Three grown ups in a hilux dc

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
teepee
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by teepee »

Hello all,

i've posted this question elsewhere on the internet, but now i seem to have found the best place to ask :lol:

we are three people planning a four-five month trip to southern africa.

my question is: is there room enough in a early 00's hilux dc for three grown ups?

for minor parts we may be four, but for the vast majority we are three, and this is what the vehicle is bought for.

thanks in advance for any help!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Three grown ups in a hilux dc

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Teepee,

Welcome to the Hilux forum!

Provided the grown ups rotate positions in the 1999 onwards (i.e. the IFS) Hiluxes, that should not be a problem. Much as I love the older SFA Hilux, it is extremely uncomfortable for passengers in the back seat, but the newer ones do not share this problem.

Having said that, I would not like to sit in the back of any DC for an extended period of time, so it is important to change places occasionally.

Please keep a record of your travelling and post your report here when you have completed the trip!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Welcome, you say that you are going to Southern Africa, from where will you be starting your trip, do you intend to keep on the tar roads or will you be taking off-road routes as well, depending on the size of you people, the person travelling in the back will find it very uncomfortable, if you are a person with long legs, well you will get sore legs and maybe cramps as well, but most double cabs do not have much leg room in the rear.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Hi Teepee and welcome

I am 6 foot tall and spent the better part of 18 hours on the back seat of an IFS while travelling back form Mozambique a few years ago. There was no option for us to rotate as the guys suggest and there was no room next to me to stretch out as i had a coolerbox next to me and I can say without a doubt I would not like to do it again. I managed with regular stops to stretch the legs but it was not a great journey for me.

It can be done but you should most definately switch every so often.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Jacques KZ
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: '12 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited

Post by Jacques KZ »

Hi Teepee,

Another idea to consider is to put a 50mm high density cushion/foam mattress on the rear bench. The bench is just a tad too low on the floor and that makes it a little uncomfortable. :P

Cheers,
Jacques
2012 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited (Rooies)
2011 Kia Sportage 2.0 (die platkar)
teepee
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by teepee »

Hello again - and thanks for the quick replys and welcomes,

we will probably be starting out and finishing in cape town. the route will go through (namibia), botswana, zambia, malawi, mozambique and rsa.

we are two guys of about 184 cm (about 6 ft i reckon), and then my girlfriend who is a good deal shorter. we wont be in a hurry, so we probably wont do any 18 hr stretches and will have the option of switching around quite often (or leave my girlfriend in the back for the entire period :P )

an additional question is regarding loading space. Given that we have a canopy and a roof rack, will we have enough packing space? we will want to have room for: fridge, water tank, jerry cans, tents, camping furniture and all our personal stuff as well.

our alternative to the hilux dc would probably be a defender (am i allowed to say that word in here :?: :lol: ). but given our lack of mechanical skills we'd much prefer a toyota!
Jacques KZ
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: '12 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited

Post by Jacques KZ »

teepee wrote: an additional question is regarding loading space. Given that we have a canopy and a roof rack, will we have enough packing space? we will want to have room for: fridge, water tank, jerry cans, tents, camping furniture and all our personal stuff as well.
Should be fine. Just pack it carefully. Try to put the light stuff on the roofrack, like the camping furniture (cause that is normally wasting a lot of space). :mrgreen:
teepee wrote: our alternative to the hilux dc would probably be a defender (am i allowed to say that word in here :?: :lol: ). but given our lack of mechanical skills we'd much prefer a toyota!
Don't go there - bad idea!!! :roll:

Cheers,
Jacques
2012 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited (Rooies)
2011 Kia Sportage 2.0 (die platkar)
teepee
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by teepee »

not a bad idea with the cushion - will keep that in mind if it causes a problem
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

For me a guy being 2m tall and over 130kgs that sounds like the title of some sort of low budget Horror Movie :shock: :shock: :wink:

I agree keep the girl in the back they are normally smaller and more flexible then us guys

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”