Lindsay's 1800 Golf Carb Conversion Details

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Lindsay's 1800 Golf Carb Conversion Details

Post by Family_Dog »

This topic has enjoyed much discussion in the past, so I have started a new section for it. Lindsay has provided full details of what it entails.

---

lindsay wrote:I will swear by the conversion as it has worked wonders for me. A good mate of mine did the conversion on a standard vehicle and says he has much more power but worse consumption. two other guys i gave the template to are over the moon. I think the trick is to use the original carb or it wont work. I did no jetting changes or anything. just made an adaptor plate, a new air inlet and that was it....double the power

If you look at the pics i posted, i did that whole obstacle course in 2wd in the middle of the night since i did the conversion. the best thing i eva did.

heres the base plate. absolutely simple( 10mm aluminium max)

mail me at lkluyts@absamail.co.za if you want all the info. please take note that I have one seriously modified vehicle and it has worked wonders for me. the guys that told me to do it are 4x4 challenge guys and they swear by it. i dont know what results you will get on a standard vehicle

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

djkleu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pietermartizburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4lt V6 (Vigo)

4" lift

Post by djkleu »

HI Lindsay
Your Hilux does look great.
You mentioned that some places sell the adaptor plates for the carbs ? ANy idea who might do it ?
The carbs that are advertised at Golfwagen, would those work ? or if not do you have a specific carb model that I should look out for.
I was going to do a 7mge conversion but perhaps this is a cheaper option.
Thanks
JOn
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Re: Lindsay's 1800 Golf Carb Conversion Details

Post by Cookie Monster »

MMM maybe I should look at this option :?:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Justin,

Easy for you to do! Just go visit Lindsay! Sounds like a good and cheap alternative in these days of unhealthy fuel prices.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

For which engine is this convertion again? The 4Y?
To God be the glory
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

lindsay wrote:
>>>snip<<<

The van ran down a jetty in the harbour and sank( previous owner) :lol: I bought it at the time for 60 000 less than book value and it has lasted me well ever since :lol: I only have the standard 2.2 4y motor and it has proven to be more than ample when you never lose traction. in low range this bakkie is as good as any V8 :lol:

the 1800 conversion is pretty simple. It has given me an unbelievable power increase and much better fuel consumption( 10km/l on the open road and about 8km/l in town. I used to get 6 on the open road). I built my own adaptor plate but there are places that actually sell them. The carb must be the original old type of golf 1800. midas ones do not work. most of the taxis in PE are doing the conversion to save fuel and boost power and it works really well

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Thanks Eric... Was a bit lazy in trying to remember in which topic this one started from :)
To God be the glory
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

CasKru wrote:Thanks Eric... Was a bit lazy in trying to remember in which topic this one started from :)
That's 'cos you're not getting your beauty sleep... :twisted:

Actually, I wanted to separate all the Carb posts from the other topic and bring them over here, but I'm scared I'll delete something in the process... :mrgreen:

-F_D

lindsay
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: port elizabeth
Vehicle: 94 hilux d/c

Post by lindsay »

the conversion is very simple. the golf carbs have a rubber base. all you have to do is get a piece of aluminium 10mm thick, drill four holes to fit your existing manifold and get someone to machine a hole that matches the 4 holes of the golf carb and the shape of the golf spacer. just a plane and simple adaptor( nothing fancy). the tricky part is finding a inlet to the carb. i just went to an exaust place and made up a part that fits over the carb and joins to the existing donaldson pipe( ugly but efective) :lol: . i will post some pics and its all quite self explanitory. just remeber to get the genuine carb, the mdas carbs do not work
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

lindsay wrote: the tricky part is finding a inlet to the carb. i just went to an exaust place and made up a part that fits over the carb and joins to the existing donaldson pipe( ugly but efective) :lol: . i will post some pics and its all quite self explanitory. just remeber to get the genuine carb, the mdas carbs do not work
Hi Lindsay, nice Lux and I'm glad there is finally someone to shed some light on the carb subject.

As for the inlet, I assume you are talking about the air inlet on the top of the carb. The golf carb is usually held on with a centre bolt, that tends to come loose with vibration (one new head later) and slip into the intake.
The remedy is to run down to your closest Goldwagen and buy yourself a bolt on air tube for cone filters. On the top of the carb there are 3 tapped bolt holes which are made for this tube. The only issue then is that it comes off on the accelerator side and there may not be enough space to get some RAM tubing in to get to the donaldson. It all depends on which way the carb is seated.

I will try and find a picture of it and post it.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Here's a link for a place I found down in the cape that has the air fiilter adapters, this is in carbon fibre look whilst the goldwagen ones are plain matt black, but the design is the same.
http://inductionkits.co.za/index.php?ma ... f0f6cc5d6d

Of course an adapter plate could be made by using alu or steel, to be able to fit it at 90 or 180 deg thus enabling you to just slip the donaldson pipe on the end.

