3.0 D-4d Auto vs Manual Fortuner

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
WildWill
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 3.0 D-4D 2X4 Manual Fortuner

3.0 D-4d Auto vs Manual Fortuner

Post by WildWill »

I would like to hear form owners who have switched from the first generation manual 3.0 diesel to the latest model 3.0 auto diesel. Does it still have that awesome torque or has the engine been "de-tuned" from the first generation? I see that the diesel is limited to 160km/h tops? I am tempted by the advantages of the auto box in traffic situations, but I don’t really want to sacrifice the brute power and grunt that I have with my manual Fortuner. Any comments will be appreciated.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: 3.0 D-4d Auto vs Manual Fortuner

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi, I went for a 'test drive' this week with the 3.0 D4D auto. :evil:

The salesman's words: 'that was now truly the shortest test drive I have ever been on'

You put our foot down and think the hand-brake is on!!!! It is terrible....like a donkey

One at 120km it's sorta ok.

But stick with your manual.
WildWill
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by WildWill »

Hehehe...nice description. Thanks OOOOMS! Maybe the new manual is the way for me - I do like the changes that they have made to the new generation.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Yeh, there are quite a number of nice improvements to the new 2009 model. :thumbup:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Rather get the V6 Auto :thumbup: :thumbup:
WildWill
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by WildWill »

BenHur wrote:Rather get the V6 Auto :thumbup: :thumbup:
V6 not an option...I pay for my own petrol :thumbdown:
tp007
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner

Post by tp007 »

WildWill wrote:
I have the v6 Auto and if I drive normal, I get 500km+ on 60l in city traffic and 600km+on 60l open road. On open road I lock the cruise control on 120kph and use A/C as and when I feel like it.... And I also pay my own fuel 8 )
WildWill
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by WildWill »

tp007 wrote:
WildWill wrote:
I have the v6 Auto and if I drive normal, I get 500km+ on 60l in city traffic and 600km+on 60l open road. On open road I lock the cruise control on 120kph and use A/C as and when I feel like it.... And I also pay my own fuel 8 )
Toyota puts the D-4D @ 8.6l/100km vs 4.0 V6 (Auto 4X4) @12.7 l/100km...i.e. V6 = about 50% heavier than D-4D on fuel consumption? I think considering the data that you are quoting, you are just lucky to own an exceptional unit...my brother get's about 5km/l on average on his V6 which sounds about right...granted he has never paid for fuel in his life, so he probably does not know much about driving conservatively.
tp007
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by tp007 »

WildWill wrote:
tp007 wrote:
WildWill wrote:
Toyota puts the D-4D @ 8.6l/100km vs 4.0 V6 (Auto 4X4) @12.7 l/100km...i.e. V6 = about 50% heavier than D-4D on fuel consumption? I think considering the data that you are quoting, you are just lucky to own an exceptional unit...my brother get's about 5km/l on average on his V6 which sounds about right...granted he has never paid for fuel in his life, so he probably does not know much about driving conservatively.
I think its all right-foot dependant. My boet drives a v6 Pathfinder and he gets 12-13l/100km on the open road. If you drive it like you stole it, then it will deffinately give you a hiding at the next fuelstop.

If I want to drive fast, that is what the platkar is for....
WildWill
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by WildWill »

tp007 wrote:
WildWill wrote:
tp007 wrote:
WildWill wrote:
I think its all right-foot dependant. My boet drives a v6 Pathfinder and he gets 12-13l/100km on the open road. If you drive it like you stole it, then it will deffinately give you a hiding at the next fuelstop.

If I want to drive fast, that is what the platkar is for....
That's fair comment...difficult decision for me.
tp007
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by tp007 »

Wildwill

I forgot about this

If you have a look at the sicker on the windscreen (left corner) you will see fuel indication on diff models (mine still have that sticker)

The v6 4x4 Auto is the best of all the prefacelift v6 as far as fuelconsumption is concern.

