Help - Strange noise from Hilux (IFS)

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Difflock
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux Legend 35

Help - Strange noise from Hilux (IFS)

Post by Difflock »

Hi fellow Hiluxers,

I'm in need of assistance. Recently my Hilux developed a strange sound. I drive a 2004 2.7i double cab 4X4. The sound occurs under the following conditions: acceleration from stationary position or from slow idle when depressing the accelerator a little harder than normal. The sound is as if the rear tyres are spinning during the pull away or a slipping type of sound however after testing it on different surfaces the sound was the same so I dont think it is the sound of spinning tyres. It is definitely coming from the rear or somewhere in middle from underneath the vehicle. I recently repaired a cracked leaf spring and since then the sound developed. I just cannot think that that might have something to do with it. I have had the car checked out but the fault could not be diagnosed. Very little to no information is available on the internet (or perhaps I'm searching for the wrong thing). Does anyone have any ideas? :frustrated:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Help - Strange noise from Hilux (IFS)

Post by Mud Dog »

....... acceleration from stationary position or from slow idle when depressing the accelerator a little harder than normal
Hi Ruan, are we to understand that this happens when the vehicle is stationary (in neutral) as well? Sometimes the origin of a sound can be deceptive, one might for example think it's coming from the rear but it may be more central.

If I understand your description, this happens also when stationary, and that would eliminate the drive train - it would only include the gearbox input (spigot) shaft if in neutral. Could also be emanating from the clutch, release bearing, spigot bearing or the motor itself.

If on the other hand it only happens when running in gear under acceleration, it could be a host of things causing it, but since you say it started after suspension work, that would be the first area to examine, although that may be purely co-incidental. Check the rear wheel bearings for a start and look to see if there are any signs of the tyres / wheels fouling against something. Look also at the levers on the inside of the drums that control the handbrake.

Next would be diff, pinion and propshaft .... hope it doesn't get that far.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Difflock
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Difflock »

If I understand your description, this happens also when stationary...

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response.

The sound is heard when accelerating only in first gear. It is not a constant sound but rather a 'che che' slipping type sound (the sound of a spinning tyre on tar). When releasing the clutch slowly when in first gear there is no sound. When releasing the clutch a little faster with more / sudden load on the system a distinct 'che che che' sound (between 3-4 che ches's depending on how quick I release the clutch. When I just crawl in first gear the slipping sound is heard when stepping on the accelerator - no sound on a down hill, a 'che' sound on a flat surface and a 'che che' on an uphill. When releasing the clutch the sound is more pronounced but because it happens also without the clutch being involved I guess anything to do with the clutch is ruled out. When slowly driving in 2nd or 3rd and depressing the accelerator there is no sound although the load is significantly less.

There is also a very light intermittent vibration coming from the engine bay at higher speeds. I can feel it in the accelerator pedal and almost throughout the vehicle. Don't know if this might have something to do with it. I had the prop shaft, Universals and centre bearing checked but nothing was found out of spec.

I had a look underneath the vehicle as well and there are no signs of the wheels fouling against something. My mechanical skills is not that developed yet so in all honesty I don't know what I'm looking for. The car has been taken to a mechanic who services my vehicles 3 times with no luck. The next stop would be Toyota themselves but I was hoping someone here might have had a similar problem which would allow me to be a bit more specific when taking the vehicle in. My experience with Toyota is that they tend to replace items quicker than they try to really diagnose a problem.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Let your mechanic also examine the engine and gearbox mounts. From what you're now telling me I it sounds like the motor / gearbox are "wrapping" under torque, and if it 'wraps' (twists) far enough, something is fouling / touching something else - like the prop shaft touching the exhaust or something else - could also be a pulley wheel or fanbelt touching against something in the engine bay. If indeed something is fouling in this fashion, bear in mind that the mountings may not always be at fault, but could also be that what is being fouled against is fitted / set too close or has shifted too close.

I'm almost sure that one of the above is what's causing it. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D

Post by Aquanaut »

My first thought was that the pinion was starting wear. Up hills noise, down hill nothing.
Difflock
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Difflock »

If it is the pinion, woudn't it be more of a whining, metallic or grinding type noise?
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Check engine mounts. I found it a few times that one engine mount broke. A way to check is to look on the engine fan. Look at the tips if it touched the radiator cowling.

Check centre bearing on the prop.

For interest check U-Bolts on the leafsprings in back.
Difflock
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Difflock »

I don't know. Am taking the car back to the leaf spring guys to check. Will take comments back from this forum for some fault finding with the mechanic.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Do you hear the sound when driving straight or when turning?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Difflock
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Difflock »

Both. It happens during the acceleration
Difflock
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Difflock »

Hi Guys,

I've recorded the sound from underneath the vehicle. Listen carefully to the background noise you'll hear the strange screeching sound. Any guesses?

Check the video at: V2CLD.com/gfnuks
Willem01
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: het nie 1 nie

Post by Willem01 »

Hou op sukkel, vat die bakkie na Louis toe hy is n expert en sal gou vir jou kan sê wat dit is...hy ken die lux'e
Difflock
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Difflock »

Wa kry ek vir Louis in die hande?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

4x4Megaworld Menlyn :thumbup:

Difflock
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Difflock »

Dankie. Sal da probeer
Difflock
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: Help - Strange noise from Hilux (IFS) - feedback

Post by Difflock »

Hi Guys, Some feedback. I took the Hilux to Louis. He spotted the problem almost immediately. The center bearing was not properly aligned. I did fit a new one but straight after that I repaired a broken leaf spring and had the leafsprings reset. This must have pushed it out of alignment since the noise developed after the leafsprings were reset.

Thanks again Louis!!
Willem01
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: het nie 1 nie

Post by Willem01 »

cool..bly jy's uitgesort

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”