OBD-II compliance

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
MarkS
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Fortuner 2x4 Diesel A/T

OBD-II compliance

Post by MarkS »

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and looking for some info....I have a 2010 Foruner 2 x 4 Diesel auto and I am trying to establish whether the vehicle is OBD-II compliant and if so what protocol it uses? I have tried asking the local dealership and as with all my after sales experiences, the response was poor. I have read everything I could find on the Internet but nothing conclusive. I have an ELM 327 OBD-II device which works well with my Android phone and the Torque application but does not seem to understand the vehicles ECU output. There are several protocols to choose from in the software (all compatible with the ELM device) and some other settings but I have not found a combination that works even though I have tried many...enough to begin wondering if the vehicle is in fact OBD-II compliant.

If anyone has any experience/info in this area they could share I would appreciate it.
Racing snake
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Fortuner

Re: OBD-II compliance

Post by Racing snake »

Sorry Mark. On this forum we only speak English or Afrikaans.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Racing snake wrote:Sorry Mark. On this forum we only speak English or Afrikaans.
:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Ek's amper van my chair afgeval...when I read your reply..... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

It is definately OBD 2, but you'll find it difficult to get the right software on your hand-held that reads SA spec Toyota's.
I've lost some money on OBD 1 & 2 units that was supposed to read "all vehicles" but never could read SA spec Toyotas.

Before 2000 each manufacturer had there own diagnostic system that no one but themselves could acces, this forced you to take your vehicle to the agents.
A worldwide lawsuit was launched by various aftermarket companies that forced all automakers to standardise their diagnostic plugs and systems, so "OBD" was born.
Nowadays every car that leaves the production line must have an "OBD" plug, OBD 2 being the second generation.
But like everyone knows, every law has a flaw, it was never specified that you must be able to acces everything through the OBD, and who controls the software needed to acces the ECU and all the systems it contains, so the race continues, but atleast you can get into some systems in most cars.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Kaspaas
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Post by Kaspaas »

Wow Hoppels, jy weet regtig alles!!!
:shock3:
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

My Skoonpa het ook so handheld gekoop, hy werk op sy ML 270, Jeep Grand cherokee, Jeep Wrangler en op sy GWM Steed maar nie op my Hiluxe nie.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

Kaspaas wrote:Wow Hoppels, jy weet regtig alles!!!
:shock3:
That is true.... what he has written comes straight out of the starwars manual.. so it must be true
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hoppy is a Jedi Knight is the Starwars Hilux world!

Obi-One-Knobi!

Hoppy have you found a unit yet that works on the latest generation Hiluxes?
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Yes, the new "Launch" but it's too expensive for the amount of times i need it, my friend up the road has one, he helps me out when i need it, luckily i've got some equipment he needs.
aev@iburst.co.za
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
rebuilder
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Adelaide
Vehicle: Toyota camry altise. Till I find a replacement hilux.

Post by rebuilder »

If you do some searching with google and look for IT II diagnostic equipment you will find a lexus hand held tester that is used by the agent that will speak to every toyota product with a obd connector for around. R5000 Will try look for that site again. found it last year and ordered it. I keep it in a very safe place.
There is a madness about been mad that only a mad person can understand.
Diesel and dust is where home is at.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Thanks, i'll look into that.
aev@iburst.co.za

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”