Bullbar / Airbags

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
windy67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pietermaritzburg
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux 2.7i 4X4 D/C

Bullbar / Airbags

Post by windy67 »

Hi Guys,

I have a Facelift 2003 D/C 4X4.

I have read or heard that I can't just change the bullbar on this bakkie because of the airbags. Is this true? Has there been some discussion about it on this forum before? If so please point me there.

I know that most modern vehicles come standard with airbags, but I am not sure that I like this airbag story anyway.

Windy67
ImageImageImage
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Bullbar / Airbags

Post by Family_Dog »

Trevor,

Don't know about the other makes, but ARB have a BB developed for the Hiluxes fitted with Airbags.

(At least, that's what the Dealer who fitted mine told me, my 2.7i also has Airbags).

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

The only two I could find was ARB and TJM from La Sport (see their add in the Novemer 07,SA 4x4 page 6 and 7).
Last edited by Niel on Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Windy67 when you fit a bull bar to a vehicle, there are always the pros and the cons, these air bags in some cases help protect the person when the vehicle is envolved in an accident, however I would prefer to have a correctly mounted front bull bar up front on my vehicle than an air bag that can also cause me problems, have you ever seen a person after they have used the air bag.......

Concerning the activation of the air bags in your vehicle with a front aftermarket mounted bull bar, I have no idea if they will work and have no entention of finding out. (accident)
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
windy67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by windy67 »

Hi Guys,

If I am hearing you correctly, there is an airbag/after market bullbar conflict that I need to be aware of.

Don't know about the other makes, but ARB have a BB developed for the Hiluxes fitted with Airbags.

(At least, that's what the Dealer who fitted mine told me, my 2.7i also has Airbags).
-F_D

May I ask what you paid for the bullbar through the agents?

Windy67 when you fit a bull bar to a vehicle, there are always the pros and the cons, these air bags in some cases help protect the person when the vehicle is envolved in an accident, however I would prefer to have a correctly mounted front bull bar up front on my vehicle than an air bag that can also cause me problems, have you ever seen a person after they have used the air bag.......

Syron,

No I haven't. Can you expand a bit for me. As I said I am not sure whether I like the airbag story.

I think the airbag sensor can be disabled. My thoughts are the same as yours. I would rather have a good bull bar than the airbag but I still need to do a bit more reading before I do anything rash.

Trevor
ImageImageImage
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

If I am hearing you correctly, there is an airbag/after market bullbar conflict that I need to be aware of.

-F_D

May I ask what you paid for the bullbar through the agents?
Trevor,

I paid about R7,000... but... that was in 1999! I believe you are looking at close to R10k nowadays.

With a bit of luck, 4x4 Mega World might have another 30% off sale again towards the end of the financial year, as they did last year. Hold out till then!

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Skydive
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Melville
Vehicle: 96 Hilux D/C Raider 4x4 2.7 3RZ Engine Detroit Front Locker Gearmax Rear Locker Front and Rear Integrated Bumpers Full OME 265 BFG Muds

Post by Skydive »

I had the same dilemma when I wanted to fit a bulbar to my 105 Cruiser. I did some reading on the trigger mechanisms of airbags and this was my (personal) conclusion. Newer airbag systems have 3 sensors. Mounted front left and front right and one in the middle. These devices measure DECELERATION RATE and not IMPACT FORCE. This means that if your vehicle comes to a sudden stop that is within the specification of the trigger mechanism, then it will trigger the airbags, there does not need to be any impact on the sensors.

This has saved me R4K on a bulbar.
1996 D/C Hilux Raider with 2.7i 3RZ Engine
2006 Land Cruiser 105 GX 4.2
170 Hornet Parachute 0-200 in 10 sec
windy67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by windy67 »

Skydive wrote:This has saved me R4K on a bulbar.
Hi Skydive,

I am not quite sure what you mean. Did you decide to forget about the bullbar and rely on the airbags?

Windy67
ImageImageImage
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

This is a statement made by TJM:

THE FACTS

TJM’s Research and Development team’ commitment to safety and servicing the needs of our customers is second to none. This commitment is supported by a large capital investment in extensive research, design and testing programs to ensure the TJM range of Vehicle Frontal Protection Systems (VFPS) - bull bars and grille guards - do not have detrimental effects on vehicle SRS Air Bag triggering systems.

TJM use the latest technology, including computer simulation and static and dynamic testing methods, to validate air bag compatibility. With 30 years of experience, TJM is recognised as a leading manufacturer of Air Bag Compatible VFPS within Australian and International markets. TJM is an integral member of the Australian Standards Working Committee who introduced the VFPS Standard AS. 4876.1-2002. TJM VFPS released after 1st January 2003, conform to the 2003 requirements of the Standard.

SAFETY FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

Recognising the need for public safety, TJM has played a central role in the development of the new Australian Standard which makes sure our industry considers the safety of pedestrians and other road users in the design of VFPS. The standard specifies that all VFPS should conform to and hug the general shape of the vehicle, complementing the considerable time and effort vehicle manufacturers spend in designing and developing vehicle aesthetics.

The implementation of this standard represents the culmination of the dedication and effort of a consultative committee comprised of responsible vehicle manufacturers, industry groups, and the Pedestrian Safety Council of Australia.

New South Wales has proposed legislation adopting the new standard as a requirement for vehicle registration. Under the NSW legislation, any VFPS released after 1 January 2004 that is not compliant may compromise vehicle road worthiness. With the other states also considering the same action, TJM sees this as a positive step towards greater road safety and will continue to lead the industry in standards-compliant VFPS.

The TJM range of products are designed and rigorously tested to outlast inferior quality products and supported by a generous 3 Year Warranty period on manufactured product. The quality of a TJM product will long outlast the price tag.

