Suspension modification - Knysna/George

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
smalles
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kerikeri New Zealand
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5D + Izuzu Bighorn

Suspension modification - Knysna/George

Post by smalles »

Hi All

We live in New Zealand and love Africa. We have a Hilux 2.5 TD DC stored in Sedgefield/Knysna at the moment. The vehicle has an Alucab canopy and Generation3 popup fitted which puts a lot of weight on the rear. The back springs are just about horizontal but have survived a 4-month, bush-bashing trip in 2016 through SA, Botswana, Namibia, Zambia, Tanzania and Malawi without giving up the ghost on us. We are planning the next trip starting in May and feel that the rear springs need to be beefed up. Can anyone recommend a suspension guy in the Knysna/George area. Thanks in advance.
My direct eMail is lsmall@gmx.net

Kind regards

Les Small
hilux.jpg
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: Suspension modification - Knysna/George

Post by Haboob »

You can have a load hog or extra main leaf fitted by just about any place that does suspensions.
The load hog holds the back side up.
There are other helper springs which support both sides, but it is the back side that needs most of the support.
You also get air helper springs which are rubber pockets/bags which get pumped up with air and which can be adjusted for your different load conditions.
Probably the best would be a full after market heavy duty suspension which will cost in ths region of R20 000.00 or about $1800.00
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
smalles
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kerikeri New Zealand
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5D + Izuzu Bighorn

Re: Suspension modification - Knysna/George

Post by smalles »

Hi Edge
Thank you for the info. I sort of understand a bit more now and can now "Speek ds Speek" and use words like "Load Hog" with the suspension guys. I feel that the simple solution of beefing up the existing springs would be OK. The vehicle survived super potholed Chinese deviations in Tanzania and some some pretty big bangs into potholes in Zambia without breaking a spring. The problem I feel, is not usually in the bush where one slows down when the going gets rough but when one hits a big hole at 60-70kmh.

Kind regards

Les Small

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”