In all fairness, I use the corrolla for commuting and the FT is only for weekends, but I did use the FT for everyday use for almost 2 months, with abovementioned consumtion.
WildWill
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by WildWill »

tp007 wrote:Wildwill

I forgot about this

If you have a look at the sicker on the windscreen (left corner) you will see fuel indication on diff models (mine still have that sticker)

The v6 4x4 Auto is the best of all the prefacelift v6 as far as fuelconsumption is concern.

In all fairness, I use the corrolla for commuting and the FT is only for weekends, but I did use the FT for everyday use for almost 2 months, with abovementioned consumtion.
If it is indeed possible to get 600km to a tank on the V6 auto 4x4, then I will be interested. I get on average about 630km on a full tank with my D-4D manual 2x4, but then I drive it any way I feel like, i.e. typically I dont "drive it like I stole it", but also not constantly thinking of fuel consumption either, somewhere in-between. Given this, how conservatively do you have to drive the V6 auto to get 600km on a tank? Are we talking painfully conservatively where you dont exceed 80km/h and constantly have to remind yourself not to floor the pedal etc, etc - or it this consumption achieved with relative ease?
tp007
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by tp007 »

Keep in mind that 600km is on the open road, keeping 120km/h. If you drive civilised and not very agressive, I think it is easily achivable.

But don't take my word for it. Try get your hands on one (like your brothers) and drive a tank or two. As long as you don't redline it constantly, or excelarate hard continiously, you should get 600kms or there about. :thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Ha, ha, ha.... by B-I-L had a 3.0 d4d man and sold it 2 month ago for the 4.0 d4d Auto.

Yesterday he traded it in and is getting a 3.0 d4d man next week, again.....

Fuel consumption and does not like the auto!
warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Barberton
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 Auto, LRFT, Dual Batt, OME's, BFG AT's, ARM comp, 800w inv, Roofrack

Post by warthog »

Tinus, ek weet nie hoe kry jy daai petrolverbruik nie. Ek ry ook die V6 Outomaties, en die beste wat ek nog kon kry is 7,8 kilo's op 'n liter. In Namibie nou het ek op 'n kol met 'n sleepwa en 'n kwaai wind van voor 3.9 kilo's op 'n liter gekry.... en dit was teerpad!
My voet is seker maar net swaarder...
tp007
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by tp007 »

As ek onthou sal ek my logbook inscan en post...
Hectic
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: D4D

Post by Hectic »

I have the D4D Hilux DC 2009 Auto and I love it. The petrol is more responsive, but I also pay for my own fuel. The auto is great in town and even offroad it is very impressive.

Top speed is about 170km/h, but she cruises nicely at 140km/h. Just MHO. :angel:
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post by Agteros »

My gemiddelde verbruik op my V6 4l Fortuner (4x4 handrat) is 9.2 km/l. Dit is uitgewerk oor die totale afstand afgele van 17 437 km waar 1899 liter brandstof verbruik is. Ek heg 'n grafiek aan waar die km/l verbruik geplot is teen die afstand afgele. Op die oop pad kry ek tot oor die 10km/l en in die stad val hy na net so oor die 8 km/l. Die swaarste ooit was net oor die 6 km/l - dit was tydens 'n 4x4 roete (lowrange).
Attachments
fortuner_4l_v6_4x4.pdf
(14.05 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
WildWill
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by WildWill »

Hectic wrote:I have the D4D Hilux DC 2009 Auto and I love it. The petrol is more responsive, but I also pay for my own fuel. The auto is great in town and even offroad it is very impressive.

Top speed is about 170km/h, but she cruises nicely at 140km/h. Just MHO. :angel:
Nice to get that feedback Hectic.

What were you driving before the D-4D Auto?
What fuel consumption do you get with the Auto?
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

On my Pajero there is a huge differencing in consumption when SWAMBO drives the vehicle it is much more economical and she does not drive like a ou vrou either but me I like voet innie hoek regularly, I miss my beemer.
Ou Bloues
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux V6 Auto

Post by Ou Bloues »

I was born with a lead right foot, and I get in town 6.25km/l, and open road 7-7.5 at 140 - 150. OK, this is without towing, then it goes down to 5, the worst I ever got.

