Engine mounts

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
antz
Town: Geelong-Australia
Vehicle: hilux

Engine mounts

Post by antz »

hi guys new 2 this forum so quick hello every1..
So i now own a 2011 hilux with all the goods on it..had it a month..anyway the last week ive noticed the gear sticks move heaps under load.an with bonnet up motor moves heaps as well..ive checked engine mounts but them seem fine..could they be stuffed an i just cant tell without taking them out??thanks in advance..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Engine mounts

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Anthony! :thumbup:

It very much sounds like the mounts have a problem and it's not always easy to see it just by looking at them. Get in under there with a tommy bar and try lift each side ... check the gearbox mount as well. You will soon see if the rubber in the mounts has de-vulcanised or split ... the mount will separate.

Good luck. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
antz

Post by antz »

Mud Dog wrote:Welcome Anthony! Image

It very much sounds like the mounts have a problem and it's not always easy to see it just by looking at them. Get in under there with a tommy bar and try lift each side ... check the gearbox mount as well. You will soon see if the rubber in the mounts has de-vulcanised or split ... the mount will separate.

Good luck. :winkx:
yer i try'd lifting them up but didnt move..i jacket up the engine to see if the separated but they didnt so not sure whats nextImage

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

What motor do you have in there? Not familiar with your model (I'm an SFA guy) ... but do your mounts have a shroud over them? You really cannot see in there nicely if they have.

The thing is that if the motor rocks excessively on it's mountings, then something ain't right and they probably need to be changed anyway. Not too pricey if you use a good quality pirate part and also not too difficult to DIY - just slack off the mounts and replace one side at a time using a jack..

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
antz

Post by antz »

Yer they have a shroud mate.its 3l td..prob replace them 2day anyway an see if that fixs problem..

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I had a completely sheared mount and couldn't see it behind that shroud .... only when I decided to replace them anyway for peace of mind and took the old ones out did it become evident.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”