4" lift

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
lindsay
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: port elizabeth
Vehicle: 94 hilux d/c

4" lift

Post by lindsay »

Hi

I have the procomp 4" lift in my lux wich was fitted some 3 years ago an have had nothing but pleasure from this setup. Combined with cooper 33" stt's this vehicle just does not get stuck(touch wood) :lol: when I bought the lux sum 8 yrs ago it had just been rescued from the ocean floor and I was worried that I was waisting my money. Well its still going like a bomb wich I would like to give all credit to one of those little electronic rust eliminators. The load bin rusted away completely in about two years as it rests on rubber cushions and gets none of the pulse( hence the modified bin) but the body has had no significant rust damage( just the usual around the sills etc).

the leafs all corrosed and collapsed and the cheaper replacement option was Pro-comp. I can get any one of my wheels 1.2m off the ground before any other wheel loses traction. absolutely awesome ride/articulation and brilliant traction. best money ever spent. As for the Coopers, I have done 75000 on them and still have 10mm of tread( have never owned a spare either(touch wood again :lol: ))) I did a trip through Lesotho and borrowed a spare wheel wich turned out to be extra weight :D .

I bought a rear diff for 2000 with a gearmax locker in 5 years ago and till today have never connected the locker.

there cant be a tuffer more capable vehicle on the planet than a hilux and I will keep rebuilding my one untill we both to old to carry on :lol:

used to look like this

now like this ( who knows what the future holds :lol: )

SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Re: 4" lift

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Is that Hilux stuck in the dam :lol:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
kingdubber
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durbs
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4 4y

Post by kingdubber »

Hi,

Where did you get the pro comp kit from? I assume you imported it from Aus?
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

In Pretoria, there is a business called After Market Sales, the guys name is Heynes du Plessis, he sometimes advertizes in The SA 4X4 Magazine, he sells Pro-Cromp or you can contact Riceburner here on the forum.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

Hi Lindsay man now thats what a lux should look like.It would be awsome to know more about your it,how did she end up on the ocean floor and what motor have you got in her etc
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
lindsay
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by lindsay »

the kit was bought and fitted in SA at a local dealer in port elizabeth for R8400. kitt includes springs, the longest shocks u have ever seen, extention for steering and extended break hoses. dont know what the kit costs now but at the time was 10 000 cheaper than standard parts and 8000 cheaper than OME. I did fit iron man shackles later. ride is realy soft and the lift is the best you will get for the price.

pampeon, The van ran down a jetty in the harbour and sank( previous owner) :lol: I bought it at the time for 60 000 less than book value and it has lasted me well ever since :lol: I only have the standard 2.2 4y motor and it has proven to be more than ample when you never lose traction. in low range this bakkie is as good as any V8 :lol:

the bakkie is not stuck in the dam in that pic, we had great fun cooling off but I will admit that the bakkie smelt like sheep and cow dung for weeks afterwards( it was the first time the dam had water in for about 8 months :lol: )

the 1800 conversion is pretty simple. It has given me an unbelievable power increase and much better fuel consumption( 10km/l on the open road and about 8km/l in town. I used to get 6 on the open road). I built my own adaptor plate but there are places that actually sell them. The carb must be the original old type of golf 1800. midas ones do not work. most of the taxis in PE are doing the conversion to save fuel and boost power and it works really well
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by pampoen »

lindsay wrote:the 1800 conversion is pretty simple. It has given me an unbelievable power increase and much better fuel consumption( 10km/l on the open road and about 8km/l in town. I used to get 6 on the open road). I built my own adaptor plate but there are places that actually sell them. The carb must be the original old type of golf 1800. midas ones do not work. most of the taxis in PE are doing the conversion to save fuel and boost power and it works really well
Does that involve using an 1800 golf carb and using an adapter plate?And Man i just have to say that your truck is the sickest thing ive seen in a long while keep up the good work :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by pampoen »

Also Do you have any contact details for where the pro comp components are sold?
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Welcome Lindsay

Cool ride, Glad to hear you could save it from dying a rusty death :wink: :wink:

We have been waiting long for someone who actually has a Golf carb working on a Lux. We read about it on the SA 4x4 forum before that died. What jets are you running, the standard Golf jets?

We had a discussion about it here before and some guys reckoned it would not work on the standard jets and venturi sizes. Well now we have someone that can answer us.

Enjoy your stay on the forum.
lindsay
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by lindsay »

I will swear by the conversion as it has worked wonders for me. A good mate of mine did the conversion on a standard vehicle and says he has much more power but worse consumption. two other guys i gave the template to are over the moon. I think the trick is to use the original carb or it wont work. I did no jetting changes or anything. just made an adaptor plate, a new air inlet and that was it....double the power

If you look at the pics i posted, i did that whole obstacle course in 2wd in the middle of the night since i did the conversion. the best thing i eva did.

heres the base plate. absolutely simple( 10mm aluminium max)

mail me at lkluyts@absamail.co.za if you want all the info. please take note that I have one seriously modified vehicle and it has worked wonders for me. the guys that told me to do it are 4x4 challenge guys and they swear by it. i dont know what results you will get on a standard vehicle
Attachments
base.jpg
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Guys,

We have been discussing the VW Carb conversion ever since the start of this forum. Let's keep this carb discussion at the new topic heading here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2094

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Family_BullDog wrote:Guys,

We have been discussing the VW Carb conversion ever since the start of this forum. Let's keep this carb discussion at the new topic heading here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2097

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Eric, I see you like quoting famous people :)
To God be the glory
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Works for me! Image Image

-F_D

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”