Hilux driver "friendliness"

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
cockroach9999
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: False Bay Cape Town
Vehicle: 91 Hilux 2.2 EFI D/C 4x4 - Rustbucket

Hilux driver "friendliness"

Post by cockroach9999 »

Howdy all.

Been driving the Hilux for a little over a week now, so can hardly claim to be too knowledgable hence the noob question here.

One thing that struck me over this week was the lack of "friendliness" or "acknowledgment" if either of these are the correct terms. Forumites excluded, I would imagine.

From driving 2 different "series" Land Rovers for a while, and more recently the SJ410, whenever going past another of these vehicles it was pretty common to wave at the other party and get a response in probably 90% of cases.

However, doing something similar with the Hilux, particularly with similar older era SFA's seems to elicit no response so far.

Any thoughts? Am I just weird for generally saying hi?

I shall keep on waving, so if y'all see this weirdo, wave back :thumbup: :thumbup:

Cheers

Jason
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hilux driver "friendliness"

Post by Mud Dog »

Keep waving, Buck ..... even if it's only to make yourself feel better. Nothing weird about it, some okes are just preoccupied, 'what the hell' or just plain snooty. Your efforts might help to change that. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Jason, that is something I also experienced in my days when I was also a Land Rover Sufferer... :shock: :shock: I am on my 4th Hilux now and I must say I still dont experience the same friendliness from fellow Hilux drivers. But then I decided "stuff this" and I am waving Hi to every single Hilux driver I pass on the road. In Brackenfell this keeps me pretty busy as every second vehicle is a Hilux, but hey, in for a penny in for a pound.. :wave: :wave: :wave:

Hopefully is we start this it will spread.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

The Land Rover "wave' was bourn out of amazement that there is another one still driving, there is so many Toyotas on the road that you wil never have both hands on the wheel.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Hoppy wrote:The Land Rover "wave' was bourn out of amazement that there is another one still driving, there is so many Toyotas on the road that you wil never have both hands on the wheel.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Clever, Allan! :D:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Most Land Rover based waves are actually distress calls... whether the wave-ee knows it or not... it's subconcious, like an inner cry for help! Like Thys said, in Brackenfell there are simply too many SFA's, I'd get pulled over by the cops for being a nuisance if i tried to wave to them all! And if you drive a Hilux theirs no need to flag down fellow Hilux drivers! I usually flash my lights at them... but of course the other chap thinks I'm giving him a trap warning... and doesn't respond cause he battles to keep the 2.2 4Y above 60km/h anyway, with a tail wind!

mr b :wink:
cockroach9999
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by cockroach9999 »

Hoppy wrote:The Land Rover "wave' was bourn out of amazement that there is another one still driving
Quite possibly!!
Hoppy wrote:... you wil never have both hands on the wheel.
In the landy, the bigger problem was always keeping it on the road when you took even one hand off the wheel to wave.
cockroach9999
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by cockroach9999 »

RustyRod wrote:... and doesn't respond cause he battles to keep the 2.2 4Y above 60km/h anyway, with a tail wind!

mr b :wink:
It's probably because of this that I find time to wave........similar issue with all my aforementioned vehicles, although the Hilux is definitely the quickest of them.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

The Landy drivers only wave at each other to "brag". It's too show that they haven't had to work on their Landy's for that day yet as their hands are clean :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Same up here in Gauteng, but the okes wave you down when they run out of 'DIESEL' ne, Solly..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
swifty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Sutherland
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 SC

Post by swifty »

You guys got it all wrong: the Land Rover okes don't wave :wave: to say hello, they wave :wave: to say tata. This waving only started since Tata bought Land Rover :lol:
tata_logo.jpg
tata_logo.jpg (31.06 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
2003 HILUX 2.7i SRX S/C; Solid front axle conversion with Cruiser coil springs, 4.88:1 diff ratios, Iron Man rear suspension with extended greasable shackles, Gearmax diff lock, 150 liter feul tank, NudgeM bumper with recovery shackles, BF Goodridge Baja 33x10.5x15 tyres
cockroach9999
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by cockroach9999 »

BTW, nice to see that such an arbitrary topic can generate such interest :clap: :clap: :wave:
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: '89 Hilux SFA - SOLD; '95 Hilux - STOLEN; '67 Series 2A Land Rover; 3.5 V6 Pajero; 120 Prado VX 4.0

Post by the BuTch3R »

cockroach9999 wrote:One thing that struck me over this week was the lack of "friendliness" or "acknowledgment"
:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

....just in case :D:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

cockroach9999 wrote:BTW, nice to see that such an arbitrary topic can generate such interest :clap: :clap: :wave:
Just goes to show, this lot can talk twak about anything.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

For all of us with young kids:

Just smile and wave boys... smile and wave...

