PERFORMANCE BRAKING SYSTEM FOR 2.8GD6 4x4 DOUBLE CAB

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
6x4 Driver
Town: Ballito
Vehicle: Hilux D4D 4x4 DC AT

PERFORMANCE BRAKING SYSTEM FOR 2.8GD6 4x4 DOUBLE CAB

Post by 6x4 Driver »

So I have always been having issues with noisy brakes. Squeaks in particular. I have the vehicle 2 years and it's been to Toyota a few times and they adjusted brakes. 1-2 days later it's the same again.

I compete in dirt drag racing also and found myself unable to stop after passing through the finish.

I am looking at fitting performance racing brakes. Any suggestions as to what is out there on the market would be appreciated.
6x4 Driver
Town: Ballito
Vehicle: Hilux D4D 4x4 DC AT

Re: PERFORMANCE BRAKING SYSTEM FOR 2.8GD6 4x4 DOUBLE CAB

Post by 6x4 Driver »

Before anyone claims vehicle abuse please note that the bakkie is a daily work vehicle. I raced it for the first time in 2 years this week. But I have been squeaking from place to place for 2 years now. That squeak has become part of me.
pieta.swanepoel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SR 4x4 SC

Post by pieta.swanepoel »

Powerbrakes
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux - Lexus V8

Post by GRWLR ZN »

Good morning Adheel,

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
Squeaky brakes could be one or a combination of things. Dusty roads, poor quality brake pads/-shoes, worn/warped discs and drums etc.

It is a very good idea to upgrade the brakes to be race ready. Standard brakes will overheat under racing conditions, over heated brakes do not work.
Bigger front discs,upgraded calipers and performance brake pads and a rear drum upgrade is a must. I'm sure a brake booster and -master cylinder upgrade will also be a good idea.

Try PowerBrake, you might get something there.

All the best with the racing. :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

You can also try using Brembo pads and shoes .... stand up pretty well to race conditions. Much cheaper than Powerbrake.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”