2SO in newer model Hiluxes

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Post Reply
johanvb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:35 pm
Town: Welgelegen Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Legend 45
Real Name: Johan

Who here uses 2SO in their newer model Hiluxes/Fortuners?

I have used it in my 2007 Nissan from the 1st day i bought her, new, she now has 120 000km on the clock and never have I had any problems..

So I am eager to use this in the Legend 45...but also a bit weary...therefore want to know who does use it.

I use the WPenn special two stroke oil in the Nissan.
User avatar
Hangover
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Posts: 1391
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:55 am
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux
Real Name: Stef

Somebody posted something somewhere that for some reason i cant find that is based on a study that 2SO not only gives you kakker fuel consumption but also buggers up your injectors. I will keep looking
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
User avatar
Hangover
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Posts: 1391
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:55 am
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux
Real Name: Stef

Got it...
17311_956156971102815_1124911651848294563_n.jpg
17311_956156971102815_1124911651848294563_n.jpg (39.66 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Posts: 1440
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 12:33 pm
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4
Real Name: Marnus
Location: Pretoria Oos
Contact:

Dit is al heelwat bespreek Johan. 'n Soek op die forum sal vinnig vir jou resultate lewer. Ek het 'n artikel gelees wat deur Sasol gedoen is. Dit is vir my deurslaggewend.

Hier is die skakel na die bespreking op die forum.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38841&p=461014#p461014
User avatar
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Posts: 6659
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 11:16 am
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: Prado 90 VX 3.4 V6
Real Name: George
Club VHF Licence: HC107
Location: Langebaan
Contact:

Ek het ook baie daaroor probeer lees en het ook op n stadium dit gebruik. Eerstens kon ek nie werklik n verskil voel nie en dink dis maar n placebo effek.
Daar is baie mense wat sweer daar by en baie mense nie.

Ek dink een van die redes hoekom die nuwe enjins nie meer sooo lank hou nie is die EGR stelsel.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
User avatar
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Posts: 8280
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:56 pm
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy
Real Name: Chris

george wrote:Ek het ook baie daaroor probeer lees en het ook op n stadium dit gebruik. Eerstens kon ek nie werklik n verskil voel nie en dink dis maar n placebo effek.
Daar is baie mense wat sweer daar by en baie mense nie.

Ek dink een van die redes hoekom die nuwe enjins nie meer sooo lank hou nie is die EGR stelsel.
kyk ook na die Europese en Amerikaanse markte - voertuie word net n paar jaar gebruik ....


dus word dit nie meer gemaak om 20 jaar en 500 000km te hou nie .....
User avatar
4ePikanini
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:14 pm
Town: East London - Thorn Park
Vehicle: Touareg R5 TDi
Real Name: Marius Fourie
Location: East London
Contact:

Then why is the internet filled with good stories of 2SO and almost no stories of bad experiences with 2SO?

Until a test is done by an independent source that has nothing to gain or to lose by either result (and is not bound by legislation) I will believe in my own logic and own findings.
User avatar
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Posts: 8280
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:56 pm
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy
Real Name: Chris

4ePikanini wrote:Then why is the internet filled with good stories of 2SO and almost no stories of bad experiences with 2SO?

Until a test is done by an independent source that has nothing to gain or to lose by either result (and is not bound by legislation) I will believe in my own logic and own findings.
and a PROPER test would include multiple vehicles, then more vehicles for a "double blind" to ensure a proper reference point.

These vehicles would have to do 100 000 to 200 000 km EACH to actually get the engine parts to the point where the actual impact/effect of 2SO could truly be be seen.

Oooo ... and best to start with a fleet of brand new vehicles to ensure the final results are truly untainted.


AND, this fleet would need a route which would ensure only similar quality diesel is used throughout .....



short of a fleet owner it would be virtually impossible to actually perform such a test without spending many millions !!! And anybody spending that type of money cant be seen as "independant" .....



slight catch 22 .... :siffler: :surrender:
User avatar
4ePikanini
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:14 pm
Town: East London - Thorn Park
Vehicle: Touareg R5 TDi
Real Name: Marius Fourie
Location: East London
Contact:

exactly. Hence why I look at the many many many reports by owners. They have nothing to gain or lose by sharing their experience.
johanvb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:35 pm
Town: Welgelegen Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Legend 45
Real Name: Johan

Thanks I have followed the discussions on 4x4community forum...at length :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

But just wondered if there were some new vehicle owners that use 2SO in their bakkies or cars.

Maybe the results given above are to discourage people from using 2SO, as it does lengthen the life span of a vehicle...

I have only seen good in using 2SO...and yes the proof is still to be given that it is good or bad.
User avatar
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:28 pm
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2014 Suzuki Jimny Fully kitted with every extra you can imagine that is available for a Jimny
Real Name: Thomas
Location: Port Elizabeth

johanvb wrote:Thanks I have followed the discussions on 4x4community forum...at length :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

But just wondered if there were some new vehicle owners that use 2SO in their bakkies or cars.

Maybe the results given above are to discourage people from using 2SO, as it does lengthen the life span of a vehicle...

I have only seen good in using 2SO...and yes the proof is still to be given that it is good or bad.
Technology is changing daily, what worked before on 2005 model vehicles, won't necessary work on 2015 vehicles (in a positive way). I remember when I was in machine design for the automotive industry, even a wrong "type" of oil in a vehicle can cause big problems (for instance - when I had an Amarok, oil specified for them was VW505.01 for non DPF), If you use normal Shell diesel oil....well....don't want to think about it. Now adding 2SO to a fuel tank.....I don't know, I'm a mechanical engineer, not chemical engineer......
Sent from my iPhone
Image
Image
User avatar
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Posts: 8280
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:56 pm
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy
Real Name: Chris

Rebel 4x4 wrote:
johanvb wrote:Thanks I have followed the discussions on 4x4community forum...at length :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

But just wondered if there were some new vehicle owners that use 2SO in their bakkies or cars.

Maybe the results given above are to discourage people from using 2SO, as it does lengthen the life span of a vehicle...

I have only seen good in using 2SO...and yes the proof is still to be given that it is good or bad.
Technology is changing daily, what worked before on 2005 model vehicles, won't necessary work on 2015 vehicles (in a positive way). I remember when I was in machine design for the automotive industry, even a wrong "type" of oil in a vehicle can cause big problems (for instance - when I had an Amarok, oil specified for them was VW505.01 for non DPF), If you use normal Shell diesel oil....well....don't want to think about it. Now adding 2SO to a fuel tank.....I don't know, I'm a mechanical engineer, not chemical engineer......
also got some papers on the wall .... and some experience ......


absolutely nothing in my experience or training that will prompt me to add 2SO, ProLong or any other snake oil to a new vehicle .....



but thats just me :cooldude: :tease: :siffler:
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Posts: 1440
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 12:33 pm
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4
Real Name: Marnus
Location: Pretoria Oos
Contact:

I agree Chris. Sasol stand nothing to gain by bringing out such a report. They may actually sell less 2SO as a result of it. They also simply don't care how long cars last as the old one will simply be replaced with a new one.
Post Reply

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”