Looking for SFA advice Please.

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
dantjie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: kuilrivier
Vehicle: HILUX SFA LTD 2.4 EFI

Looking for SFA advice Please.

Post by dantjie »

Good day to all.

I'm sitting between tow options with my bakkie I want to know what is the best option regarding tyres (size) and off-roading with them.

I have a 2.4 petrol EFI, 45mm body lift, I want to know by the guys what would be the best option to go I have my std Ltd rims and then a set of 10j that is currently on my bakkie but would like to know what is the best option to go with, back to the 31/10.5R15 or with the 32/11.5R15 the bakkie looks nice with the 10j rims and so with the std Ltd rims too, but I want to know is there such a difference in performance or riding capability between these tire sizes and tyres also what would be better A/T or MT then the other thing is I do not drive the bakkie every day due to having a company vehicle so it stands more in the garage.

So my question is:
Is there so a difference in struggling with grip or something when 4x4, driving on sand or rocky obstacles between tyres ?
Then I would think the fuel economy will improve and engine labouring will be less when driving?

Thanx again for the help.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Looking for SFA advice Please.

Post by Family_Dog »

I tried 10" rims, ugly as hell and I don't like the wheels sticking out beyond the body. This lasted one day. Went back to 31/10.5R15, looks nicer, I'm sure the grip is better and the speedo is just about 100% accurate.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

I also agree with F-D.I have 31x10.5x15 on my SFA.My speedo is 100% correct (Garmin tested) although the odo trip meter reading is a bit out.I am very happy with my 31,s on my SFA.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Agree with the above - 31x10.5x15 on SFA works best all round. Also not too wide, and the only time you really benefit from a wide tread track is in sand and in some types of rocky terrain - however, to my mind the benefits are marginal and don't warrant the extra cost in tyres and poorer fuel economy. As FD said, with 31's the speedo is at it's most accurate. MT's offer a bit more grip than AT's but are a bit noisier on asphalt and will give you a bit less mileage, so the choice is up to you and given that you won't be using it as a daily runner, I might personally be more inclined towards the MT's.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Why is everyone so conservative... go for a set of 35's! Move the front axle forward a bit and add another 50mm suspension lift! If 35's are too hefty, go for 33's!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Admittedly it will look cool, Bretton, but the bigger the wheels the less torque at the wheels and the more strain on the drive-train. You gonna really battle up hills with anything bigger than 31's, not even talking about being loaded. :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

And remember then to start saving up for a new drive train! :subscribed:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

A Friend of mine also has a LTD, but with a Lexus, so he CAN wind up those 32's.
He has 32" MTs on the LTD mags...I can't say that I like the looks of it; best to use a wider rim.
They are hard, noisy and vibrate on the tar so not a big fan

I terms of normal tar use the 31's are best in my opinion; only benefit of MT's are what they're made for...mud. And if you do not have the kW to back those 32's or 33's you're not going anywhere, especially in black turf so it doesn't justify the extra ZAR's.
With that very same Lexus we got stuck in the rain at the dam one day; only way we got out was 4000 rpm's in 4H and believe me, no 2.4 will manage that.

I haven't been stuck yet with the 31" AT's; very good all-rounder IMO
dantjie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: kuilrivier
Vehicle: HILUX SFA LTD 2.4 EFI

Post by dantjie »

Thank you a lot guys for you thoughts on this I'm going to keep that in mind when looking for tyres got a good price on 31'' general grabbers MT so maybe I will give that a go and check, maybe I would trade my 10j for a set of 8j rims that would suit the tyre and bakkie good.

any more ideas will be most helpful :thumbup:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”