Security devices

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Mark Venter
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Aberton - Muldersdfift-farm
Vehicle: Land Rover S2A/Toyota-Stolen

Security devices

Post by Mark Venter »

Working for Mercedes Bens a few years ago i have encoutered a few not off the shelf security devices, one of them was a LP gas mixed with oxigen spryed with nozzels from jets below the front doors activated with a button next to the brake pedal, no one could survive that. do not know how legal that is but soe it on a few S500's. Coils conected inside the door with brass strips on the inside of the door handle, when the motor is running and you try open the door it bites you. How about 3mm steel plate covering the pedals with a good lock but it must work like a mouse trap

Does any body have other ideas on this subject. MY idea is to scare the living soils out of the next car thief and make hilux a no go,for them.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Re: Security devices

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

I have a grade 3 pepper system fitted to my truck, it has this cylinder behind the passenger seat which has pepper spray compressed inside it, linked to the air vents, thus when entry into the vehicle is done, all I have to do is press my button and de-activate it, however I feel stuff all for the person who tries to steal my Hilux :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then you can consider hanging fish hooks with 50kg nylon behind the cd/radio player, might catch yourself a fish.

Basically these methods are for the run of the mill theft of a vehicle, the professionals just lift the vehicle onto dollies and a pony and pull the lot away.

C-Track, Tracker etc Companies are the only way to go

Or you can buy yourself a Land........ nobody wants to steal them :wink:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Simon Simon :!: , the poor Landrover manne. :lol: :lol:
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Niel they could also be Ladies :twisted: Funny how we refer to most things as Guys, men, boys, dude, broer I wonder what a female Dude is called :roll:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

SYRON CONVERSIONS wrote: I wonder what a female Dude is called :roll:
In afrikaans praat hulle soms van 'n Doedie, so I guess a Duddy would be acceptable.
Niel

Post by Niel »

We only have 1 female member to date if memory serves .... Have not heard from her for some time now :?: She might have had a word or two here
Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Slightly off topic here but M2CW, my sister calls me dude all the time and I have come to know that the female of dude is now dudette :!: :wink:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

Mark ek kan sien jy is nou al goed g@tvol vir affirmative shopping. Ek kan my indink hoe jy moet voel en die feit dat ons moet iets doen om ons voertuie te behou is 'n groot moet.

Ek glo die tracking stelsels is goed maar hulle het maniere om dit ook te omkom. Onthou 'n boef is altyd een stappie voor. Ek het 'n gear lock maar hy word nooit gebruik nie :x Die alarm stelsel kan ontkoppel word in 2 minute en dan al wat oorbly is dat jou bakkie gesteel word. Ek dink aan 'n meer meganiese stelsel soos dalk 'n petrol lyn afsny systeem en ook dalk iets wat die enjin laat stop. Ek hou egter van die idee om die pepper gas te spuit. Mens wil mos die boef so bietjie afknou en hom 'n les of twee leer....Persoonlik moet ek hom maar eerder nie vang nie, hy sal vereker sonder vingers wees as ek met hom klaar is. :shock:
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
Niel

Post by Niel »

Knersus wrote:Mens wil mos die boef so bietjie afknou en hom 'n les of twee leer....Persoonlik moet ek hom maar eerder nie vang nie, hy sal vereker sonder vingers wees as ek met hom klaar is.
Mark ek kan sien jy is nou al goed g@tvol vir affirmative shopping. Ek kan my indink hoe jy moet voel en die feit dat ons moet iets doen om ons voertuie te behou is 'n groot moet.
Die Kalahari is mos n groot area of hoe :?:
SYRON CONVERSIONS

This is why on each door of my Hilux I have written

ENTER AT OWN RISK This is not because it is an awesome vehicle, but becasue of the pepper spray, my wife said all very well, but if you try and drive your Hilux when you are weewee'd and you forget to de-activate it, then you will be in groot $%#$ met my :oops: Dit is hoekom ek het dit afgeneem as ek gebruik die voertug.

