Stating the obvious

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Stating the obvious

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi guys,

Saw a doccy yesterday on Kyknet about the George 4x4 event. Saw a few modified Hiluxes competing with SWB Jeeps and Landies, also 2 wd buggies. But what's really amazing and awesome, is stock standard Hiluxes competing also, and competing well. Saw no other models unmodified "bakkies" competing. Then thought back to the few 4x4 events I attended, it seems that the only "standard" bakkies ever competing are the SFA Hiluxes. Is it just a confidence thing, or is SFA Hiluxes abilities that much better? Again, awesome and amazing!!!

Cheers,

Chris
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: Stating the obvious

Post by BenHur »

Preach on brother :!: :!: :wink:
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Post by Harold »

Thta'ts why I drive them and will not change to any other - ever!
The SFA Hilux is probably the most underated 4x4 there is, specially by competing brands and 'Toyota'.
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

I agree my van just keeps on amazing me :mrgreen:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Sometimes unquote these std Hilux bakkies with the solid front axle sometimes have AFROX lockers in the diff's, I still say that a std Hilux bakkie is not very good in a cross axle situation, when using it off road a person has to "gun" the engine to get some speed up to be able to get through an obsticle.

Most times when a person is using a Hilux of this model in the various 4x4 challenge events, they do not judge the terrain correctly or obsticle, they try a few times to get up or over an obsticle and even end up hurting their vehicle, dust and rocks go flying in all directions.

I have in the past stated that it is very difficuklt to compete with a Registered road licensed 4x4 Hilux in this model against a vehicle that is towed to the event on a trailer.

The people who drive their vehicle's to these challenge events have to drive them back home again.

But yes, I do agree with you, these guys in their 2wd buggies and vehicle's, do have fun and they do have to gun their vehicle's to get through them, but that is another class of vehicle.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Out of the box there are not many 4x4s that are as good as the SFA even when compared with the new 4x4`s DCs the diff lock they come out with as standard is a must have because with out them they would be stuck long before the SFA.
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

If I compare my unlocked Hilux with my Plasticjero with its rear diff lock I can conclude that the diff lock is a good way to hide the inadequacy of the independent all round suspension off-road and its lack of proper articulation. Hopefully I can get its suspension a bit better by lifting it by 50 mm but I doubt that the articulation would improve much

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”