Sitting on tailgate for sundowners??

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
wtwine
Town: Acornhoek
Vehicle: Hilux SRX 2013

Sitting on tailgate for sundowners??

Post by wtwine »

Hi guys

I have a rather odd question. My wife I like nothing more than finding a good spot in the bush with a view of the sunset, and sitting on the open tailgate of our bakkie with a sundowner in hand. Before getting my 2013 SRX Hilux in December 2015, my trusty steed for many years was a 1996 Isuzu KB 280 TD. On the old 'Suzi, the tailgate was held in the horizontal position when open by two sturdy chains that were welded to the load bin and hooked into sturdy hooks on the tailgate. Two adults sitting on the open tailgate for sundowners was fine on the old 'Suzi, but we are less certain about the new Hilux, which has cables that hook onto bolts. My wife and I are not over-sized, but are the Hilux tailgate cables up to the task, or should we be thinking about a new sundowner tradition? :D:

Thanks
WT
STAMPIE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: '05 4L V6 DC

Re: Sitting on tailgate for sundowners??

Post by STAMPIE »

Wayne
According to http://www.ridertailgate.com/loading-tr ... -ramps-s1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, 300kg is still safe
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Wayne,with due respect to you and your wife sitting on an older vehicle's tailgat,without any structual mishaps, cannot really be compared to the to any of the tailgates of the latest bakkies on the market,regardless to the make of vehicle.I hace owned numerous older Hiluxes and an Isuzu and the tailgates were built stronger and sturdier.
My present vigo Hilux's tailgate is very flimsy compared to my previous Hiluxe's tailgate.
I am certain this applies across the vehicle range.
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I regularly sit on my Vigo's tailgate, especially when I am shooting competition which is at least once a month for the past six years. Then up to three guys will sit there. I have also driven around a lot on my In-Law's place with the kids (and mom) sitting there. With absolutely no ill effect. Those cables are very strong. The side that is soft is the outside due to the large surface of sheet metal. One must be very careful of denting the outside of the tailgate when closing. Use both hands and soft palms.

You really need not change your sundowner tradition. Remember. It's a Hilux!
wtwine
Town: Acornhoek
Vehicle: Hilux SRX 2013

Post by wtwine »

Thanks guys

It sounds like our sundowners are safe! :thumbup:
Oupa Stig
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

Mmm, not a question I had ever even considered....
Let's see, when loading bags of cement, the easiest is to simply dump 4 or so on the tailgate and then shift them toward the front, as lifting 50kgs over the side, through the canopy side door without tearing the bag is tricky.
And although my bakkie is the older IFS model, 2005, it has a similar cable setup to the newer Vigos.

My thoughts: a bakkie who'se tailgate cannot take the weight of two decent sized adults should not be sold as a bakkie. :cooldude:
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Oupa Stig wrote:Mmm, not a question I had ever even considered....
Let's see, when loading bags of cement, the easiest is to simply dump 4 or so on the tailgate and then shift them toward the front, as lifting 50kgs over the side, through the canopy side door without tearing the bag is tricky.
And although my bakkie is the older IFS model, 2005, it has a similar cable setup to the newer Vigos.

My thoughts: a bakkie who'se tailgate cannot take the weight of two decent sized adults should not be sold as a bakkie. :cooldude:
Totally agree .... but then, look at how some tailgates on newer bakkies bend like a banana .... :frustrated:

the cable and fixing is proper, but the tailgate itself is getting softer and softer .....

not too long, then we will have to order a bakkie without a bak, then fit a fit-for-purpose bak .... :o:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”