Western Cape - Looking back at 2009

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

We had a pretty good year in the Western Cape. It kicked off with a trail at Babilon's Torin (or Baby-Lion's Toe-Ring as Peter Coop dubbed it). What a nice trail that was, with lots of playtime and some steep ups and downs. We had a couple of Mitsubishi's (a Triton and a Colt) and a Prado in our midst, and these guys showed us that their machines can also drive almost everywhere we could in our Hiluxes. That did not stop us from batting around some friendly banter though, but everybody left as friends. Not only was the trail challenging, but the scenery was spectacular to boot.

Next up was an excursion to Atlantis with Bennie visiting us in CT where the 4Y-EFI manne realised their machines were not mapped for sand driving, and had to go back to the drawing board. Bennie also got his first taste of sand driving and didnt like it. He prefers the tar roads in Gauteng in his Plasticjero. We got to know Manie in his sand loving 4Y and Bees showed us a thing or 2 in his 4x2 Hilux, proving that it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog that counts.

We went into winter with very few outings and eventually Hentey Pople decided that we should do a trail to celebrate the creation of the Hilux4x4.co.za Club. This was done at Tierkloof, a trail we did before and enjoyed doing again. The day was quite warm and all the attendees had a ball. None 4Y-EFI machines who were supposedly mapped for mountainering and rock crawling attended the day, which was a pity, but I guess they were still too busy mapping their EFI's for mall crawling.

With Tierkloof behind us we had another outing to Atlantis. This time not only for dune charging but to play some games. This was also the first time we got sponsors to hand out prizes to participants in the Western Cape. We played a Blind-Driving game, which made for some really interesting in-cab convesations between driver (usually husband) and navigator (usually wife). Next we did a dune charge where Wolffie in his newly acquired Carb Fed 4Y Hilux kicked sand into the eyes of some of the modified Hiluxes after following the advice of a certain Andries Blaaw who made him deflate his tyres substantially. The day ended in a braai in the dunes, and prize giving, with AEW Auto, Red Pepper Bullbars and PietPetoors being the main sponsors.

Our final (official) outing of the year happened at Dirt&Dust, an obstacle course in a field outside Durbanville. Lots of fun, lots of thrills and lots of spills with drivers testing their machines to their limits (the limits of the drivers that is). The venue lived up to its name, with dirt and dust flying about as the vehicles struggled for grip on the slippery clay surfaces. The venue is perfect for driviers wanting to get to know their vehicle's abilities and to push the envelope of their own limits. It can be a vehicle breaker, but only if your ego allows it to be. The kids and Louis's 2 Jack Russels had heaps of fun cooling off in the mud-pools. Some of the drivers did too.

Now with November behind us and only December remaining, it will be a mad scramble to get to all the Year-End deadlines and commitments and to finally get to those pesky New Years resolutions you made on 1 Jan 2009. Stop smoking dammit! And then some of the luckier guys will be going away for their December holidays, so no more official outings will be organised. It does not mean that we cant go play whenever we have time. I have 2 Sundays available to go "bos" and I am planning to spend at least one of these at Atlantis.

If anybody out there in the Western Cape feels like organising an outing on behalf of the Hilux.co.za Club, please feel free to do so. Official outings in the Western Cape are not the exclusive domain of Pieter, Niel and myself, but any club member can organise a day-trip, a weekend away or even a longer overlanding trip. Louis (Rolbos) already indicated that he is very keen on organising a weekend away to Boegoeberg in early March for 15 Hilux Club members. For the time being we'll pencil it in on the Events Calender until closer to the time when we can commit to a definite date and time.

Some bad news this year was that the Takbok trail near Paarl closed down. In the recent past, this trail was badly maintained and the closure was imminent but it offered some of the most spectacular mountain trails in the Western Cape, especially 2 down-hills of note, one of which got the adrenalin pumping at our year End function in 2008. It is a pity that this trail closed down as it is close to Cape Town and had a nice braai area and obstacle course as well.

To everybody who attended our events this year, and to the sponsors and the venue owners and all the people who assisted with organisation of the events, I want to say a great big warm thank you from Pieter, Niel and myself! You guys rock, you made it all worth while. Without your participation the whole thing will fall flat and the amount of support and interest you guys have shown is fantastic. Give yourselves a pat on the back guys!! Come let us all pull together and make 2010 even bigger and better than 2009. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Re: Western Cape - Looking back at 2009

Post by Niel »

Thys, well said and I agree.

I must thank you for the organizing events this year as you did all organizing and that is something that takes time and effort. :thumbup: I also think that you have taken the events to a new level with the "competitions" and prizes. :thumbup:

Thanks to all that sponsored prizes. :thumbup: :clap:

I hope to see more of the WC members at the events next year. :thumbup:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Kaspaas wrote:...Next up was an excursion to Atlantis with Bennie visiting us in CT where the 4Y-EFI manne realised their machines were not mapped for sand driving...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yip, Bolt in the hands of a newby sand driver didn't perform well... but hell we had fun... is'nt that what it's about Thys?