TECHNOLOGY

At our manufacturing facility we ensure every component and accessory is consistently manufactured to the highest standards. Use of Computer Numeric Control (CNC) equipment operated by a highly skilled workforce, guarantees exceptional accuracy and quality. The use of digitising equipment and 3D design techniques keeps TJM at the forefront of prototype development, from concept through to production.

TJM uses the latest in CAD software to produce and optimise product designs and to shorten development lead-times. With the aid of surface modeling and 3D capability we can
produce digital design concepts in a minimum of time. Finite element analysis is used to evaluate the strength and effectiveness of components before an exhaustive amount of
physical testing.

With new materials and ever improving design processes, every new vehicle is a technological advancement presenting many new challenges. Constant innovation is a demanding task, but we at TJM welcome these challenges.

HOW DO AIR BAGS WORK ?

Air Bags* are a common safety feature on many vehicles today. These inflatable devices are mounted around the vehicle cabin. Activated by sensors located at various points on the vehicle, the air bags are deisgned to trigger when the vehicle is involved in a major frontal or side impact collision†.

* Refer to vehicle specification manual for location of SRS Air Bags.
† Not all vehicles are equipped with Side Impact Air Bags.

CRASH TESTING

TJM has conducted extensive static and dynamic impact tests on air bag equipped vehicles. To validate the design and testing methods used, TJM has completed many vehicle crash tests with frontal protection systems installed. The on-car crash tests have confirmed TJM’s design and testing methods provide a safe and effective air bag compatible frontal protection system.

PRODUCT CERTIFICATION

Only after an intensive in-house testing and 3rd party certification programme is completed is a bar complianced for installation on an air bag equipped vehicle. TJM’s compliance system identifies the VFPS and details the vehicle’s) to which it can be properly installed. TJM recommends only frontal protection systems and side protection bars complianced as Air Bag Compatible for installation to Air Bag equipped vehicles.

CRUMPLE ZONES & CRUSH CANS

Crumple Zones and/or Crush Cans are used in modern vehicles to provide a ‘soft zone’ for improved occupant protection in frontal collisions. On certain 4WDs, crash cans are installed only on air bag equipped vehicles to provide this soft zone feature.

It is interesting to note that TJM frontal protection systems have effectively been providing an extended safety zone on 4WD vehicles long before the requirements of Australian Design Rules
(ADR69).

WINCH INSTALLATION & AIR BAG BARS

Recovery winches are a common addition to many 4WD vehicles, the most popular installation being with TJM’s T13 and T15 VFPS. The extra mass of the winch and its location in relation to the bull bar and the vehicle frame is of particular importance when considering possible effects on air bag triggering. Fitting of the winch must not restrict the bar’s mount systems from deforming under collision conditions as originally designed. TJM considers all these factors and completes extensive testing before certifying winch installation with TJM Air Bag compatible bars.

SIDE BARS & AIR BAG BARS

TJM Side Bars when attached to air bag compatible bull bars also receive careful design considerations. Only after testing is complete and the most stringent criteria met are the side bars certified for installation on air bag equipped vehicles.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

And I read in a magazine the other day that external airbags are now been fitted to some vehicle's to protect people walking in the road or path of oncoming vehicles to protect them as well. :wink: this is true.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

windy67 wrote:
Hi Skydive,

I am not quite sure what you mean. Did you decide to forget about the bullbar and rely on the airbags?

Windy67
Windy67, I think what Skydive is saying is that had he opted for a bullbar that incorporated sensors for the airbags it would have cost him R4k more than the normal bullbar without the sensors. And as he discovered the airbags were deployed by deceleration not impact, it was a wise choice to go for the normal bullbar and some good investigating on his part.

Watch out for the wool over the eyes! :mrgreen:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Skydive
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 96 Hilux D/C Raider 4x4 2.7 3RZ Engine Detroit Front Locker Gearmax Rear Locker Front and Rear Integrated Bumpers Full OME 265 BFG Muds

Post by Skydive »

Yip, thats what I did. Everyone said that I an only fit an ARB bar as it is the only compatible bar with the airbag system. I then opted to fit a bar from Onca which is R4K cheaper than the ARB bar.
Skydive
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Skydive »

Scooter wrote:
windy67 wrote:
Watch out for the wool over the eyes! :mrgreen:
:wink:
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Guess you won't know until you hit something.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
windy67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by windy67 »

Skydive wrote:Yip, thats what I did. Everyone said that I an only fit an ARB bar as it is the only compatible bar with the airbag system. I then opted to fit a bar from Onca which is R4K cheaper than the ARB bar.
Skydive,

Can you post a picture of the ARB bar for me.

Trevor
ImageImageImage
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Trevor,

You will find prices and pictures of the ONCA BB here:

http://www.onca4x4.co.za/products_1.html

Note there are two different types, one with driving lights, one with out.

-F_D

windy67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by windy67 »

Hi Guys,

I would rather find an airbag compatible bull bar that doesn't replace the existing front bumper. Is there one?

The picture above shows spots fitted inside the bullbar. Does this not affect the airflow to the radiator?

Why do some guys blank out the registration number when they post pics? Is it a security issue?

Trevor
ImageImageImage
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Trevor,

I have never experienced any form of over-heating with the spots being placed in front of the radiator. There is still plenty of air-flow for the fan to suck air around the spots. I have never heard of anyone who has proved the opposite either. I think Bennie had carried out some tests along this path before, which I'm sure he will be able to fill you in with.

Yes, blanking the plates out is a security issue. I often do it as well but on a nice forum like this one where we are all honest, I don't worry about it all the time :)

-F_D

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

I tested airflow with the bullbar and found that with or without the bullbar made no real difference to my engine temperature.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”