Upgrading Suspension

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
DavidH
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner

Upgrading Suspension

Post by DavidH »

Hi guys! I have a 2006 Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4. The suspension is smooth and nice for the road but off road is not too great! I know I need better tyres but also looking to upgrade the suspension. Will the upgrade make the road riding very uncomfortable and "bumpy" or are there options to minimise this? Thanks
Uys
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2008 D4-d Fortuner

Re: Upgrading Suspension

Post by Uys »

David.

If you need it for off road, do the following. Fit OME/TJM - your choice, but ask them to fit rear shocks of a 80 series Cruiser. It is a straight bolt in, with no conversion required, but a much longer shock, so it really improves travel. You'll also have to lengthen the brake pipe on the rear axle to handle the travel. This will however only work if you replace the coils as well, because the OEM colis will fall out under full articulation.
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner

Post by DavidH »

Was looking at putting on OME SP Coil Springs and SP Nitro Charger Shocks! Would it be better to put the Series 80 on the back instead? My biggest concern is we like to do long trips and next years got a 2 week trip to Mozambique from Cape Town. But dont want an uncomfortable ride just to improve off-road capabilities... Thanks
observer
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4

Post by observer »

I also want to upgrade my suspesion with OME. Some people say the Nitrocharger Sport is much harder than the regular Nitrochargers and some say it is better :?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Uys wrote:David.

If you need it for off road, do the following. Fit OME/TJM - your choice, but ask them to fit rear shocks of a 80 series Cruiser. It is a straight bolt in, with no conversion required, but a much longer shock, so it really improves travel. You'll also have to lengthen the brake pipe on the rear axle to handle the travel. This will however only work if you replace the coils as well, because the OEM colis will fall out under full articulation.
Uys...sorry I know you are currently in Lesotho / Bobjaans, but what would you recommend for front (standard) or something els?
Mikem1
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Isuzu 3.0 D-tec

Post by Mikem1 »

Hi Guys

The fortuner in my opinion needs the following
Bilstein shocks front and rear and a progressive rear coil
Which only raises 25 mm as you really don't want to raise this vehicle too much as it becomes unstable.As the progressive coil deflects the spring rate increases so unladen softer ride and laden able to handle the load.
You can adjust the shocks to suite your needs as in firm or soft
Done a few great results
Regards
Mikem
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Tx Darrell :thumbup:
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

adrenalind wrote:Hi Guys

The fortuner in my opinion needs the following
Bilstein shocks front and rear and a progressive rear coil
Which only raises 25 mm as you really don't want to raise this vehicle too much as it becomes unstable.As the progressive coil deflects the spring rate increases so unladen softer ride and laden able to handle the load.
You can adjust the shocks to suite your needs as in firm or soft
Done a few great results
Regards
Mikem
Ahhhh, that sounds like a winner!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

David, do yourself a favour and buy the March issue of WegRy or whatever their english version is. Read the article on P60.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”