hilux extra cab sag with new bumper?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
duikerHilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: vredendal
Vehicle: 2012 3.0 hilux club cab 4x4

Post by duikerHilux »

Hi Guys

Im planning on putting the rhino 4x4 evolution bumper on my 2012 hilux extra cab. I wantto know if it will sag alot? I have ironman 50mm lift infront but i dont have the heavy coils to put it like that. Will this 45kg bumper make it sag and if so can i just put in spacers to bring it back up. Dont want to go and fit new coils again. Suspension only 2 months old. Any guys out there with some helpfull info? Thanks
Attachments
IMG-20141107-WA0008.jpg
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: hilux extra cab sag with new bumper?

Post by Mud Dog »

It's standing nice and level! :thumbup: I don't think that the bumper alone will be too bad although I've heard a few comments about them being too heavy. There's no doubt that it will drop slightly in front but not sure it will be too much - bumper + winch will make a bigger difference, so if you plan on fitting a winch in the future as well, then you might have to look at beefing up the coils. The Vigo owners that have done it could give you a better opinion. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
duikerHilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by duikerHilux »

Yeah its nice and level now. It settled alot after the installation tho. So yeah want it to stay like this. Just for argument sake lets say it sags 14mm which i damn well hope not....can i put a 10mm spacer in (seeing you get about 1.4mm lift per 1mm on the spacer if that makes sense) just to pop it back up. That wont affect my suspension or ride in anyway....will it?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Nah, 10mm is not excessive at all, believe you can go up to 30mm spacer without much drama but beyond that the CV's take some strain on full extension. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Hangover
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

Mud Dog wrote:Nah, 10mm is not excessive at all, believe you can go up to 30mm spacer without much drama but beyond that the CV's take some strain on full extension. ;-)
I dont think you can go 30mm spacer with the already lifted Iron man suspension. 10mm spacer might be difficult because of bolt height that fasten the spacer to the coil/shock. I think minimum heigh will be in the area of 15mm if you look at the 4x4direct spacers
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

OOPS! You're right Stef .... read the Ironman lift as 30mm instead of 50mm. An additional 10mm spacer might still work though. Next option is to drop the diff a little to accommodate more lift. ;-)

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

when Johan Tires fitted Ironman to my Hilux we had a proper discussion about what I planned for the Hilux ....

went for the heavy duty coils as the bumper was next on the list.

I do believe it WILL sag with the extra weight.

adding spacers will level it - at the cost of suspension travel ....
duikerHilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by duikerHilux »

Yes but i already have the 50mm lift. So i mean if the bumper makes the front sag a little i can just rectofy it with small spacers. I have medium ironman in front. Do you think that the rhino evolution bumper 46kg will make it drop a lot? And can you guys maybe post some before and after pics of yoir 50mm suspension lofts and before after replacemnet bumpers.

Will post mine as soon as i get it fitted. Her is a better pic after my 50mm iron man lift after it settled.
Attachments
IMG-20141111-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20141111-WA0006.jpg
duikerHilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by duikerHilux »

Ive got extended shackles in the back...tyres are cooper st maxx 265/65/17

Doea the whole lift and sitting look about rite?
duikerHilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by duikerHilux »

I didnt even see all the replies here.... thanks guys. This is my first 4x4 that im doing up so just want to get as much info as possible on it all. So then new coils will have to be the way forward....after i did my front suspension i had to wait a day for the shackles to arrive....my hilux looked like an hyena...ass down low...after the shackles it leveled out nice but my nose then dropped alot after it settled. Now it is stil level...after it settled...now shouldnt the rear then be higher than the front it was level before it settled.....does that mean the rear also dropped down?
DerikB
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: 2018 Hilux 2.8 XtraCab 4x4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: HC143

Post by DerikB »

Cornel what is your distance measurement from the bottom of the rim to the bottom of the fender?

Mine is sitting on 770mm with a 30mm 4x4direct spacer and a 5mm toyota? Spacer. I added the 5mm spacer to compensate for the onca bullbar that I estimate around 50-60kg.

