Fortuner Warning

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Fortuner Warning

Post by pietpetoors »

I hope Alan Goodway wont be too upset with me, I took this from his latest newsletter.
If you like to be up to date on what is going on in the 4x4 world then subscribe to Alan's newsletter. It is almost like reading a book, but worth it. Alan's web site is at http://www.4x4offroadclub.co.za/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Morning Alan,
We were in Pretoria early – to feed our student son ahead his last test before the Easter recess
when we had a little mishap – something you may want to warn other Fortuner owners about –
and it was the second time it happened to me.
We stopped briefly at the Hillcrest Boulevard shopping centre in Lynwood Drive and while I
waited for Anita to get out of the car to lock it, I noticed a man not far from where I was; tying his
shoe laces (I assume he was involved). I later noticed the same man constantly in my vicinity,
watching my every move – still not giving it any thought. We bought Reder what he needed and
returned to the car – not more than 10 minutes later. We dropped Reder off and proceeded to my
mother-in-law for an early dinner before the Safari Centre function.
That’s where we realised Anita’s laptop was taken from my car – no forced entry! I first thought
someone interfered with or intercepted the frequency of the remote locking device. It is after all
the new way of gaining access to motor vehicles.
But this morning Santam – who’s not settling the claim because the laptop was not specified –
told me that they have had an increase in theft from Fortuner’s without damage caused to the
vehicle. Apparently they unclip the indicator’s protective cover and do something with the wiring
that opens and mobilises the car (just as you would with your remote). It apparently takes them
no more than three minutes to open the car, get what they want and disappear.
And I can only assume that the character that was tying his shoe laces and stayed within eye
contact all the time was the thieves’ early warning system. It’s a hell of a long story, just to say
terribly sorry for missing last night’s function which were looking forward to for weeks.
Best wishes
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Racing snake
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Fortuner

Re: Fortuner Warning

Post by Racing snake »

Has anyone else heard of or had this problem?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Oh yes definitively :!: :!: :!:
AM Racing
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

I think this would apply to the Hilux's as well if they have air bags. There are two crash or impact sensors mounted either side of the radiator on the radiator panel. It has 3 wires going to either sensor. I wont say what they are for fear of further "education" but it is possible to simulate a crash situation in which case the doors automatically unlock so that the occupants can escape the vehicle. We do this on the VW products when keys are locked in the vehicle but we connect the scan tool to the information line and do a crash test simualtion with the same results.
ImageImageImage
yahya
Town: johannesburg
Vehicle: toyota fortuner

Post by yahya »

Hi gentleman. I was in a similar situation at a busy shopping complex. However, I was warned previously to check the doors after locking them with the remote. After pressing the button on the remote to lock the doors the doors did not lock. I attempted about four times before it locked. There was a chap who was loitering in the vicinity and while he was around the door would not lock. These guys use any ordinary household remote to block the cars remote . I tried this at home and proved that is what happens. So all Tuna users be warned get into the habbit of checking your doors before walking away.
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

This is worrying. How do we protect ourselves from this? Any mod like the previous "security upgrade" from Toyota?
Real drivers use three pedals
Frederick
Town: Hendrina Mpumalanga
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux. 2016 79 Land Cruiser
Club VHF Licence: X42

Post by Frederick »

Selfde sentrum met my gebeur, maar gelukkig het ek die gewoonte om my deurhandvatsel te trek voor ek wegloop van die kar af. Het 'n hele lang ruk gesukkel en toe maar die deur met die sleutel gesluit. Daarna toe ek terugkom het ek my laf gesukkel om die deur oop te kry. Seker spitefull krimineel.
Bacon
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 VVti S/C

Post by Bacon »

This is probably the only way, Just don't know if they would work. maybe rivet them into place to.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18755" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4x4Maniac
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Wrt to the household/gate remotes they use to block the central locking signal to lock your vehicle. This is true for all cars! I work at Mercedes Benz and a normal gate remote blocks the signal on all the Mercs. So be absolutely sure your car locks, before walking away. Wrt the airbags method I don't have any advice...
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
Ralphlo
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Hermanus
Vehicle: Fortuner D4D, Full OME suspension, ONCA Bullbar and rock-sliders, long-range tank,diff breathers, VPS, roof rack, dual battery
Club VHF Licence: TA98

Post by Ralphlo »

Thats scary, the crooks seem to be one step ahead all the time. :evil:
When you come to a fork in the road, take it!

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”