2003 Colombian Hilux Magnuson supercharger install

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

2003 Colombian Hilux Magnuson supercharger install

Post by JAMES399 »

I just obtained a new in the crate 3RZ-FE 2.7L Toyota factory longblock. My 2003 Hilux 4x4 was manufactured in Argentina for sale in Colombia and came stock with a 2.4L 2RZ-FE motor. The stock motor has no emissions equipment other than a PCV valve and catalytic converter. No EGR or anything else. The ECU only controls the electronic fuel injection. My truck also has a dual-fuel conversion and runs either on gasoline or compressed natural gas.

My son has a complete Magnuson supercharger kit that he bought for his 4 cyl Tacoma. He sold the truck and never installed the kit. He said I can have it for my Hilux. I would like to install this on the new 2.7L. I talked to Magnuson's tech rep about putting it on a non-emissions Hilux and his reply was like, " Uhh .. well ... yeah, it SHOULD work."

Since the Magnuson kit was designed to work with the American Tacoma emissions package, I wonder if there will be a problem adapting it to my Colombian non-emissions truck. My gut feeling is that it will work ok, but I was hoping you guys could give me some feedback ... reassuring or not.

My plan for the new motor is to install a set of headers, match the intake ports, match-flow the fuel injectors, and possibly install new camshafts to compliment the blower (if it will work).

What do you guys think ???

- JAMES
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: 2003 Colombian Hilux Magnuson supercharger install

Post by JAMES399 »

Just wanted to post what happened to my idea of installing a supercharger on my Hilux. A friend on another forum directed my to a shop in Socal that specializes in supercharger installs. They assured me that it would work, BUT ... not with the CNG conversion I have in my truck. This is because of the placement of the CNG injectors on the intake manifold. With the replacement manifold used with the blower, there is no room for the CNG injectors. The CNG is very important to me, due to the high price of gasoline in Colombia. Gasoline here is 8250 Colombian pesos per gallon. An equivalent amount of CNG is 1370 COP per gallon.
So I will just stick with the basic blueprinting and a new set of camshafts for the 2.7L.

I was really looking forward to hearing that supercharger whine though.

- JAMES
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Thank you James.
That is interresting. In our country almost nobody uses CNG conversions.
It is a very big difference in the price of fuel.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Hi James.
Thank you for the feedback. Interesting to learn as none of us has any experience with CNG. Just to make you feel a little better. Converted to our currency at the current exchange rate you are paying R10.04 per litre for petrol and R6.17 per litre for CNG.

We do not have the option of CNG and pay R15.79 per litre for petrol. That is 12973.41 pesos per gallon (3.7 litres)!!!

So if I paid only R10 to the litre I would definitely have done it. I cannot remember when last we paid R6 to the litre for petrol but that was probably 2005/6
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by JAMES399 »

CNG is very popular in Colombia. Especially with taxi drivers and commercial delivery trucks. CNG has been sold here since 2014, and is gaining in popularity due to the price difference between it and gasoline. Gasoline costs over 6 times as much per gallon compared to an equivalent amount of CNG. It costs me 213000 Colombian pesos to fill my gasoline tank, and 35000 COP for a tank of CNG. Mileage is nearly the same. Gasoline get maybe 1.5 miles per gallon more than CNG, and CNG doesn't pull as well up a steep grade, but it's a small price to pay for the $$$ savings. To reduce pollution in the cities here, driving is restricted during peak rush hours. Depending on the last number on your license plate you cannot drive between 6 and 10 AM and 4 to 7 PM on certain days. Since vehicles with CNG are non-polluting, our drive times are unrestricted. Probably the biggest headache with CNG is the loss of bed space taken by the CNG tank. Again, a small price to pay. I'm surprised that CNG isn't popular in other countries.

- JAMES

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”