'94 D/C Seats!

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

'94 D/C Seats!

Post by Scooter »

I know that this has been a discussed topic but I would like to ask again.
I am thinking about the drive I have every day to work and back and hard seat I sit on, a concrete block for better description. :lol:

I have been looking at changing the seats but I am in two minds as to wether I should replace them with others or just get them recovered with extra foam for comfort. The problems I see are, if replacing them, with say BMW seats, would the rear seat also fit? Of course to find these are a problem and they are generally more pricy.

Secondly, I would like to keep the vehicle interior standard as much as possible, but suppose i could keep the original seats for incase.............. nah, I would never sell. :mrgreen:

So that leaves the reconditioning of the exisitng ones. Quotes ranging from R1600 to R3200 for all three seats, in a cloth-vinyl covering as with the original.
Now if you add foam, it will make the seat higher, by how much is dependant on the thickness of foam used. This is a problem in the sense that you will now need to adjust the steering height and that could be uncomfortable.

It has been mentioned that a bit can be sliced off the bottom of the seat to allow foam to be attached to the top without extra height but this is not a perfect option either as it would leave a space between the backrest and the base apparently.

Has anyone ever tried to recondition their seats or add foam etc for more comfort? Any suggestions would be most welcome. :?
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: '94 D/C Seats!

Post by Family_Dog »

I was also thinking that this might be the way to go, as everything does fit. When I had the SWB front bench seat refurbished, I paid R750 at the time (20 months ago) and the Upholsterer did an excellent job. The old frame was broken, he repaired that as well and recovered it, but did not build it up because the foam, although firm, was still fine. The seat looks new again.

I must enquire what his current prices are, will post the prices here.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Scooter,

I have just spoken to Danie at De Bruyns Auto Trimmers (in Klerksdorp).

To build up two Hilux front bucket seats is in the region of R120, using the original upholstery material if it is in good nick. If he has to replace the material (I chose a combination of vinyl / material for the SWB bench seat, refer photos below), then the price is R650.00 for both seats, not per seat. When he did my upholstery, the work was completed in one day.

His telephone number is: Old voda 427 then 5930.

I priced a canvas canopy as well: Completely fitted including frame & canvas - R2500.00.

Image Image

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Thanks F_D

I will give him a call and get his views on adding foam. Maybe he has another option to making them more comfy.
I was wondering if maybe the springs in the base could be refurbished, I have never had a look at these front seats so im not sure what system they have.
The reason I say this is that the rear seat is soft and springy, I feel like I should rip the front out and drive from the back (Hightower style, Police Academy)

I think I will have to remove one of the front seats and have a look and then decide on what to do. Of course I might not save much by driving to Klerksdorp to get it done :lol:

Decisions decisions.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

I think I will have to remove one of the front seats and have a look and then decide on what to do. Of course I might not save much by driving to Klerksdorp to get it done :lol:

It would certainly suit me! I have to collect a "hi-Fi" stand from Randburg, would save me a trip :mrgreen:

-F_D

Jaco
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Somerset-West
Vehicle: 2.2P Hilux DC 4x4

Post by Jaco »

Same problem with the same seats (and vehicle it seems)!

It feels as if the driver is always "slipping" forward and down on my '94 D/C seat(standard "bucket-type" seats in front). I have lifted the seat by putting in spacers underneath the seat as I felt the seats were too low - no real improvement.
Where in C/T, Stellenbosch or Somerset-West area can I take the seats for a proper make-over
regards

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”