Buying concerns 3.0 D4D or 4.0 V6

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Buying concerns 3.0 D4D or 4.0 V6

Post by Scooter »

Hey guys

Been a long time since I have had been on the forum and I have no excuse other than I hate sitting at a desk in front of a PC :shh:

I am currently looking at upgrading to a newer Hilux, well newer than my current SFA ('94)
I was looking mainly at the 3.0 D4D or a 2.7 Petrol. After doing some research I found that those guys that know reckon the 2.7 petrol is as thirsty as the 4.0 V6 hence a change in thought pattern moves to the V6.

More research says the D4D could have expensive injector issues with an older vehicle. I will still be buying a 10 year old vehicle with around 200 000 km on the clock and I dont want to have issues off the bat.

Everything I can find on the subject says the V6 is a good motor bar the consumption which actually more or less matches my current SFA only giving me way more power.

Any comments, experiences that will make the choice easier or things to look for when checking out the vehicles?

Have your say :thumbup:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Obelix and Dogmatix
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Re: Buying concerns 3.0 D4D or 4.0 V6

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!V6 is the way to go!!
and they get stolen a little less than the D4D. love mine first one was stolen and brought exactly the same vehicle again.
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I loved my V6, but as an every day city drive is was just too expensive on fuel. My D4D's worst fuel consumption(7.8km/l) is still better than the V6's best(7.3km/l). Both are auto's. We won't talk about the V6's worst fuel consumption! I agree though that if you looking at a 10yr old vehicle I'd probably also opt for the petrol. That all being said the V6's sell for a lot less than a same year model 3L D4D!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

V6, Bretton! That throbbing engine sound is good for your heart. As you state, fuel consumption of any petrol Hilux remains the same, only difference is in the much-improved performance of a V6.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Recently did a trip with a Legend 35 2,7 petrol.

Okay, we were idling along at about 110km/h gps speed.

8,16km/l average over 2 200km.

and the extra power available to pass trucks :yahoo: :celebrate:

For a daily driver - the fuel consumption of a 4 l V6 may be a tad thirsty .... :mocking:

But for a holiday vehicle the low maintenance nature of a petrol motor is VERY tempting !!!

And this from someone with a D-4D ....
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Thanks for the input gents.

Whilst I understand the fuel consumption is shocking it is not really worse than I currently have with the SFA.
Im currently getting around 6km / L :shock2: and thats with a new fong kong motor. I have tried everything to get it better, bar EFI. One thing I can say is that it is constant at least.

I use my vehicle almost everyday for lugging building materials and then of course for holidays and whilst the SFA is great for the building side Im afraid 10 years of being uncomfortable on holiday trips is enough.

The way I see it, if I am trading crap consumption and slow speeds for crap consumption and all the power Ill ever need then thats trading up :thumbup:

Also the insurance on the D4D will cost around R250 more per month and yes as Bretton says the price of the diesel is also more but they seem to have more issues when older :shock2:

Have there been any major issues with the V6 motors that anyone has come across?
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

I have a D4D Tuna and consumption is about 10km/L

Remember, the first gen D4D without the DPF etc. has better consumption than the newer models.

The V6 is Waaay quicker though.
Comes down to personal preference. I like the low down torque of the Diesel for offroading
Real drivers use three pedals
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Listen properly... you are going to buy the V6... your mind is made up... you're just looking for confirmation... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: durban
Vehicle: D4D hilux DC $X$

Post by Lorry »

Hi, i own a d4d and it is 10 years old now with 130 000km on the clock. I have just had an injector issue, luckly it was only a broken wire on the 3rd injector which was reparied quickly and cheaply, however the cost to replace all the injectors one is looking at about 17K. I have also driving the 4. also a double cab 4x4,for a long period of time. Nice to drive with regards to the autobox around town but on the freeway when going up a hill if you dont manualy kick down a gear before the hill and you accelarate it drops down and you launch up the hill, you then have to back off on the power and then it kicks back into 5th. , but the fuel consuption was heavy ,for me going from a d4d to the 4l. +- 750 km on the d4d as appossed to 550km on the 4.l so think about fitting a long range tank. The only thing that I would change on the 4l is the exhasut pipe that hangs under the gearbox cross memeber . I would change that as the owner of the 4l hit that on a rock. in the end it is still a Toyota .
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Thys, Howd you guess all I needed was a slight push in the right direction...... :twisted:

Lorenzo, thanks for the input. I am leaning toward the V6 and in an Auto but have also read about the hunting for gears up a hill. How much of an issue was it really?

I guess changing injectors on the diesel is not that pricey and with the money saved on fuel would be easier to bear.

This is a fight with myself Im just not winning :blackeye: :blackeye:
ThysdJ
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Scott.... I read between the lines... :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Scooter wrote:Thanks for the input gents.

Whilst I understand the fuel consumption is shocking it is not really worse than I currently have with the SFA.
Im currently getting around 6km / L :shock2: and thats with a new fong kong motor. I have tried everything to get it better, bar EFI. One thing I can say is that it is constant at least.

I use my vehicle almost everyday for lugging building materials and then of course for holidays and whilst the SFA is great for the building side Im afraid 10 years of being uncomfortable on holiday trips is enough.

