Lifting the front end.

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Bibendum
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 v6 4x4

Lifting the front end.

Post by Bibendum »

I want to lift the front of my Hilux with 20 to 30mm in order to get a more level look. I am going to refit the winch as well. It is a 2010 4.0v6. Who would be the best person or company to do it for me in the westrand area. Would this affect the alignment at all?
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Re: Lifting the front end.

Post by MOFASA »

That can be done at any 4x4 fitment centre.
They must use a 20mm spacer on the top of the shock assembly / strut, that will give you 40mm on the wheel and it will be within spec.
The alignment WILL need to be redone but it is not a problem at all.
When I was the manager at Opposite lock centurion we did hundreds like that and no come backs.

1 Thing to keep in mind is that ball joints will now be working on a new angle which is not a major concern at all.

As far as the winch is concerned I would suggest that you rather upgrade the front suspension for the extra weight.
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

The winch will add another 45 to 50kg - causing the nose to dip even further.

Using spacers to get it level will just pre-compress the suspension ... okay for road, but not the way to go for off raod were where you NEED as much suspension travel as possible.

Rather get an aftermarket suspension, even if it is just for the front. DO tell the fitment centre what you need it to do, ie lift and carry the extra weight. In the Ironman series this was the 2nd or 3rd set in the cataloque ....

60 ooo km later I am happy I went this route :)
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

Go see Darryl @ Mikem Suspension!!!
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Hi, have a look at these:
http://www.4x4direct.co.za/suspension-a ... -p-386.htm

http://www.4x4direct.co.za/suspension-a ... -p-571.htm

This will solve your problem, but you would still need to upgrade your suspension.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Bibendum
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 v6 4x4

Post by Bibendum »

Thanks for all the feedback and help. I will look at suspension as well.
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: durban
Vehicle: D4D hilux DC $X$

Post by Lorry »

Hi guys.
sharing my experiance.
Front spacers areto make the the van look level and all things nice. but not really that safe.My friend fitted the spacers 50mm but didnt change the front shocks, so when he went over a speed bump he sheared the front shock shaft due to the extra travel that the spacer gave. the shock shaft sits further out of its casing due to the spacer, when the compression happnes the shaft is more out of its casing and the shaft will bend or shear. Food for thought, if you are going to raise the suspension then remember to change the whole lot, springs shocks etc etc.stronger springs if you are fitting a bull bar and winch, so that you dont hit your sump when going over rocks. Then you know it is done correctly and that you will be safe when driving around.
Buffel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C v6 4x4 VVTI & SFA D/C 4X4 Lexus

Post by Buffel »

Done the spacing 25 mm at Super Quick a on my 2.7 and on the V6 4x4 they also did the wheel alignment afterwards. I however bought aftermarket 15" rims with a better negative offset done more than 100 000 km over the 2 years of dirt road driving with no issues.
http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/Busht ... sort=3&o=8http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/Busht ... sort=3&o=9Hilux v6 vvti 4.0 4x4 & SFA D/C Lockers front and rear v8 Lexus 35" BF Muds + Winch
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Was the leafspring pedestals(seats) reinforced the right way? If its not been right ANY Front Leafspring pack will let the front drop.

Met die spacers. As dit sonder gewig is voor go for it. Met 'n Winch, oorweeg die aftermarket suspensie.
Attachments
DSCF0680.JPG
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

okay so here is my experience with getting the Hilux level ....

My Hilux had 500km on when the front left sagged, jip, less than 1 000 km on the clock !! I took it back to Toyota Barloworld Tygervalley .... I got a print out of a recall bulletin - the cab was fitted wrong onto the chassis and they ordered bushes/spacers and where going to level the cab onto the chassis !!

The bakkie was already booked for a bumper with Burnco, so I took it to Hein and showed him the bulletin, AND lamented the fact that the cab WAS level .... onto the rig and measured up the various key points .... the front suspension had dropped some 20mm.

I could have picked a fight with Toyota, but as the aftermarket parts were already ordered I was not going to waste time with the dealer.

Hein fitted the bumper and a temporary make shift spacer on the one side. The Hilux stood level again, though with the nose down attitude. :)

Off to First Allignment Centre and Johan fitted Ironman suspension to the front. Now the bakkie stood LEVEL, side to side and front to back. Once I kitted the camper it went back for the rear suspension

NOTE:
- Johan took rim to fender measurements before any work was done.
- He took another set of measurements of rim to fender while I watched (actually he made a concerted effort to show me)
- One week later I had to come back for yet another measurement - to make sure everything was still sorted.
- Now the last details were added to the warantee slip, and I had to send it to Ironman.

Thus ALL dimensions were properly recorded. It was also made clear to expect a few mm sag over time, but it should be even.

60 000 km later I am still a VERY happy client

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”