Allan drove Bolt at the last Atlantis event... and kicked sand in the Mitsu 3L V6's eyes... so yes theres alot to be said for driver experience hey! :twisted:

Lekker!
LoneRanger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 95 Hilux 2.2 4y double Cab 4x4

Post by LoneRanger »

Hi Guys
"weekend away to Boegoeberg in early March for 15 Hilux Club members"

Is this only for CLUB members or does it include 'tag-a-longs' :wave:
My Toys - and freedom
Old man emu suspension,snorkel,PowerFlow exhaust and branch,burnco bumpers front and back, burnco aluminium canopy,awning, 31" Bridgestone A/T,dual battery system, long range fuel tank and water tank and rear lockers.
1100cc Honda Blackbird 2002
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Well done with all your efforts and organisation, Thys! :thumbup: Did you forget about Matroosberg, or does it not fall into the Western Cape?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

RustyRod wrote:but hell we had fun... is'nt that what it's about Thys?
Looks like you're getting the idea at last Bretton... It is all about having fun... the more fun you have the better.. otherwise why do it? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mud Dog wrote:Well done with all your efforts and organisation, Thys! :thumbup: Did you forget about Matroosberg, or does it not fall into the Western Cape?
Matroosberg was cancelled as a Forum/Club event Andy. Some members did do it in their private capacity though.

Hey, I did nothing, I created the post to invite everybody to the events and then got Niel to phone the Trail Owners.. (He's got lots of free minutes)... The pleasure was all ours.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Great to see you guys are having fun with your Luxes :thumbup: And not just bragging about the crayfish.....

Well done to the organisers, You guys need a round of :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Kaspaas wrote:
RustyRod wrote:but hell we had fun... is'nt that what it's about Thys?
Looks like you're getting the idea at last Bretton... It is all about having fun... the more fun you have the better.. otherwise why do it? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mud Dog wrote:Well done with all your efforts and organisation, Thys! :thumbup: Did you forget about Matroosberg, or does it not fall into the Western Cape?
Matroosberg was cancelled as a Forum/Club event Andy. Some members did do it in their private capacity though.

Hey, I did nothing,I created the post to invite everybody to the events and then got Niel to phone the Trail Owners.. (He's got lots of free minutes)... The pleasure was all ours.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
OK, now I know something's wrong ..... it's not like you to be modest! :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

I just asked about Matroosberg 'cos I remembered there was a report on it, forgot that it had been camcelled as a 'official' event. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

And again your rugby team sucked :twisted: :twisted:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

BenHur wrote:
And again your rugby team sucked :twisted: :twisted:
:lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

Thanks to everyone that made my 4X4 year such a pleasure! To the guy that introduced me to the fun of 4X4, even bigger thanks! I've met so many different people going on trails and it was a privilege to drive with you WC guys where 99.9% where helpful and friendly. I’m from Vaallieland and the rumours that the Cape guys are not friendly are just that, rumours. My family and I had a ball! Thanks again.
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Isn't the rugby thing a bit off topic :?:

We had a great year, thanks to everyone that made it possible :clap:
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Hoppy wrote:Isn't the rugby thing a bit off topic :?:
Ja well, we'll take it from whom it comes...the good times and comradeship we experienced supersedes dumb comments like that by far... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Please guys this kind of banter is expected! If you can dish it out, you should be able to take... lets not fight about nonsense like Rugby!

Niel, Thys... thanks for all the effort put in... it's really appreciated... as long as the events are organised and run in the spirit show this past year, my family and I will be there... with Kim showing the way... at least my GPS is beautiful and has a sexy voice! :lol: unlike those Garmin's and TomBoy's!

Thanks guys!

mr b
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

RustyRod wrote:Please guys this kind of banter is expected! If you can dish it out, you should be able to take... lets not fight about nonsense like Rugby!

Niel, Thys... thanks for all the effort put in... it's really appreciated... as long as the events are organised and run in the spirit show this past year, my family and I will be there... with Kim showing the way... at least my GPS is beautiful and has a sexy voice! :lol: unlike those Garmin's and TomBoy's!

Thanks guys!

mr b
I think banter is fine, just keep it on-topic. Otherwise it just troll-like.

To be able to do these trails with my family AND them enjoying themselves was what made it so worthwhile for me. I will keep the memories of my baby girl going ‘WHHOOOAAH, WHHOOOAAH’ out of pleasure forever. Going all soggy here...
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

King Rat wrote: Going all soggy here...
Ag sies man Coenie ek het dit nou nie van jou verwag nie :wink:
Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: D-4D Hilux Raider 4x4

Post by Buff »

2009 also marked the year of me buying my first Hilux and joining you guys on 2 events (2 Ocean's & Atlantis). Thanks for the awesome time and making me feel so welcome. Here's to 2010 being even better :thumbup:
Hilux 2.7 Raider D/Cab 4x4

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”