The way I see it, if I am trading crap consumption and slow speeds for crap consumption and all the power Ill ever need then thats trading up :thumbup:

Also the insurance on the D4D will cost around R250 more per month and yes as Bretton says the price of the diesel is also more but they seem to have more issues when older :shock2:

Have there been any major issues with the V6 motors that anyone has come across?
so you ARE getting the V6 PETROL ... :twisted: :twisted:
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: durban
Vehicle: D4D hilux DC $X$

Post by Lorry »

I am pro both . both have there good points and bad points. the hunting was an issue with me, but a slight change in driving style sorted that out. the hunting really became an issue when in cruize control. but you learn very quickly how to over come it, just move the lazy stick on the left down one notch and problem solved.
i like the d4d for the range it gives me and i am happy with it, My friend swears only by the 4l. he has had the hilux ,FJ and now the prado, all are very nice to drive,and pretty much gave the same result. at the end of the day these things arent eco cars and never will be, they are built tuff for what we need to do with them,when 4x4 no matter what you drive d4d or petrol your consumption goes out the window. So they drink more. Just enjoy the experiance and the confort that now matter what you will always get there.
BM000
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Post by BM000 »

Buy the V6, driving mine for a few weeks now and it's awesome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stumps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Toyota 4.0L D/C 4x4; Camil
Club VHF Licence: X225

Post by stumps »

V6 for sure. And do yourself the favour of auto. Had mine for about 3 years now. What a pleasure

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk
2008 Hilux 4.0L 4x4 (Mufasa)
Toyota 4.0L D/C 4x4; Camil suspesion, Long Range tank, Kilber snorkel

1Co 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain;

http://www.sandriver.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.travelconsortium.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
STAMPIE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: '05 4L V6 DC

Post by STAMPIE »

Scott, my 1988 SFA was stolen.
I then bought a 2005 V6 manual in December, What a pleasure. Fuel consumption thus far an average of 6.7 km/l (mostly city driving). The best was 7.4 km/l including 180km open road driving at 120km/h.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

My cousin had a V6 Fortuner auto and his mate a D4D manual.

Towing the same trailers at the same speed, on the same trip, the V6 achieved 5.5km/L and the D4D 6.5km/L.

Why would you want to sukkel with a D4D then?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
jafman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Karachi
Vehicle: HILUX RAIDER HERITAGE EDITION 2011 V6 4.0

Post by jafman »

V6 dude, no question.

I love mine.

With the ESP off it makes the most wonderful screeching and screaming noises when it roasts its tyres.

Sounds you only hear in movies.

Go for it.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

So after all the non biased V6 votes I decided to against the norm........NOT.

I now possess a machine that is a joy to drive with all that power in the V6.

I will now be selling my SFA so those that are looking for one keep an eye out for mine shortly.

I still love my SFA though and drove it today. It really has a much more rugged feel but with the V6 even swambo wants to drive in it all the time.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

20160115_182846.jpg
20160115_182916.jpg
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

Hey Congrats man! :thumbup: Just cannot see the pics..would love to though.
Those are only file names u put there.
Here is how u can do it: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Arghhhh, me and tapatalk are not friends

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Lets try again
Attachments
The old and the new
The old and the new
The new beast
The new beast
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

That is awsome Scott! :thumbup:
Many happy miles and smiles she will give u for sure.
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Walvis Bay
Vehicle: HILUX LEGEND 45 V6 4.0 4X4

Post by Alex2539 »

Congrats :thumbup: . The 4.0 V6 is nice to drive, very powerful. I love to drive my brother's one when the tank is full :yahoo:
Bonded to Yotas :cooldude:
Pietman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux V6 4L D/C 4X4

Post by Pietman »

Congrats Scott. They are awesome vehicles. Would not trade mine for anything...
EX ALTO VINCIMUS
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Now Mr. B, you just need to swap the V6 into the SFA and then sell the Vigo... :siffler:

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

baie geluk !!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Family_Dog wrote:Now Mr. B, you just need to swap the V6 into the SFA and then sell the Vigo... :siffler:

-F_D
So... F_D... when can I collect BullDog??? :twisted:

Then I'll have a SFA! :thumbup:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Bulldog safely and securely locked away! :aggresive:

-F_D

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I am still driving both around and I tell you what, it is hard to match the SFA feeling.

Yes the V6 has power but the SFA just feels more rugged and butch. It will be hard to see it go.

I do agree though FD, the V6 in the SFA would be awesome

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Scooter, when I said Mr. B I was actually referring to you - apologies. Was awestruck by the possibility of the V6 in the SFA, this would be a magic combination. I thin k Vratvark has something like this, a SFA with a V6 3.4 litre Prado engine if I'm not mistaken.

-F_D

leonlotter
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Burgersfort
Vehicle: None

Post by leonlotter »

Geluk met die bakkie!
Ek is nie n dag spyt ek het die V6 gevat nie!!!
2018 Toyota hilux double cab 2.8GD-6 auto 4x4
Obelix and Dogmatix
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Welcome to the V6 club!!!!! If you don't have to sell the sfa make it a project and use it for those fun day trail trips.
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Welcome to our ever expanding group of 6's.

Sure you will get used to the ride, if not, and you are capable, keep the SFA.

Thats what I would have have done if I could.
stumps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Toyota 4.0L D/C 4x4; Camil
Club VHF Licence: X225

Post by stumps »

Welcome to V6 club. Mooi was nog nooit lelik nie lekker nog nooit sleg nie. My V6 is the best thing i ever bought

2008 Hilux 4.0L 4x4 (Mufasa)
Toyota 4.0L D/C 4x4; Camil suspesion, Long Range tank, Kilber snorkel

1Co 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain;

http://www.sandriver.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.travelconsortium.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”