3.0 D4D manual or automatic advice needed ?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Walvis Bay
Vehicle: HILUX LEGEND 45 V6 4.0 4X4

3.0 D4D manual or automatic advice needed ?

Post by Alex2539 »

Hi there

We are looking for a replacement for the fortuner(3.0 D4D 4x4 MT) due to high mileage. So we are looking for another 3.0 D4D 4x4 fortuner/hilux. I am not sure whether to go for automatic or manual transmission, from experience i find the automatic transmission to be a bit slow when overtaking . Which one do you recommend?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Last edited by Alex2539 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonded to Yotas :cooldude:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: 3.0 D4D manual or automatic advice needed ?

Post by Haboob »

How many killo's is too high for the Fortuner being traded in?
Have read that the automatic always seem to be hunting for gears,
So prefer a manual myself.
Also normally a bit better in the fuel department.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Alex2539 »

Haboob wrote:How many killo's is too high for the Fortuner being traded in?
Have read that the automatic always seem to be hunting for gears,
So prefer a manual myself.
Also normally a bit better in the fuel department.
231000Km. Thanks for the advice
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Haboob wrote:Have read that the automatic always seem to be hunting for gears
I've got a 4x4 Auto D4D and the gearbox ratios are well sorted. I've never experienced hunting, off-road or on tar.

The reason I opted for auto is that diesel motors are sensitive to over-revving(rev limit at 4500rpm). Many first time turbo diesel owners tend to drive them like petrols, which imho will effect the longevity of the motor adversely. With an auto it's a lot less likely to have been over-revved.

Then, for the performance minded bunch, a Uni-chip can be tuned to much higher torque with an auto. This is because a manual clutch can only handle so much power/torque before it starts slipping.

Only down side is with town driving the auto is about 1km/l heavier.
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Re: RE: Re: 3.0 D4D manual or automatic advice needed ?

Post by Alex2539 »

Mr_B wrote:
Haboob wrote:Have read that the automatic always seem to be hunting for gears
I've got a 4x4 Auto D4D and the gearbox ratios are well sorted. I've never experienced hunting, off-road or on tar.

The reason I opted for auto is that diesel motors are sensitive to over-revving(rev limit at 4500rpm). Many first time turbo diesel owners tend to drive them like petrols, which imho will effect the longevity of the motor adversely. With an auto it's a lot less likely to have been over-revved.

Then, for the performance minded bunch, a Uni-chip can be tuned to much higher torque with an auto. This is because a manual clutch can only handle so much power/torque before it starts slipping.

Only down side is with town driving the auto is about 1km/l heavier.
Thank you for the advice, leaning towards the Auto now
Johnnyboxer
Town: Yorkshire
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Johnnyboxer »

Later Autoboxes are 5 speed and the new 2016 Hilux is 6 speed, isn't it?
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Alex2539 »

Johnnyboxer wrote:Later Autoboxes are 5 speed and the new 2016 Hilux is 6 speed, isn't it?

Thats correct
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Johnnyboxer wrote:Later Autoboxes are 5 speed and the new 2016 Hilux is 6 speed, isn't it?
I'm not sure about the 2016 Revo, but with the Vigo's(previous gen), the V6 auto petrol's are 5 speed and the D4D diesel's are 4 speed. I've had both and the gearing is well tuned on both!

B
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Alex2539 »

Mr_B wrote:
I'm not sure about the 2016 Revo, but with the Vigo's(previous gen), the V6 auto petrol's are 5 speed and the D4D diesel's are 4 speed. I've had both and the gearing is well tuned on both!

B
Thanks for the correction. i am curious to ask, sorry this is not so related to the topic. Seeing that you own the two , what would you say are the pros and cons for the D4D and the V6? I personally find the V6 to loose traction to quick
Nick S
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bedfordview
Vehicle: 3L Legend 45 D4D 4x4 DC/AT. RSI Canopy, Snorkel and Radio
Club VHF Licence: HC219

Post by Nick S »

I have the Auto Hilux in 4 Speed.
Now admittedly I don't Drive on Zwartkops or Kyalami. But for normal road use I have no issues overtaking.
To build bridges, you need to go to where the rivers are.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Alex2539 wrote:
Mr_B wrote:

B
Thanks for the correction. i am curious to ask, sorry this is not so related to the topic. Seeing that you own the two , what would you say are the pros and cons for the D4D and the V6? I personally find the V6 to loose traction to quick
Pro's and cons...

The V6... powerful engine. De-catted with a decent exhaust you looking at somewhere around 200kw... but of course with the awesome power comes awesome thirst. Yes, overtaking and towing are simply easier. In congested city driving the V6 went as low as 4.5km/l on a tank of fuel(140L dual tanks), with a best of 7.3km/l on the open road at 120km/h. These are honest calculated figures, not thumb sucks. I did find the brakes too weak for the engine power on the 2007 I had. Later models had upgraded brakes. I found the hydraulic lifters became pretty noisy after 200,000km. Oh, every year or so it would eat the center bearing! Was fun in the dunes!

The D4D. Currently it's pretty much so OEM standard. No, it's not a V6, the difference in power(kw) and rev range takes some getting used to. Standard it has the same torque figures as the V6, but I think it reaches max torque much earlier in the rev range, which is a bonus offroad(especially on rocky terrain). In terms of dune driving abilities I was pleasantly surprised at how capable it is, although you do need to choose the right gearing... L3 is great! Fuel consumption... the D4D wins here easily. The worst town driving consumption I've got is 7.4km/l on 70 litres. Town driving average is around 8km/l. Open road it improves to around 9-9.5km/l, speed and right foot aggression dependent.

We do a lot more camping trips than serious off road excursions these days, so I'm biased towards the D4D, no you're not going to tear past the traffic ahead and gone are the days of dicing GTi's... but I get to my destination chilled knowing that I don't have to think about where the closest petrol station is! :angel:

Then again... the exhaust tone of the V6 at full throttle is just so intoxicating! :twisted:
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Alex2539 »

Awesome review. The V6 is indeed very fun to drive ....thanks. D4D : economical

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”