Maybe this is a differential problem with my Hilux?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
pbansemer
Town: Cuiaba
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D

Maybe this is a differential problem with my Hilux?

Post by pbansemer »

Good morning everyone.

I have a Hilux 3.0 D4D here in Brazil and a fact called my attention last week. When I select the H4 mode (4WD) and try to make a full circle around, no matter for with side left or right, the inside tire of rear axle slip on dirt road. This is a normal behaviour of this vehicle or there is some problem here with the rear differential? It looks like when I select the H4 mode the differential blocks, loosing its function, and make the rear axle useless from the point of view of compensate wheels speed on turn. On H2 mode, the wheels of rear axle works fine, without slip on the same test condition. Please, could anyone help me understand this situation? Thanks for attention.

PS.: my vehicle have LSD on rear axle and the ADD function equipped.
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Re: Maybe this is a differential problem with my Hilux?

Post by JohanW »

Short reply: This is normal since the hilux does not have a centre diff.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Maybe this is a differential problem with my Hilux?

Post by Mud Dog »

If it was the diff or the LSD, you would have the problem all the time, whether in H2 or H4. If the amount of slippage is small, then Johan could be correct - without a centre diff you will get a small amount of axle wind-up on turns, and the rear axle would be the one following the tighter arc, thus also with less weight (no engine) on it, it would be the one more likely to relieve the wind-up, even with the LSD. This 'problem' is usually only noticeable on tighter arcs / turns and not one to be concerned about - the fact is that one doesn't usually engage H4 / L4 unless you are on a loose surface and that allows for easier slippage without over straining the diffs.

Hope that helps. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”