How do I minimise turbo lag on D4D Automatic.

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

How do I minimise turbo lag on D4D Automatic.

Post by Dingo »

What is the general consensus with regards to chipping your Hilux.

I find the D4D Auto is very flat on pull off until the turbo winds in, what is the best way to eliminate this lag - Race chip / pedalbox, etc etc.
Lomies
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2013 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC273

Re: How do I minamise turbo lag on D4D Automatic.

Post by Lomies »

Dingo wrote:What is the general consensus with regards to chipping your Hilux.

I find the D4D Auto is very flat on pull off until the turbo winds in, what is the best way to eliminate this lag - Race chip / pedalbox, etc etc.

I have the Race chip 2 fitted but the turbo lag is still there. On my previous bakkie I had the Unichip which seemed a little bit better.
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Re: How do I minimise turbo lag on D4D Automatic.

Post by JohanW »

Remember its not just turbo lag, its torque converter slip too. I have a very free flowing exhaust on my AT. It exits in front of the rear wheel with a single 76mm powerflow box. It minimises turbo lag and other than a straight pipe I doubt you will get any more flowing. Also note that the d4d variable geometry turbo creates max boost from as low as 1200-1500rpm.

Unfortunately for me with a racechip and freeflow exhaust which doesn't alter the max boost level like the unichips do I get a p1251 error every now and then when its between 14-16deg C outside. It basically means that the stepper motor can't change the vanes fast enough to prevent a boost spike. This throws a MIL light and a limp mode. This scenario only happens at low speed at some wierd times when already moving and flooring it. A stop, turn off, wait 30sec and restart clears the DTC.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: How do I minimise turbo lag on D4D Automatic.

Post by Thabogrobler »

Unichip.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”