V6 4.L Auto you will drive forever, if you going to keep your diesel for long time, look at the running cost and the price of replacing injectors. Full service on V6 out of motor plan was only R 1250.00 parts and labor included at Toyota.

If you going to replace every 3 years, get the diesel.
If you don't believe in yourself, how can someone ells ?
tp007
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by tp007 »

I do sincerely appologise!! :oops:

After quick browse last night, I saw that my fuel consumption was not as "rosy" as I thought it be.

But judge for yourself.
Attachments
Fortuner Fuel Log.pdf
(15.71 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 Auto, LRFT, Dual Batt, OME's, BFG AT's, ARM comp, 800w inv, Roofrack

Post by warthog »

Phew! It looks at a glance in the region of 7,5 kilo's per litre, that's more like mine. Dankie tog!
Hennie
ImageImage

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Jos 24:15: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
tp007
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by tp007 »

Hennie,

Jy sal sien dat die log eers hier van 2000km+ begin hou het. Ek dink daai eerste 1000kms het ek beter gekry omdat ek ingery het. Het die petrol net gekielie...

O, ja. Wat verskil maak is om op 95 Oktaan te ry. Kry meer kms per tenk.
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post by Agteros »

Ou Bloues wrote:
V6 4.L Auto you will drive forever, if you going to keep your diesel for long time, look at the running cost and the price of replacing injectors. Full service on V6 out of motor plan was only R 1250.00 parts and labor included at Toyota.

If you going to replace every 3 years, get the diesel.
I agree. Can not actually work out why so many buyers go for the diesel apart from an immediate (fairly small) cost saving at the pump. Long-term "liabilities" and risk on the diesel too large (as you say, injectors, turbo's etc.). On the petrol however you have a massive power and response advantage (IMO) and nothing beats the quietness of that big V6.
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by warthog »

Tinus, moes 'n ou die wa inloop??... Sal onthou van die 95, maar hier oppie platteland is 'n ou se opsies nie so baie wyd nie.

Hugo, I agree. It's as close to my ultimate vehicle as I could wish for. Thirsty, but that I knew before I bought it, so I can't complain now. And like you say, the power and the quietness makes up for that. I thought of trading for the diesel auto, but the bit I read here, don't think so anymore...
Hennie
ImageImage

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Jos 24:15: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
WildWill
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by WildWill »

I always beleived that if you were going for an engine that would last "forever" then it would rather be a diesel and not a petrol?
Ou Bloues
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux V6 Auto

Post by Ou Bloues »

Yes, this was true for real Diesel Engines, with no Turbo's and injectors that could handle even clean water. Take the old 4.2 diesels in the Patrols and Landcruisers, those sings have done 1 mil plus and are still going. The new generation diesels is just to soon for SA, our diesel quality is not what is should be, Merc is not bringing 3 cars to SA due to this.
If you don't believe in yourself, how can someone ells ?
tp007
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by tp007 »

Agree with Bloues. Turbo causes the comprssion ratio to be very, putting the engine under strain.
One day over a long cold one I will tell you the reason for the "bad" diesel we have in SA...
tp007
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by tp007 »

Sorry Wildwill, we drifted off on your thread....

As far as I know the auto box on the diesel is only a 4-speed, which may be a good or bad thing.
If the gearing is "long" gears, it may be a pleasure to drive, but having a 5th gear as overdrive helps with fuel consumption.

On last thing on pertol/diesel. Have a look. The v6 manual and the d4d has the same NM torque, but the v6 auto has more torque. There goes the argument of "diesel has torque...", plus you don't have the turbo-lag of the diesel....
WildWill
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by WildWill »

tp007 wrote:Sorry Wildwill, we drifted off on your thread....

As far as I know the auto box on the diesel is only a 4-speed, which may be a good or bad thing.
If the gearing is "long" gears, it may be a pleasure to drive, but having a 5th gear as overdrive helps with fuel consumption.