Goldwagen charge about R80 for the adapter and also sell a rip off carb that comes with a 18 month guarantee (R660) but I would have to agree that getting the genuine Keihin carb is the best option (try scrap yards and get a recon kit). I have no experience with this conversion to a hilux but I have years of experience with carburettor golfs and I can say that after playing with genuine carbs, webers and chinese imports, I always went back to the original. It is a nice and simple carb to work on and set.

Goldwagen have branches all over the place: http://www.goldwagen.com/index.php?opti ... 2&Itemid=3
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
lindsay
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by lindsay »

scooter, i have looked all over for something that matches the carb and also my donaldson filter and found nothing in PE that works. I made my own a year ago(temp solution) and just left it on(ugly as hell but it works :lol: ) I will try golwagen again though, thanks for the info

there is an Indian guy in PE that makes/made the carb adaptors try him at 041 4534550 Capri Spares. As far as I know he makes them out of some or other resin or something. I chose to go alluminium and make my own as it just seemed to be the right way to go.(and cheaper)

take your existing spacer and the rubber golf spacer to an engineering shop and ask them to pair the 2 up, NB:just be sure that the inlet hole in the adaptor plate is the shape of the golf spacer and not like my drawing

the pirate carbs are a deffinite no. rather get a used genuine one from a scrap dealer and be absolutely sure it is an 1800. the 1100,1600 and 1800 look identical so dont be taken for a ride.

jetting is not needed but remeber to earth the carb or it wont idle( has a coonector that can just be extended to your battery)
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Come on Lindsey the suspense is killing us where are the pics

willie55
Vehicle: 1992 toyota D/C 2.2

Post by willie55 »

Hi Guys

I have been to Capri Spares. They can manufacture the adapter for R 300.00 and they sell the golf 1800 carb for R 680.00. I have e-mailed Lindsay for details as I need to know that to do with all the vacuum take-offs.
I need this desperately as I filled my 4x4 and travel 190Km on a three quater tank.
I will have no other alternative but to sell the vehcle if I cannot better the fuel consumption.
freeflyd
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 89 2.2 Hilux DC

Post by freeflyd »

So forgive my ignorance, but is this as simple as:

Take old carb off,
Bolt on adaptor plate,
Put new carb on,
Attach fuel and vacuum pipes,

Have better fuel consumption?

I got quoted R2 500 to take off my Weber 38 and replace it with a 32/36... I'd be more than happy to spend that money on something that will actually make a huge difference!
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Willie perhaps we should have a look at your van it seems way to heavy my carb is a little worn out and i get 350-400km on a tank
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
lindsay
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by lindsay »

Guys

Willies consumption does seem extreme but I have seen a few of the hiluxes that are extremely thirsty no matter what you do. sOme others do 8 to the litre without ever touching them. My van was doing 8 plus when it was standard but after the lift and the big tyres i was down to 4 on a good day. The conversion has worked wonders for my setup and on a trip to lesotho just after the change i was getting 10 plus on the open road. I road backup for some quadbike tour and they payed for the fuel so everyone was extremely impressed. I carried 400 litres of fuel, 100 litres of water in jerry cans camping equipment with 4 adults in the van and the trip through lesotho( permanent 4x4 and most of the time in low range) I averaged 6.5.

The power difference is unbelievable and offroading has become an absolute pleasure. most of you have probably wanted to get out of your van on a steep climb and kick the thing because it has a flat spot just where you need that little extra in 2nd, that is gone and climbing hills is a pleasure now. Like I said before, a mate of mine in jbay did the conversion and he has experienced a massive power increase but very little difference in his consumption( he has '92 d/c) he says he is getting the same km per tank but he also says he finds himself riding much faster so its difficult to say what will happen once you have done the conversion. for me it is the best thing I have ever done and will never go standard again. Those 33" coopers dont work well with the standard carb and you probably use a litre everytime you pull away, absolutely no power.

another friend has a 2.4 '89 model with(believe it or not) a million km on and he again swears by the standard carb with all the vaccum pipes in their exact places and he gets 8.5 in town so he wont change at all. the gamble is yours. it cost me 250 for the carb, 40 for the rubber spacer, 12 for a piece of alluminium and 0 for machining so it was worth a try and it worked for me.

just remeber to make sure that your plugs are set at .8, points .4 and very important, when using lrp fuel, your timing must be set at 8 btdc on the dot (vacuum pipe off) and not 15 deg, like some people set them( this info was given to me by Algoa toyota's oldest and wisest mechanic) and this also make a huge difference.

freeflyd, it really is that simple and dirt cheep. those webers are expensive and damn thirsty :lol:

good luck :wink:
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hay Lindsay

I would be really keen on doing the mod as my carb is a little worn out to say the least :oops: Would it be possible to cast a eye on yours some time to see how things are done :?:
lukestrugnell
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: M18

Post by lukestrugnell »

Will it work on a 22r?
If so ill def do it.
anyone done it to a 2.4?
kingdubber
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durbs
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4 4y

Post by kingdubber »

As per the post above, does any one know if it will work on a 22R?
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

You say that it gives you no problems on steep uphills, I would like to know how steep are the inclines and how long were the hills?

Then what about burning of valves in the cylinder head?

What milage has your rig done since you fitted this carb?

