Replacement tyres

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
Gerrit
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 1989 Hilux 4x4/ new vigo 3.0d4d 4x4

Replacement tyres

Post by Gerrit »

I have now done 56 000km on the crap original general tyres and I need to replace them. I was thinking towards the Michelin LTX`s. Any suggestions?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Replacement tyres

Post by CasKru »

Gerrit wrote:I have now done 56 000km on the crap original general tyres and I need to replace them. I was thinking towards the Michelin LTX`s. Any suggestions?
Ek is 'n groot Bridgestone Dueler AT694 fan... Dit is waarmee die nuwe Fortuners geissue word
To God be the glory
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

OOOODS het BF All-terrain tyres op haar Tuna, van dag een, geen probleem daarmee nie! :thumbup:
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

CasKru wrote:Ek is 'n groot Bridgestone Dueler AT694 fan
Ditto :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Gerrit wrote:I have now done 56 000km on the crap original general tyres and I need to replace them. I was thinking towards the Michelin LTX`s. Any suggestions?
Very noisy tyres, and pricey too! Soft compound with excellent grip on tar and in the wet, but don't last .... you'd be lucky to get 50k. There are better options (I like the import Coopers myself). :D: :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Niel

Post by Niel »

Andy, pitty the outer block on the Cooper ST break off and it tear easily (stones/rocks) otherwise also a lekker tire
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Niel wrote:Andy, pitty the outer block on the Cooper ST break off and it tear easily (stones/rocks) otherwise also a lekker tire
I've heard of this happening, Niel, but to date I've had no issues and I've been through some really rocky terrain .... maybe I'm lucky! :D:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Niel

Post by Niel »

Mud Dog wrote:maybe I'm lucky
Yip, I know of a number of "unhappy customers" as they all experience the same problem
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Have they had any luck with claims against the suppliers? :think:

Niel

Post by Niel »

Not that I know of - but I will contact them in the next week or so
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Also have a look at the new Good Year Wrangler AT/SA
ImageImage
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Bridgestone Duelers D 694!

Niel, I have Cooper Mud Tyres on Bulldog, no problems at all! I also had Cooper AT on White Fang, likewise no problems.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Niel

Post by Niel »

Eric, I too had no problems until we did the rocky trails then the tearing started but even between the thread block it also start cracking. I will add some pics inthe next day or 2. The STT;s dont soom to have the same problem only the ST. Still a nice tyre on the tar and gravel/sand.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

Niel, I too have the Coopers S/T. There are a couple of cuts on my tyres, however I know where I got them and it was off roading in sharp shale with my tyre pressure too high. I have found that on my vehicle I need to run my tyres slightly lower pressure then my last tyres Firestone ATX. Since I have done so I have not noticed an increase in the cuts and chipping. I do think this is one of the reasons. But I'm not and expert but this is what I have found. Still I rather have a couple of chips in my tyres then loads of punctures.
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Just by the way guys. Generally speaking when tyres start to show crack in between the tread pattern the tyre is probably more than 4 years old. Tyres have a lifespan of 4 years since manufacturing and start to crack if the get old. m2cw
To God be the glory
Hannes.S
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: 11
Vehicle: 111

Post by Hannes.S »

DETERMINING TIRE DATE CODES

How old are the tires on your vehicle? The date of manufacture is indicated by the last group of digits in the DOT manufacture code on the sidewall of the tire. The number is often stamped in a recessed rectangle. The DOT code tells who manufactured the tire, where it was made and when. The last group of digits in the code is the date code that tells when the tire was made.

Before 2000, the date code had three digits. Since 2000, it has had four. The first two digits are the week of the year (01 = the first week of January). The third digit (for tires made before 2000) is the year (1 = 1991). For most tires made after 2000, the third and fourth digits are the year (04 = 2004).

In the photo below, the date code is 8PY0806. The 8PY is a manufacturing shift code, and the date the tire was actually made was 0806, which is the 8th week (08)in the year 2006 (06).

The date of manufacture is essential information for car owners and tire buyers because tires deteriorate even if they are not used. European automobile manufacturers recommend replacing ANY tire that is more than six (6) years old, including the spare tire. No such recommendations have yet been made by domestic vehicle manufacturers.
Attachments
tire_date_code_3b.jpg
Last edited by CasKru on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Update ref to photo
warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Barberton
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 Auto, LRFT, Dual Batt, OME's, BFG AT's, ARM comp, 800w inv, Roofrack

Post by warthog »

Ek't BFG A/T's opgesit na minder as 2000 km's op die rubbish waarmee dit uitgekom het, het sedertdien 28000 gedoen. Sal nie sommer iets anders opsit nie.

BIL Jan met die D/C het voor ons Namib trip Coopers op sy bakkie gesit, 2 weke na ons terug was het hy dit vir BFG's geruil- Coopers is goed en lyk mean, maar padgeraas.....
Hennie
ImageImage

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Jos 24:15: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”