Buying a high mileage Hilux D4D

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Buying a high mileage Hilux D4D

Post by Dingo »

What is the Forumites opinion:

Would you buy a 3.0l D4D 4x4 with 258000kms on the clock? 2011 model, at average of approx. 45000kms per year.

The vehicle has full service history, upto 180000kms by franchise and there after via other workshops. One owner vehicle and he traded it in at Toyota for a new Hilux.

I want to use the vehicle as a daily runner and the odd camping / 4x4 trip.

what are / could be the pit falls?
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Re: Buying a high mileage Hilux D4D

Post by Rigger »

At that mileage the injectors have most propably been replaced, might want to find out. Secondly the gearbox if manual should be listened to well especially 5th if it was towed with. I wouldn't worry too much of the engine if it was serviced regularly. Pull it on a lift and check all suspension components.

And then lastly might be a bit pedantic of me but make sure the vehicle wasn't in an accident. Check for all the correct chrome decals on the body panels and that everything lines up correctly but if it was a one owner car you might be safe on this one
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Post by JohanW »

Find a friend with a techstream dongle and find out if they are still good. Alternatively book a test drive, drive vehicle to toyota dealership and have it scanned. All of the info you need is on the ECU. You just need to read it.
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

My D4d had 400 000km's on the clock with the same Injectors,turbo, water pump, gearbox, etc..

I towed a trailer about 50% of the times, no problems at all...
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Post by Dingo »

some good advice - thanx

I will ask them to check the injectors and give feedback. They seem to be a weak point on those engines.

The vehicle has auto transmission. There is a slight bump/clunk when accelerating and stopping, suspect the universals on the propshaft, Toyota will check that.

The vehicle is being sold via Toyota, Barloworld, so there is a little piece of mind there.

Did test drive and all seems pretty solid, suspension felt good aswell - got Ironman in.
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Post by JohanW »

Dingo wrote:some good advice - thanx

I will ask them to check the injectors and give feedback. They seem to be a weak point on those engines.

The vehicle has auto transmission. There is a slight bump/clunk when accelerating and stopping, suspect the universals on the propshaft, Toyota will check that.

The vehicle is being sold via Toyota, Barloworld, so there is a little piece of mind there.

Did test drive and all seems pretty solid, suspension felt good aswell - got Ironman in.
Get them to give you the injector feedback values(-3:3) for all 4 injectors and the injection feedback volume value at Idle (<9). These values settle at operating Temp. Post them here if possible.

Tested a friends '11 tuna the other day. One injector was at - 4.0 when we started the vehicle cold. Once warmed up and driven it settled down to - 1.7.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

The other issue to check is the clutch. they have been know to give issues, If the clutch is hard to depress then you have an indication that it may be on its way out. Some have had water pump leaks. Look for a thin pink streak of coolant on the pulleys. I replaced mine's injectors on about 280 000 kilometers simply because one was going out of spec and was gradually getting worse and I did not want to sit with issues later on. I replaced the clutch and the water pump. These are the only things that went wrong over 285 000 kilometers. It is still driving like a new bakkie.
BadboyGP
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: Hilux D4D3.0 Raider DC 4x2

Post by BadboyGP »

My 2008 is on 230,000. Injectors and pump replaced at 175,000 & Clutch replaced at 225,000.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Contact the original owner, he should tell you if there were any problems.
I would have thought that it is now only nicely run in...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dingo »

Thanx for all the valuable advice, the Dealer sold the vehicle I was looking at from under my feet. Provisionally told them that I'd take the vehicle as long as they put in writing all the repairs they said they'll do - - - next thing I know the vehicle is sold, obviously to someone who wasn't as demanding as I am.

I will continue my search and keep all the info in mind.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”