DIFF LOCK

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
mikama
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: randfontein
Vehicle: quashqai

DIFF LOCK

Post by mikama »

Hi,Almaal
Ek wil net weet of my LUX met agterste Diff Lock uit gekom het, Dis n 1987 DC body
Hy het agterste diff lock op die voorige eienaar het somer die AC knoppie gebruik
vir di diff lock. Waar was die oorspronklike plek of moet ek my eie een op sit,Sal raad of
dalk n foto waardeer
Dankie

Mike
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Re: DIFF LOCK

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

mikama wrote:Hi,Almaal
Ek wil net weet of my LUX met agterste Diff Lock uit gekom het, Dis n 1987 DC body
Hy het agterste diff lock op die voorige eienaar het somer die AC knoppie gebruik
vir di diff lock. Waar was die oorspronklike plek of moet ek my eie een op sit,Sal raad of
dalk n foto waardeer
Dankie

Mike
Ek twyfel, ek weet dat die standaard "feature" van die 1998 LTD het standaard met diff-lock uitgekom.
Sent from my iPhone
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Only the 98 LTD was factory fitted with a rear diffloc, so no your 87(like mine) did not!

Do you know if you have an import axle or the local gearmax axle? Based on the year it should be a import axle.

So you can choose where to put the knoppie! :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Here it is ;-) ...... but it was not only the LTD's that came with a factory fitted diff lock.

IMG_5639.JPG
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Zantus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: Hilex

Post by Zantus »

Mud Dog wrote:but it was not only the LTD's that came with a factory fitted diff lock.
That's right....note the factory "diff-loc" sticker on my former 1997 2.8D Raider.
S1010001 _Small_.JPG
Barto de Koning
2008 Triton 3.2DiD 4x4 Clubcab
4x4 Trail & Overland Guide - GP3442
http://www.4x4tec.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Post by Riceburner »

Mike try take a pic of your diff housing from the rear!
mikama
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by mikama »

Hi,Almal
Op die dif is daar n draad wat dood le by my dash bord, is hy net vir n waarskuwing lig.
Kan ek die diff lock draade op dardie skakelaar verbind ek dink dit was die ou glow-plugs sin,
Met skroewe draaier aan ge wys.
Die laste foto, ek het die pyp van die diff lock getrys na die skakelaar toe werk hy dan met vacium

Image0016.jpg
Image0017.jpg
Image0018.jpg
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

The wire that comes from the diff to the back of the dash is for an indicator lamp that the diff lock has engaged (usually a green lamp). This most likely doesn't work anyway as the have a habit of rusting off at the contactor behind the cover plate on the diff. It's supposed to make contact when the diaphragm is sucked back by the vacuum actuation and if it's faulty, it's a good idea to repair it so that you have a visual aid to warn you or confirm that the diff lock is engaged. It has been known to happen that the diff breather blocks and the pressure build up from heat expansion inside the diff forces the diaphragm out which actuates the diff lock on it's own. :eh:

The switch that you use to activate the diff lock usually has a red indicator lamp that shows that the switch is "on". This switch is connected to the vacuum solenoid switch in the engine bay .... it has two vacuum pipes, one running to the diff (diaphragm) and the other is connected directly or indirectly (via brake booster vaccuum) to the inlet manifold. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
mikama
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by mikama »

Dankie dit help baie
Mike
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Sorry .... edited my post.
Not "via the crank breather" (there's not enough vacuum there), but via the brake booster vacuum line. ;-)

Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Post by Riceburner »

Cable operated Gmax?
mikama
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD