Sealing Diff's for water driving.

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
HiluxJunkie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Middelburg MP
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux DC 4x4 2.7i Raider
Club VHF Licence: N15

Sealing Diff's for water driving.

Post by HiluxJunkie »

Hi Guys;

When I need to travel through water and diff's will submerge how do I seal them before hand? I will raise the breathers on both with pipes into engine compartment anything else to do? Afterwards what needs to be done on hubs, wheel bearings , diff's etc to get rid of after effects from water driving... I know I am not supposed to use my LUX as a boat but sometimes it will be neccesary to drive through water.

Cheers

PS. The weekend I took the LUX for some serious bashing after props and diff service.....man I love this Bakkie. It just keeps on going. Let my wife drive as well.......now we fight who is driving off road......
2001 2.7i DC 4x4 Raider. REAL MEN FOLLOW JESUS AND STILL HAVE FUN!
ImageImageImageImageImage
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: Sealing Diff's for water driving.

Post by BenHur »

With proper extended breathers your diffs should be OK after crossing water but is is advisable to check the oil for contamination from time to time. But one thing that you need to look at is the rear drums as they do collect mud etc stuffing up the rear brakes.

Marius_Safari

Post us that picture of your rear drum full of mud when you serviced E-Rex-i a while back
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

What I do is, when I have been driving through a lot of water and mud, when I get home,(NB! after the brakes have cooled down) I use the high pressure cleaner, remove the little rubber gromet (most bakkies do not have them anymore, some mechanic most probely removed them and did not put them back, spray water into the drum through this small hole and then if there is any mud or brake dust collected inside the drum it will just flow out between the drum and the backing plate.

However you must also remember that this is just the quick way, sometime you will have to actually remove the brake drum and clean things out propely, the threads on the brake adjuster you can remove this device, unscrew it and clean the threads on a bench grinder that has the metal brush fitted, once the threads are clean you can then either spray or smear some Copper slip onto the threads, this stuff will prevent corrosion and the device to seize up after mud and water has been in the drum.

But you must also remember to also wash the front brake pads, if you do not wash the mud off the calipers, you will have grinding paste and the pads will not last, they will wear out very quickly and you will be surprised when this happens.

Have a look at this photo and think to yourself how much mud and water must have surrounded the brakes of this vehicle, think of the distance that he had to drive back home afterwards, I think they were 60km from Queenstown.

Please guys we know it is a Landrover :twisted:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
HiluxJunkie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Middelburg MP
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux DC 4x4 2.7i Raider
Club VHF Licence: N15

Post by HiluxJunkie »

Thanks guys;

I will do as suggested. What about the hub locks on front wheels? Do I need to open them up as well to regrease or clean afterwards?
2001 2.7i DC 4x4 Raider. REAL MEN FOLLOW JESUS AND STILL HAVE FUN!
ImageImageImageImageImage
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Depending on how easy they are to turn, when you select Lock, will determine if you must strip them, but I would recommend that you strip them and fit a new special seal that you have to buy from The Toyota Agents, rather make sure that they do not leak, because to replace the locking hub will cost you R2 400. each which is a lot of money, (yes you can buy pirate parts as well, but not me).

When you pull these hubs off there is also a paper gasket that you must replace, you can also use a very little bit of selecone when you re-fit them on the gasket, some people do not like to use selicone, but I do. Also make sure that there is sufficient CV Joint grease in the manual locking hub, this is that grey looking grease.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Marius Murray
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Nissan Patrol

Post by Marius Murray »

BENHUR, hoe plaas ek n foto hier?
Marius Murray
SOLD PAMPOEN.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Marius,

Kyk hier:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=603

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Of jy kan net 'n link plaas na jou foto op die nissan site

bv Image

Maar net sonder die * en dan lyk dit so:

Weet jy hoe lank moes ek nou soek om hierrie foto te kry :shock:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”