:thumbup:
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Post by Harold »

Its a function of economies of scale, for every one landrover there must be hundreds of Hilux's.

If you were an endangered specie would you not wave madly at your kin-folk?
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Kaspaas wrote:
cockroach9999 wrote:BTW, nice to see that such an arbitrary topic can generate such interest :clap: :clap: :wave:
Just goes to show, this lot can talk twak about anything.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
This is true Thys, and heaven fobid we all get together somewhere, which gives cause to re-consider attending the National GTG .... Colesburg beter have upgraded ablution facilities. :D:

There is of course another dynamic at work here and that is that the guys are not really experiencing hassles with their Hilux vehicles and looking for advice / frequenting service stations / spares outlets or even busy repairing something .... there's altogether too much time on their hands. So they sit and pour over the forum topics, most of which are exhausted .... and THEN .... someone posts a new topic about waving and there's a flurry of activity! :D: :D: :wink:

Danman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6 aka "BosBuffel"

Post by Danman »

Hi Guys,
I'm confused :eh:
So are we saying that we don't wave at fellow hiluxees because:
1. we are too occupied :shifty:
2. we are too sn :shock: ty
3. there are too many hiluxes on the road and because of that don't bother :o:

I hope not :thumbdown:

LR drivers also don't wave at all LR drivers, predominantly Defenders and Series Drivers.
I have been waving at all SFA drivers and have realised that these are some drivers that does wave back(although they are far and few :( )

So if you see hopallong driving past with five fingers moving from side to side that will be Danman waving :wave:
Optimus Prime
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Krp
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 v6

Post by Optimus Prime »

Ek weet nie ,met my het dit weer anders gewerk ,die Hiluxe het net begin wave as hulle verky kom ,in die begin het ek gewonder ,wies dit ,was hy ook die naweek daar ,of iets ,nou waai ek net terug en smile en wonder nie meer nie. :wave:

"As long as power flows through any of my circuits ill 4x4."
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I have seen in two cases where you guys mentioned waving to fellow SFA owners, does that mean I do not have to wave at you?

Let's just start a new trend. Go out and wave to any Hilux you see (SFA or IFS). Soon others will follow.

I always wave to every Hilux I see. Sometimes people look at you in amazement but most of the time they wave back.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Maybe we should patent a springloaded hand for the taigate with "Hilux 4x4.co.za" on, much like the dogs on the parcel shelf of the old "Valiants" before they were affirmatvely shopped?
Wondered what the affirmative shoppers did with those dogs? hope they didn't abuse them :lol:
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
cockroach9999
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by cockroach9999 »

Danman wrote:LR drivers also don't wave at all LR drivers, predominantly Defenders and Series Drivers.
<Flame retardant suit on>
Must admit that for me Defenders/series LR's are what I consider Landy's in any case. I always forget about those other things they make. :|

I shall now expect a number of flames for that

Jason :wave: :wave:
cockroach9999
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by cockroach9999 »

Hoppy wrote:Maybe we should patent a springloaded hand for the taigate with "Hilux 4x4.co.za" on, much like the dogs on the parcel shelf of the old "Valiants" before they were affirmatvely shopped?
I figured maybe replace the tailgate with a full size LED panel, keyboard in the cab for messages appropriate to the situation?
pietpetoors wrote:I have seen in two cases where you guys mentioned waving to fellow SFA owners, does that mean I do not have to wave at you
I reckon any Hilux counts!! Although not sure about the flatbed furniture haulers though, but let's not discriminate.
pietpetoors wrote:Let's just start a new trend. Go out and wave to any Hilux you see (SFA or IFS). Soon others will follow.
Seconded

JC :wave: :wave:
chopper

Post by chopper »

A "Hi-5" for a Hi-lux?!
I like it!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I have this litte yellow decal in the rear window (courtesy of my daughter) that reads "Grumpy old fart on board". I don't get that many waves ... wonder why .... :think: :wink:

cockroach9999
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by cockroach9999 »

chopper wrote:A "Hi-5" for a Hi-lux?!
I like it!
Or a Hilux wave?....perhaps it's more a wavy Hilux... :? :? :?
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: '16 Legend 45 DC 4x4M

Post by mushroom »

Was the Landy wave not born out of the old colonial English manners of "waving to ones neighbour as one tottered down the lane". Lux drivers should do the ol farmer finger up off the steering wheel - looks better. As for the speed limit - I envy okes who can reach the speed limit - but hey...whats the rush anyway?
Q20 if its stuck, duct tape if it moves :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
chopper

Post by chopper »

Jason,
You a shark supporter? :lol:
jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2.7i Hilux

Post by jsrossouw »

Hilux owners dont wave at eachother when passing by. They look at each other's tyres and compare size. I hope one day to be the one smiling and nodding back and not the one that avoids eye contact.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”