On last thing on pertol/diesel. Have a look. The v6 manual and the d4d has the same NM torque, but the v6 auto has more torque. There goes the argument of "diesel has torque...", plus you don't have the turbo-lag of the diesel....
Granted, but (1) I have no idea what one would be needing MORE grunt for than the D-4D provides...enough for me anyway. (2) My D-4D, I can ride it all the way to the coast doing 160km/h (hypothetically) with a full load and towing a huge 3 quad trailer, fully loaded with quads, fuel, baggage, etc, etc...and I will never get get worse than 8km/l. :clap: :clap: :clap: I can do this while comfortably passing cars in 5th gear. If I were in the V6, I would be stopping to see my bank manager halfway there...(4km/l and worse). I am not dissing either model, In the end I am enough of a Toyota fan to appreciate that each has its application. It's a matter of "fit for purpose" - so I am going to test-drive the D-4D auto.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

The 3.0 Auto as mentioned before is a donkey from 0 - 80km, but found to be OK'ish at 120km/h. Did not drive it on cruise controll. However my B-I-L had the 4.0 auto, and could not stand it changing the whole time. His words "die ding, (*&%&$@) verander 160 van hier tot in Koster so (80km). He traded it in after 6 weeks and got another 3.0 d4d manual.

You decide :?:
WildWill
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by WildWill »

OOOOMS wrote:The 3.0 Auto as mentioned before is a donkey from 0 - 80km, but found to be OK'ish at 120km/h. Did not drive it on cruise controll. However my B-I-L had the 4.0 auto, and could not stand it changing the whole time. His words "die ding, (*&%&$@) verander 160 van hier tot in Koster so (80km). He traded it in after 6 weeks and got another 3.0 d4d manual.

You decide :?:
I heard this same story from a very seasoned member of the Toyota clan. According to him, there is a very definite technique required to optimise the D-4D's auto configuration. His advice was to use the cruise control extensively and when towing to lock the auto box into "3" so as to exclude the 4th gear, which is spaced far from the 3rd (approx 1000rpm difference). He did also mention that the V6 is suceptible of the same issue, in spite of it's narrower auto gear config. So as they say...the proof of the pudding...but I must tell you his. I have read a couple of forum's on the Fortuner in the last while - and overall I am left quite nervous about letting mine go. I almost get the feeling that one has to bee "lucky" not to buy a dud (car) Fortuner, based on all the complaints and woes that I have read about. So can I pick my next fortuner based on the day of the week on which the engine and body were built? I would like to pick a Wednesday, far from all the "Monday" and "Friday" problems that I read about.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Wed. is prob. good! My wifey's Tuna(0000DS) d4d Man 4x4 had a faulty injector done at 15 000km. However that's been the only problem todate now 40 000km.
Jurgen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 1998 LR D1 V8i

Post by Jurgen »

Net om ook iets te se... My Oom het 'n Fortuner D4D 4x4 met OME suspension en SAC chip (daai wat sommer maklik in en uit plug) Ek het die wa bestuur en hy kom blitsvinnig by 180kmh uit! Hy is ook heel stabiel met die suspension. Nou spaar ek myself blou om oor so 2 jaar daai wa cash te koop... :D Hy se hy kry 11km/l as hy mooi ry.
1998 LR D1 V8i
1989 Toyota Hilux 2200 DC 4x4 - sold with fond memories
PERS KERS
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: HILUX,CRUISER,FORTUNER

Post by PERS KERS »

Petrol is koning, my persoonlike ding is Diesel motor is n' disaster hy soek net plek om plaas te vind, ek hoor ons diesel is glo baie vuil, hoekom haal almal hul diesels uit en sit V8 Lexcus in?My Fortuner gee my 6km/l met groter bande maar ek 4x4 lekker en as ek by n' lang sand wal of duin kom hoef ek nie eenkant te taan en te kyk hoe n' enjin met kw op ry nie want myne het te min nie. Lekkerdag

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”