Hilux Theft

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
windy67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pietermaritzburg
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux 2.7i 4X4 D/C

Hilux Theft

Post by windy67 »

I have been reading some of the posts about stealing of hilux's. The main targets used to be the older 2.2's and 2.4's for engine transplants. Has the emphasis changed now to the complete vehicle, so that the 2.7i's and KZTE's are also in demand?
ImageImageImage
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Re: Hilux Theft

Post by Niel »

Hi Windy67 welcome to the site, I will be very worried if that is the case. Criminals shift their focus very quickly pity it has to be Hilux. As FD said thieves might be Hilux fans as well. I will keep my KZ in the garage from now on. Thanks for the warning.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

The older SFA shared a common chassis & engine with the Hi-Ace taxis, so there was always a demand for them. All that had to be done was a body swap. But from the IFS models onwards, this similarity ended, so I guess the theft ratio fell somewhat.

I am glad they recovered mine before a body swap, although, a 4x4 Hi-Ace would also have been nice ... :P :mrgreen:

Isuzu bakkies were very popular amongst thieves for a while, but I believe the Colt is now very sought after, goodness only knows why. A LR is probably the best vehicle to own in terms of theft risk, no one seems to want it. Pity, it is a very capable vehicle indeed, and the new 2007 Defender looks very nice since the internal revamp.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

windy67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pietermaritzburg
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux 2.7i 4X4 D/C

Post by windy67 »

Hi Niel, Don't start stressing about your KZ yet. I cannot decide, from what I have read, whether it is still the older ones that are being targeted so I posed the question hoping to get feedback.

I recently sold my 1987 2.2 D/C 4X4 ( after 13 years ) and replaced it with a 2003 2.7i D/C 4X4.
ImageImageImage

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”