Buggers Stole My Bakkie

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Big Foot
Town: Bapsfontein
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0

Buggers Stole My Bakkie

Post by Big Foot »

Hello everybody. Although this is my first post, I often read the forum as we all share a love or passion for the mighty Hilux.

I've had my 2006 V6 4.0 for three years and use it as a getaway vehicle, i.e. Camping, caravanning, hunting and launching the boat. Because it's not my primary vehicle I could not justify insuring Big Foot or even installing a tracking device.

Sadly he was stolen a few nights ago. The buggers broke into our house while we were sleeping, took the keys and the remote and simply drove off.

By the grace of God, the SAPS recovered Big Foot in Mamelodi. I'm very lucky indeed. And so brings my questions:

I will need to replace the keys. I'm afraid they will return or follow us somewhere and while in the shop, start and drive away. Any suggestions? Or advise on how to go about this?

Can someone recommend a good tracker to be installed? I'm thinking this will suffice or shall I go for theft insurance, in which case, they will want a tracker installed anyway.

They also took my number plates, disc, FSH booklet and manual. I understand that I need to go to the licensing department for new papers. And that I have to data dot the vehicle. Anyone know where I can do all of this in Pretoria or Bredal, Boksburg, Benoni area?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but in the unlikely event that I have to sell him, what is a fair price? 2006 V6 4.0 Auto. AndyCab canopy. Specialized bull bar. 130,000km. Metallic Silver Double Cab. Dual battery system. Long range fuel tank. Leather seats.

Thanks Guys.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Buggers Stole My Bakkie

Post by ChrisF »

Steve welcome to the forum.

GLAD you got your wheels back !!

Check with your insurance - they normally do have a provision in your plan to replace the locks and keys.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Steve. Wow! How lucky you were to get it back! :thumbup:

Re- coded keys can be an expensive exercise, especially if done through the agents. I know that there are locksmiths that do it, but you would have to check around your area.

Have the micro-dot done in any event, but tracker units are not that effective any more - they find them pretty quickly and disable or remove them, but it still helps if the response is quick.

Don't forget to have the gate remote coding changed as well - if it's the blue Centurion remote it's easy .... just clear all the installed codes and re-install the ones you still have.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Yes, equally easy to reset the ET and DigiDoor remotes.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

I would just have new keys made for the existing locks, if they want it they will take it, keys or no keys.

There is however another trick you need to do, you must install an immobiliser of your own design. Dont ask here and dont post it here. go figure it out!

You wont start my hilux even if you had the keys ;-)
Image Link Broken

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”