Want as ek die bakkie in a parking lot near a big shopping complex geloss, dan gebruik ek die system.

simoan
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

Niel ja die Kalahari is groot :twisted: en ertvark gate is lekker diep :twisted: . Ons is egter baie gelukkig in hierdie area tot diefstal. Ons het huisinbraak, kar radio's, sel foon diefstal en daai tipe goed maar voertuig diefstal gebeur net as die JHB gangs hier kom steel. Hulle is so vir 2 weke besig in 'n jaar in ons area dan geepad hulle weer. Die ouens steel in die nag jou bakkie uit jou garage uit. Ons is maar 'n soft target want ons sluit nie ons goed nie :shock: Die boere hier reken as jy jou bakkie nie sluit nie en die vensters oop los dan breek hulle ten minste nie in as hulle wil steel nie :idea: ek reken die diewwe dink seker dat 'n bakkie wat met oop vensters staan nie waardevolle goed in het nie.

Syron how does your pepperspray system work and how is it activated. I think your wife is correct in saying that you must not step into your own trap if you had a few drinks :lol:
It is great to see that the eastern cape can also speek Afrikaans. Please do not hit us with Xhosa
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
Tycoon
Town: Kliprivier gouteng
Vehicle: 1981 hilux dc\4x4 & 1986 Jeep cj7

Post by Tycoon »

Hi Guys,

My mother removes her Nissan 1400's Rotor every time she parks it in a public parking lot.
This must work, she stil has it, and she has no other security devices fitted. She has become an ace at removing and fitting it, taking just a few seconds. Personaly i prefere a good aftermarket alarm system that i fit myself and mound in the strangest places, and a good quality gear lock. I have also fitted an electric feuel pump that gets cut off by the alarm.
This all won't stop the professionals but make it harder for them. I have seen a plate system that covers the peddals hinging on two bullet hindges and locking with a pin and padlock system looks strong and u can lock valuables behind it.
Kiggs
Town: Kampala
Vehicle: Hilux 2006

Post by Kiggs »

Hello
Does anyone know the model number of the "watch type" battery in the key for central locking (Hilux 2006 2.5G Diesel)

Kiggs
Sakkie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 DC 4x2

Post by Sakkie »

Guys, one of my friends in Bloem has a 2.4 SFA and his most effective security system to date is a 10mm metal plate that locks the pedals behind it. It is bolted to the bodywork and when open lies flat on the floor. He bought the SFA like that, so I dont know who did it, but in two attemps at stealing the SFA the worst he got off was the breaking of the door locks.

I'll try to post some pics of it.
Cheers
Mark Venter
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Mark Venter »

Sakkie wrote:Guys, one of my friends in Bloem has a 2.4 SFA and his most effective security system to date is a 10mm metal plate that locks the pedals behind it. It is bolted to the bodywork and when open lies flat on the floor. He bought the SFA like that, so I dont know who did it, but in two attemps at stealing the SFA the worst he got off was the breaking of the door locks.

I'll try to post some pics of it.
Cheers
Some Pic would be appreciated sounds like something one could perfected and offer to intrested partys who wants to keep there pride and joy.
Sakkie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Sakkie »

Mark

Hier is die fotos van die security device. Ek hoop jy kan sien, die is my eerste probeerslag om fotos te post. Sover ek verstaan is die man besig om die device te patenteer, maar presies hoe ver hy is weet ek nie. Laat weet maar as julle belangstel dan sal ek hom vra of hy gaan verskaf en of julle maar self so device kan bou.

Sakkie

Mark Venter
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Mark Venter »

Dit lyk baie sterk,al is dit nie iets vit die oog nie. As ek so iets gehad het was ek nou oppad met vakansie in my bakkie,maar nou lyk dit vir my ek sal maar vroulief se RUN X RSI moet gebriuk :?

Ek sal die frame en die dinnekant van die deksel oorgetrek het met mat,en n patent gemaak het om die briek pedaal te druk as die deksel toe is om te verhoed dat die bakkie gestoot kan word

Dit lyk asof iemand baie tyd en dinkkrag hierop gespandeer het die werk is uitsteekend,kan nie baie op die klius fout find nie. Baie gooie werkmanskap :wink:

Baie dankie vir u tyd en fotos.
Sakkie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Sakkie »

Mark

I spoke again to Albert, no problem if you want to construct this "device" yourself, as long as you dont mass produce it for resale.

Cheers
Sakkie
Mark Venter
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Mark Venter »

Dankie sakkie

Ek gaan eers volgende jaar begin met my nuwe bakkie, moet hom eers koop.

