Noisy Fortuner 4.0V6 Gearbox

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
Pkarsten
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Rosh Pinah
Vehicle: Hilux

Noisy Fortuner 4.0V6 Gearbox

Post by Pkarsten »

The gearbox on my 4.0 V6 4x4 fortuner (Manual) is quite winy in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, does anyone knows if this should worry me or is this natural on the V6 fortuners, I know the previous shape 2.7 hiluxs was known for winy gearboxes in the first few gears but I don't know if this is the case on the V6 fortuner as well. I asked a Toyota agent in Cape Town and he asured me this is no matter to worry about, he only said that because the vehicle is still under warrenty (I think), if anyone have knowledge on this matter please assit. I am used to the 3.0D4D but that doesn't have the winy noise in the gearbox.
Pieter Karsten
2.4 Hilux D/C 4x4
4L V6 Fortuner 4x4
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Noisy Fortuner 4.0V6 Gearbox

Post by Mud Dog »

If the vehicle is still under warranty, I would get them t6o replace the box .... these problems don't get better with time, they get worse. Tell them that you are worried about it and want it fixed before the warranty expires.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Didn't know if it was true but one of my friends told me that the Fortuner's had a issue with gearboxes and that is why he went for the auto, he said form 30K km's they start with their trix, what goes wrong I don't know, you should think that they have the same box as the Hilux and I haven't heard of any problems there. 000MS has a Fortuner and did not hear of a complaint from him yet. :shock: :wth:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pkarsten
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Rosh Pinah
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Pkarsten »

Dankie, ek het hom by Toyota gehad toe hy nog onder waarborg was, net om te hoor dit is normaal, ek het nou intussen die olie laat aftap, dit was bietjie donker na 90 000km, daar was bietjie metaal op die prop as jy in die son kyk maar ek glo dit is normaal aangesien dit die eerste olie change is. Ek dink nie die Fortuner en die lux het dieselfde box nie aangesien die fortuner mos perpanent FWD is Ek sal maar die box laat trek net om seker te maak, ek dog net een van julle manne het dalk al iets gehoor of dieselfde ondervind.
Pieter Karsten
2.4 Hilux D/C 4x4
4L V6 Fortuner 4x4
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post by Agteros »

Hi Pieter

Ek het ook 'n v6 handrat Fortuner - my ratkas is stil - klink nie vir my reg nie.
Ek dink waar die ouens wel probleme optel met die handratkas is waar hulle teen lae spoed in 5de ry. Die enjin het baie torque so hy kry nie gou swaar nie - ek sorg dat ek in die stad nooit 5de gebruik nie - net op die ooppad as ek se hier by 80/90 kom skakel ek oor na 5de.
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”