PLEASE Help: Cleanup - 96 Hilux 2,4 D SFA

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: bethlehem
Vehicle: 98 Nissan Patrol GRX, 1996 Hilux 2,4 D S/Cab SFA, 2007 Merc CL 500

PLEASE Help: Cleanup - 96 Hilux 2,4 D SFA

Post by petri oosthuizen »

Sorry for yet another Thread on this, but my memory isn't so lekker any more.

I have a 96 registered Hilux S/Cab, 2,4 Diesel 4x4 SFA that I'd like to (sort of) "originalise" as best as possible, and need specific info here PLEASE:

1) Did the 96 have the black or chrome grille?? I remember the very first SFA's, with the black grille, but those were the first ones with the 4Y and split rims - there were LOTS of them at the Katse construction site at the time.
Did the later ones (especially the 2,4 D;s) come out with the chrome grille??
2) You NEVER got the 2,4 in Raider spec, only the 2,8 D...…..am I right?? The Raiders also had the grey dash, electronic clock, carpet floor and (I think) only 2 bucket seats in the S/Cab...…?? Also those roll bars and steps and towbars etc etc etc, clot seats and door panels, and "Raider" decals...….??
3) The 2,4 D 4x4 came out with only a single blue/red stripe along the sides, with a little "zigzag" at the back?
4) Did the 2,4 4x4 come out with spilt rims?? I think the rims on it now (see pic) came with the Raider.....?? They sort of ring a bell to me though, I think they are indeed original spec rims?

Thanks a MILL here Guys!!!!
Last edited by petri oosthuizen on Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
" Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' Corner, and knowing Joe wants to go home early tonight"...….Max Baer
janerasmus
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Springs
Vehicle: '2013 2,5 D4D D/C 4X4 Hilux

Re: PLEASE Help - 96 Hilux 2,4 D SFA 4x4

Post by janerasmus »

Waar is die Prentjie?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

janerasmus wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:39 pm Waar is die Prentjie?
Kyk bietjie verder af in hierdie thread ..... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44393
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Skuus Guys ………..MAL Vrydag
Attachments
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG
" Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' Corner, and knowing Joe wants to go home early tonight"...….Max Baer
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Re: PLEASE Help: Cleanup - 96 Hilux 2,4 D SFA

K.....................

Wiring is sorted - after almost 2 weeks. My sparky did everything from afresh, like in everything.

Havent seen it yet though, it came back today, I was in Bloem.

Hope all is well.

I also sent for the brakes to be fixed, but they're still not right, they're very "deep" and "spongy"........taking it back tomorrow, they must also look for leaks etc etc in the brake system.

I want the mechanicals, suspension, brakes, electrics etc etc sorted 100% before I carry on with the cosmetics - it must be in 100% drivable condition.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

These old vans were never known for their good brakes .... marginally adequate but nothing fantastic. However, they should not be "deep and spongy" ... something ain't right. Also the hand brakes have a reputation of being almost non existent, but 99.9% of the time it's because they haven't been set up right. Never had a hand brake issue that wasn't sorted after the right set-up procedure.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

Generally "deep and spongy" may be air in the system. After refurbishment of brakes an immediate bleed may not necessarily remove all the air from the system. After some use another bleed may be necessary for the trapped air. There could be other reasons as well.

Regarding the hand brakes, many people complain of the hand brakes not working even after repair or adjustment and one may think that there is a factory fault due to the amount of complaints. Mine works wonderful. With the hand brake applied I cannot drive off even under hard acceleration. Well as Mud Dog stated “99.9% of the time it's because they haven't been set up right.”
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I think one of the mistakes made when setting up the hand brake is to not completely slack off the cable before adjusting. Slack it of underneath where the driver's seat is. With both rear wheels lifted set up the ratchet adjustment in the drum through the hole in the backing there is a tool for this but a flat screw driver with a decent edge can manage. The shoes must just be starting to grip the drum but no so much as to offer resistance when turning by hand. Then go back to the cable adjustment and take up the slack so that you have about 7 or 8 clicks of the brake lever before it comes up hard.

If it's not gripping after that then there's something wrong inside the drums.

petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

:taunt: :taunt: K.........Got her back from my sparky pal, he cleaned up ALL wires and bsaically replaced where necessary.

Wonderful job, minimal wiring visible in the engine bay, everything works 100%.

Free of Charge.......he knows this one is "my"bakkie, no charge - I support him for the past 21 years now.

Brakes still not good, but it's some pypie somewhere thats leaking, so will replace that early next week - great news, we know now what the hassle is.

That engine sounds WONDERFUL, definitely a remanufactured unit from Toyota as my Seller Pal told me, it even has the fresh plastic on the stickers on it.

Looks like a mini monster truck without that fugly towbar thing and mudflaps :lol: :lol:

But getting on nicely, I want the mechanics etc etc sorted 200%.

Also got a complete power steering setup from a pal, will send her in next week to my other tjommie Klannie to check that out, also check the props and "look for faults" underneath and repair/replace as necessary

Happy Days ............. Bargain of a Life Time, this one. Paid for it (far) less than a new canopy costs. :tease:
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Something is eating that battery.

BUT yes, also possible that someone left the key or the ignition on "ACC" over the weekend. Hope so.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

That can happen, especially with older vehicles where the lock barrel and / or key are worn .... the key is released in both the "Off" and "ACC" positions.

Could also be that there is an old tracking unit stuck away somewhere that the sparky didn't find. When fitted they take off the power from an un-switched source (always live) .... that could be at the ignition switch, at a fuse box or even spliced into a wire somewhere. Difficult to find (as it's meant to be), so sometimes it's a better option to just fit a battery isolator switch.

petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Battery sorted - key must have been in the "ACC" position, all is fine now.

Still busy with replacing all brake "pypies", some (most) are pinched close etc etc, so I decided to rather replace everythiing.

From there to the Propshaft place, check/balance/sort them, all couplings etc etc, and "look for faults".

Bakkie kos my tot dusver maar nog BAIE BAIE min............!!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”