Dink net daaraan as elke Hilux so ding in het sal hulle hom begun uitlos,en assuransie paaiemente sal afkom

Kom manne,laat Sakkie se friend vir ons almal een aanmekaar slaan vir n goeie Prys.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I like this idea and Mark's suggestions sound good, specifically w.r.t. the brake pedal being activated. Only thing that worries me ever so slightly is in the unfortunate event of an accident, the steel would not give way and could really do some serious damage to your leg. But then, those of us who drive Hiluxes as they were originally designed (with 4-cylinder engines!! :mrgreen: ) can never really go fast enough to do serious damage to our vehicles in any case.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Niel

Post by Niel »

Eric, when driving I am more worried what the other road users are doing than myself.
Last edited by Niel on Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Niel,

This is so true. When I went to Durban in October, I travelled along the Freeways/Toll roads. The number of accidents along the way, particularly after Harrismith, were horrific. One Hilux bakkie practically hanging vertically from a rocky ridge (have no idea how he got there or how they removed the vehicle, must have used a crane to get it down), trucks losing their loads, but the crux came when we were held up fo 30 minutes just after passing a tollgate. Seems one large truck (horse & trailer) rammed (or jack-knifed) another and caught fire. They had to cut the trucks up to get the drivers out, don't know whether they survived or not. After the huge traffic jam started to clear and we began to move along, the guy behind me was not keeping a watchful eye on the traffic flow, which kept varying between 80 - 120Km/Hr as the traffic flow sorted it self out and people kept weaving in & out to overtake slower moving vehicles. It was drizzling lightly at the time and although the road surface was good, the grassy verges on either side were terribly slippery.

We all slowed down, the guy behind me did not. Fortunately for me, he swerved on to the grass verge to over take me instead of hitting me at a considerably higher speed than I was travelling, spun 90° on the grass verge as he passed me, but careered off through a hedge and over a drain culvert to the opposite highway before coming to a stop. Had he hit me, he would have written off both our cars and I have already experienced whiplash when another guy rammed me at a stop street, not very nice. I washed my car the day before the trip, thanks to this gentleman's actions, this is what it looked like afterwards:
Mercedes 004 resize.jpg
The car was a lot dirtier than it looked, and I had to clean the windscreen as well. The roof was also covered with mud.

The next holiday trip I take will be one where I avoid ALL tollroads and highways, wherever possible. It will be a pleasant change of scenery and no doubt a more relaxing drive and definitely cheaper!

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Niel

Post by Niel »

Eric, sorry to hear abought the incident. It is not the way one would like to start your holiday.... Glad you hear you were not directly involved ... We are moving closer to the silly season traffic ruch and I hope this year we will have less loss of life on our roads.

I like your car. You are a man with lots of surprises. I thought you only had the 3 Toys.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Niel, the funny thing is how quickly this sort of thing happens. One feels perfectly in control of your own vehicle, but should anything happen, there is really not too much one can do about it. The funny thing is I had checked the rear view mirror only a few seconds before this, and the chap was keeping his distance from me. A Hi-Ace type vehicle about 7 cars in front of me pulled out from the left lane to overtake a truck, this had been happening all the time since we passed the accident scene and all vehicles slowed down, allowed the Taxis or whatever to overtake, because they always moved back over to the left lane again. So our speed continually varied from 80-120km, depending on conditions. This was one of those times where we slowed from 120 to 80, and somehow the Oom behind me missed this one. All I knew of him was when he literally flew past me on the right side at what seemed one hell of a speed, slithering and sliding all over the place, he could not maintain a straight line. I thought he was going to do a 360° and clobber me from the front - I have seen that happen before as well, luckily not to me.

What really amazed me when he ploughed through the hedge was the way his car just jumped over the culvert - I expected him to probably flip as his front wheels touched the other side of the concrete wall, but he suffered no damage whatsoever, other than his car's bonnet badge (it was also a Merc!) turned out of alignment. His car was even cleaner than mine after all this:)

I should have asked him to at least pay for my Valet service :mrgreen: My car was much dirtier than seems apparent from the photo.

-F_D

Niel

Post by Niel »

Family_Dog wrote:Niel, the funny thing is how quickly this sort of thing happens
Very true, I have been involved in one or two of these quick happening accedents and it is all over in a few second.
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

I wrote off a TVR once.... :|

The right front tyre came off the rim in a left hand turn... I was doing about 120kmh when this happened. The rim dug into the road and the car started spinning out of control. Hair raising stuff. I was strapped in. Thank goodness. Also took seconds... :!:

Nice looking security device. I would hate to get my feet caught in it during an accident. :mrgreen:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”