I read on the forum you should not exceed 780mm infront, but I reckon that is with 16" rims. So I am right on the limit if you convert to 17".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Derik

2011 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D-4D XtraCab 4x4 - ONCA Bar & Rock Sliders, Spacer Lift.
2013 Ford Figo TDCi
ORRA VHF Call Sign: B78
duikerHilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by duikerHilux »

I am at 800 in front and 840 in the back at the moment. The rhino bumper is about 46kg. Im pretty sure ive got medium ironman in the front. So then if it dips a little after the bumper i can just up it with a very small spacer to get it back ti where it is now...? And hopefully the ride stays the same...soft
DerikB
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: 2018 Hilux 2.8 XtraCab 4x4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: HC143

Post by DerikB »

Nice lift! Maybe wait and see how much it drops, for every 10mm you can add a 5mm spacer to the top of the strut.

Derik

2011 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D-4D XtraCab 4x4 - ONCA Bar & Rock Sliders, Spacer Lift.
2013 Ford Figo TDCi
ORRA VHF Call Sign: B78
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

When they install IRONMAN you SHOULD get a document stating all the before and after hights, AND it should be checked again after 1000km, a copy of this document then gets sent away for your warantee. THIS document will state exactly what was installed.
duikerHilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by duikerHilux »

Thanks Chris. Will deff go and ask for that doc. All seems good and well. So just making sure everything is as it should be. Shackles in the back look good and the leafs so must be my eyes and mind playing with me. Looks good so far anyway juat want it to stay like this ;)
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bethal MP
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 4x4 AT extended cab.
Club VHF Licence: X84

Post by Rollercoaster639 »

Measure the height now as it is. Now open the bonnet put a small blanket on the front part to stop any scratching. On top of the blanket load op bag of dry cement which is 50kg. Move the bakkie forward and backwards allowing the suspension to adjust then measure it again. This will give you an very good idea of what it will do.
rood
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Polokwane
Vehicle: 4LT V6 Prado 120, 3L Extra cab D4d 4x4, Suzuki SJ413

Post by rood »

duikerHilux wrote:Hi Guys

Im planning on putting the rhino 4x4 evolution bumper on my 2012 hilux extra cab. I wantto know if it will sag alot? I have ironman 50mm lift infront but i dont have the heavy coils to put it like that. Will this 45kg bumper make it sag and if so can i just put in spacers to bring it back up. Dont want to go and fit new coils again. Suspension only 2 months old. Any guys out there with some helpfull info? Thanks

Hoeveel weeg jy? As jy meer as die gewig van die replacement bumper weeg, sit voor op die bakkie se neus en dat iemand n foto neem, dan kan jy mos sien hoe baie die neus gaan hang[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

rood wrote:
duikerHilux wrote:Hi Guys

Hoeveel weeg jy? As jy meer as die gewig van die replacement bumper weeg, sit voor op die bakkie se neus en dat iemand n foto neem, dan kan jy mos sien hoe baie die neus gaan hang[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
uhm ja ... paar van ons manne kan daai nudge bar se mountings buig ....

hy sal maar n ligewig moet kies om te help ....
duikerHilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by duikerHilux »

Hahahha my maat as ek op daai bakkie se neus gaan sit dan kort ek hele nuwe voorstel. Sal maar my buurman moet aanstel. Daai is n goeie idee.....sien dus hoekom ek hier vir hulp kom vra. Sal maar sien as ek by die huis kom desember hie dit lyk na die bumper.
janvg
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bronkhorstspruit
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner

Post by janvg »

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11 ... ea5374.jpg[/img]

Hier is my neef se vigo met n rhino bumper op.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
JacoBredenkamp
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D 4x4

Post by JacoBredenkamp »

DuikerHilux - please refrain from adding spacers to any aftermarket suspension, i do know you will loose the warrantee on the front shocks if you do!! Rather replace the front coils with the Load front coils, you should get back you're money if you sell the performance coils if they're still fairly new !!!

MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

On a standard vehicle the 20mm spacer lifts the front by around 38mm......

After fitting the bumper you should not get more than 10mm sag.....
It is better to install the stronger springs as some people have stated.....

I see you have a 40mm difference from front to rear now which does not sound right....
Contact the fitment place and query that first, with the ironman suspensions that we have fitted I only get around 15 to 25mm higher at the rear on most vehicles.....
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”