Help with which model to get.

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Remus
Town: Groblersdal
Vehicle: Lumina

Help with which model to get.

Post by Remus »

Good day gents. Quick question, I'm in the market for a 4x4 but not exactly sure which model to go for. I really like the look of the SFA so I was kind of set on 1, but after some thought I realised it might not be the best option. Just to give you an idea of what my original plan was.
4x4 SFA, fit a LS 1 chev motor with the 6 speed manual box and a moerse set of tires. I don't want something that is soft, I don't want something too finicky.

Now what I'm thinking is since the SFA models are getting older, parts will become harder to get and then there is still the theft issue, why not go for a 2.5 srx and do a heart transplant on it, or go for the 4l v6. I'm coming from a lumina, actually a few of them so I'm used to 8km/l, just got tired of potholes and always sitting at a lower position than most other cars on the road. Road users in this country is getting worse and I think a lifted 4x4 will be the better option.

So as you guys can see I don't really have a specific plan nor am I unusually biased towards any of the models. But please fell free to chime in.

PS: Engines I was considering (2jz gte, 7m gte, LS 1 V8, 4l V6). I would like to try and run it through a 6 speed box to get my revs lower for consumption on the open road. Looking for about 120-140 cruising speed and clock out at about 180. I know I cant have the best of both worlds but I sure wouldn't mind getting as close as possible to it.

PSS: If there are any other makes you would rather suggest please do, was also looking at a rubicon but I would prefer a bakkie setup and not a suv type.

Thanks.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Re: Help with which model to get.

Post by JohanM »

Jan-Hendrik,

From what you have said here, yes it is unfortunate to say that the general road user attitude and driving skill will not become much better if at all, and also the general condition of the roads will also not be much improved over a period of time, thus the reasoning to go for something higher and riding on bigger rubber is an expected one.

Few points that I would like to mention for you.

1. Any Toyota is hot property in a way and some models are just more easy to steal and some are just much more wanted thus higher numbers of certain models stolen/hijacked.

2. 8km/l is diesel country on a 4x4 that is expected to do 120 - 140 km//h cruising. V6 will average closer to 7.0/7.2 open road and 6 and below in city driving depending on the right foot and conditions.

3. Ride comfort i would suggest the Hilux Vigo & the new Revo Model. Cabins are very comfy and the double cab is reasonable spacious in the back.

4. Any lifted/modified 4x4 will ride and handle different than standard. Consider your needs carefully and separate them from the wants here. This can be a costly mistake to make if you get it wrong. Same applies for accesories.

5. Any 4x4 is going to feel way more sluggish/under powered in driving/overtaking and acceleration when compared to the Lumina. So bear in mind when test driving the vehicle that they are completely different and a lifted 4x4 with oversized Mud terrain tyres might look the part, but they are inherently unstable to a point and will require a complete new approach to driving.

6. A 4x4 is a tool to some that use them daily in difficult conditions/terrain. Some other people buy it as a lifestyle vehicle, but they actually use it as a bragging/status tool as it is seldom seen doing what it was bought for. To other it is a sense of security by driving bigger, but this is a very easily confused mistake. Then there are the minority that will actually use the vehicle what is was designed for and equipped for by the owner. You will spot these vehicles mostly on holidays and some weekends away as they do not form part of the daily runner group of vehicles.

So have fun in deciding what you want and what you need.
Johan Marais
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: Help with which model to get.

Post by Haboob »

Excellent advice given, which cuts to the bone...
Well done.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”