OME vs Iron Man

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

OME vs Iron Man

Post by zepplin »

I am truly afraid of the diatribe which I'm sure will follow but can I have some input from the esteemed boffins on this subject?
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Re: OME vs Iron Man

Post by Knersus »

Zepplin I have asked the same question on another forum and decided to install OME suspension at the end of the day. In my humble opinion I think Ironman is also a great suspension and I think the foam cell shocks is possibly the best at this stage. I have compared the OME to the Ironman and it is clearly that OME is realy the most better worked off suspension. So at the end of the day I installed the OME soft pack but I did put a extra blade in the rear leave springs to accomodate the load should I load my bakkie. My first test with the new suspension was last week on a fishing trip to Meob bay in Namibia and we drove trough the desert to reach the destination between Ludritz and W/ bay. I must admit, I thought I was driving a new vehicle as the OME suspension improved the ride by 200%. I will guarantee you that you will never believe the difference if you have not done the conversion yet. I fully recommend that all SFA hi lux owners should considder a OME suspension as you will think you are driving a new vehicle :D
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I also chose the OME route. Remember, OME includes the front steering damper while Ironman do not. The additional cost for the damper is about R1000.

There were reports of Ironman springs going soft after a few years, but I cannot validate that, perhaps others have more reliable information in this regard.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Scotty
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: An SFA is in my future

Post by Scotty »

My Hilux is having OME fitted next Monday.

I've taken over 6 weeks to look at all the different suspension systems available and we're paying extra to get the OME, as opposed to Ironman etc. No-one has anything bad to say about OME. I know nothing is foolproof, and bad driving etc. can cause damage to suspensions, but the track record seems to speak for itself.

Some of the shops in CT have really "pushed" Ironman when I was looking for quotes, and said that there is no difference between the two. :wink: But who knows with salesmen!! ( BTW - I've had great service at some places and terrible service at others :x )

On the cost side, taking re-greasable shackles escalates the cost by up to R2500, so we're sticking with our old shackles for now.

The OME handbook also doesn't take into account which OME suspension you choose. For example, for our 87 Hilux, the book says you only need one new U-bolt, but the old U- Bolts (on the standard Toy leafs) are not long enough to accomomdate all the blades in the new OME leafs we are choosing to fit. So we need new U-bolts all round. ( which is a good idea anyway :) )

We are fitting the "comfort" 5-blade leafs in the front and 250kg constant 7-blade suspension in the back. If we fit a bbar/ winch we may add an an extra leaf up front. We want to feel the ride with the comfort option first.

We aren't using the car around town, so hard suspension at the back is there for trips with a big load.

In all, it seems difficult to compare Ironman and OME because there is a big difference in price. If the Ironman turns out to be a trusty option maybe I'll kick myself in a few years time when they have some market share and their prices have sky-rocketted.

We are going to be using our Hilux for a big trip for up to 8 months next year - I want the reassurance of the OME track record under my chassis :D

Scotty
2009 X-Trail (great car, but not an SFA)
1997 Defender 90 2.8i (great vehicle, but not an SFA)
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Scotty

Just remember in Aus IronMan has been around for 40 years already.
Scotty
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: An SFA is in my future

Post by Scotty »

Hi Bennie
Just remember in Aus IronMan has been around for 40 years already.
Yes - a very valid point. And something that many of the salesmen pointed out too.

I'm a funny bugger in this regard - I think I just 'trust' the first-hand experience of my friends/ forum folks who've mostly used OME than the feedback and experience from abroad. In a few years time I guess there
will be a similar amount of home-grown Ironman experience to draw from.

One other thing on the OME front - some 4x4 outfitters hinted at a difference between the quality of OME parts manufactured in Australia ( the parts on which the legend is built) and parts now manufactured in Malaysia. "First world parts versus third-world parts" as one salesman put it. In the end none of them could pinpont defects in the Malysian-made parts, but just "expressed a concern" I guess you'd call it.

I have no idea if there is a difference. Anyone have some first-hand experience :?:

Scotty
2009 X-Trail (great car, but not an SFA)
1997 Defender 90 2.8i (great vehicle, but not an SFA)
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Knersus »

Scotty I will guarantee you that the money spend on your Hi lux suspension is worth every cent.
8) There is only one negative aspect on my OME suspension...... I should have done the conversion the first day I got my vehicle.

As I also mentioned Ironman is not a bad suspension but compare the leave springs with each other and see what the difference is when it come's to the manufacturing of the leave springs. :?: So that is clearly why OME is a slight more expensive.
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
Jaco
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Somerset-West
Vehicle: 2.2P Hilux DC 4x4

Post by Jaco »

What is the current price one can expect to pay for OME and Ironman for a '94 model D/C (The last of the 2.2P)
regards
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Earlier this year I priced the differences between OME & IM suspension kits. The IM kit was less than R2000 cheaper, and included new U-bolts. But OME included a new steering damper, which for some reason IM do not include in their kits. OME do not supply you with new U-bolts, bar one which is a longer one and is required. The steering damper on its own is about R1000 as well, so there is not such a large difference in overall costs. The standard steering damper on my Hilux had long since given up the ghost, it would work better as a paper weight.

Overall cost difference then was about R600, so I elected to go for the OME as there were reports that IM leaves went soft after a couple of years and began to sag. In fairness to them, that problem may have now been sorted out.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Knersus »

Jaco Ironman sal goedkoper wees as jy die standaard skokbreker insit maar die prys op die foam cells verskil baie min met mekaar. Ek het betaal vir my OME kit sonder damper ,u bolts en shackels R9500-00. Ek dink nie dis regtig nodig om te vervang nie maar as jy die volle stel neem gaan jy kyk na R12 000-00 vir OME.

Glo my maar dis die geld werd jy het 'n ander voertuig.
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”