Aircon water and CPU

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
sasafaris
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: hilux 4x4 KZTE

Aircon water and CPU

Post by sasafaris »

Is it possible for condensated water from the aircon to leak into the CPU behind the dashboard in a KZTE?
I am told by the workshop that they believe the hassles I have been having from my vehicle, after testing everything else, appears to be that the CPU had water in it and there is evidence of corrosion.
I know I did have issues at one stage with the outlet pipe popping off and dripping into the passenger side, and I sure as heck have never done a river crossing which allowed any water into the cab. Anybody have a similar issue?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Aircon water and CPU

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi John, from what you say it sounds like it could be possible, especially since there are signs of water corrosion. Hopefully one of the KZTE guys can confirm if condensate can drip onto the ECU.

My immediate thoughts however are that Toyota would have been aware of that possible hazard and positioned the ECU out of harms way .... that of course might not have taken into consideration a pipe coming loose.

If you are forced to go the route of ECU replacement, I would get comparative pricing between the existing unit and a good after-market one like the Spitronics "Saturn" series. Also take into account the cost of wiring in a non-standard unit and setting it up on a dyno.

Best of good luck.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”