To surf or not?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Hannes van Eeden
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Jeep

To surf or not?

Post by Hannes van Eeden »

Hi everyone

Does anyone on this forum have a view on this vehicle?

https://www.olx.co.za/ad/toyota-surf-3- ... 5QYgi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see it's been for sale a while, and the price has come down. Is there something to know about?

I assume this is the KZTE motor? (with the potential head issues?)
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: To surf or not?

Post by Mud Dog »

Don't know it but the price is very good, mileage relatively low and from the pics it looks in fair to good nick generally.

A service record might be a bonus, but check or have it checked out. Could be a very good buy. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hannes van Eeden

Thanks Mud Dog, I'm looking for a reliable everyday driver for my wife (rather than the jeep!) so I'll give them a call and see. I'm just wary of a vehicle that is not selling, even at what looks like a good price.
chopper

Post by chopper »

Hannes
We use a 2000 Surf with the 2700i and really enjoy it; we've experienced it to be reliable
The only drawback is the lack of "product support" for it in the RSA - we have not been able to source a replacement windscreen for it (as an example) but might be able to source 1 in Botswana?
Thank you
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Those are lovely vehicles.
Takes the same windscreen as 2.7 Hilux. Got windscreen from Glassfit. Many suspension parts are same as either 2.7 Hilux or 90 Prado. Outer parts like flicker lenses, etc have to be imported if you need some.
But it doesn't look like this one needs anything.

Price is good, so if head gives problems, replace it once and should be fine for next 200,000 km.
Myself not very fond of the KZ engine, but there are some people who do not have problems with it.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

I just love the Surf's!!

That one looks decent, just check for rust.

And that is a Kz engine!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

Surf is a nice vehicle, just i could not get used to the tail gate where you needed to open the window (electrically) to let the tail gate down, was actually a pain main reason why i sold my one but very nice vehicle either way.
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
Hannes van Eeden

Thanks for all the input. I emailed the current owner, there is no service record, but he sounds fairly confident that I could fly down and drive it back to jhb.

I currently own a jeep xj, so importing parts (lots!) is nothing new!
chopper

Post by chopper »

Pieter
Thank you for that info :thumbup:
dantjie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: kuilrivier
Vehicle: HILUX SFA LTD 2.4 EFI

Post by dantjie »

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkies ... 0174022009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

het net die gesien per toeval :boss:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”