Thankyou
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
freeflyd
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by freeflyd »

I have been very keen to do this conversion for the last 2 weeks, but have been struggling to get someone to make the adapter plate.

I just phoned the guy from Capri Spares in PE, and he knew exactly what I was talking about and quoted R350 for the adapter and said it would take 2 days to make...

Problem is that I'm in Pretoria, and would really like to have this project finished this week.

So...

Anyone knows of someone in Pretoria that would be able to make this plate?
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Dawie,

Let him make it and then send it on to you Speed Services. It will arrive overnight, cheapest is Counter - Counter at the PO. Or, try Postnet.

-F_D

cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi guys,

Also keen on trying this. What exactly is that breather pipe on the adapter plate? What's the function and what's the diameter(s)?

Cheers,

Chris
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
freeflyd
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by freeflyd »

I was kinda hoping to bribe Bennie with some beer to help me with this...

Couldn't figure out how to actually send a PM
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Dawie,

On any post by the person to whom you wish to send a PM, simply click on the little "PM" icon at the bottom of that person's message, below his signature. Best to stick to a relevant post, because the thread title & content will be used for the PM, but you can edit that out.

-F_D

Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

Luke & Grant I would also like to know if it will work for a 22R. I f one of you is doing it please inform us if it will work

I just need that extra 2km/ liter then I am very :D
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
SYRON CONVERSIONS

That breather pipe must be for the vacumn hose to the brake booster.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
freeflyd
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by freeflyd »

This is where I wish we could get Lindsey involved again!

I sent him an email a week or so ago to ask all the details, but have not had a reply...
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

It seems he has disapeared :(
SYRON CONVERSIONS

For the 22R engine, the adapter palte will be different, but I think mthat carb will be too small, but why do you not take the plunge and try it yourself. If it does not work, then just put your old carb back on.

simoan
lukestrugnell
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: M18

Post by lukestrugnell »

Very true Simon, I think the problem is no one wants to gamble the bucks if it wont work. I suggest the following to all us 22r owners:

lets all chuck in R100 and someone does it, if it works that oke scores but we only loose R100 each either way. Im willing to gamble R100 on saving a ton of fuel long term.

So whos keen to do it?

My major concern is would it damage the engine in any way? if not then its worth the gamble!
lindsay
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by lindsay »

hi guys

sorry but due to finances i have been a bit restricted with internet access so had to go awol a bit.

I have replied to quite a few guys and sent some pics etc. so i hope you have been successful. the 22r is a motor i know nothing about besides that the manifolds are completely different to the 4y so its a chance you take.

i am looking into the hydrogen conversion now wich is evidently only R750 and guarenteed to give you more than 100% better consumption.

i will post results when i have them

cheers

lindsay
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Luke, I would also be willing to part with a R100 to experiment with.
I am looking into the hydrogen conversion now which is evidently only R750 and guaranteed to give you more than 100% better consumption.
Awaiting the results with bated breath :shock: :shock: :shock:
To God be the glory
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

i will post results when i have them
Apparently, quite explosive unless you are very meticulous with your conversion. Otherwise guaranteed to take your house, your' neighbour's house and anything close by with it if it goes "BOOM!"

-F_D

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

So Eric, If I understand you correctly, it is then a hydrogone conversion!? :twisted: :twisted: :shock: :shock:
To God be the glory
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Post by 3RZ »

Weer vlymskerp vanoggend ne ! :twisted:
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

I will also give R 100 for somebody to try it on a 22R!

Cheers,

Chris
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Cassie

I know an old toppie about Someone else here's age who is still old old school and loves tinkering with carbs.

If you are willing to be the guinea pig we can ask hi to help with the conversion on yours.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

As die risk minimaal is en dit eers hier in Mei maand sal wees sal ek gewillig wees. Ek het net die bakkie nog ernstig nodig vir volgende naweek se Swazi Reg Raid.
To God be the glory
freeflyd
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by freeflyd »

would anyone in PE be willing to get go to the shop as described by Lindsey to get me an adaptor plate and send it Pretoria for me? I have spoken to the guy and they do make the plate for R350 and it takes 3 days.

I'll EFT money...
SYRON CONVERSIONS

The only problems that I can think about that might be a problem are:

Fuel been set too lean, thus you might burn valves.
Driving up steep inclines and down steep declines, the VW carb is not designed for that application. :?:

simoan
lindsay
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by lindsay »

Hi Syron

The vw carb does suprisingly well on inclines and declines and todate have never had a problem, I have seen you at some of the 4x4 challenges and was told about the conversion by Johan Fourie who also takes part. evidently there are some of the guys in the club who have done the conversio(4y) and they have put it to far more extreme use than I have. I have actually found that it performs far better on the steep bits as the original carb always had a flat spot as the second barrel opens. that has gone completely. I will chat to you at the next challenge if you are there and you can have a look at mine( you just not riding it in the challenge) :lol:

Freeflyd

wont the guys at Capri overnight it to you. I could go pick it up for you but will not be going that way in a while
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Lindsley are you refering to Kirkwood, what date is it this year and what is the venue? Costs etc. (Just damn cold in Kirkwood to camp)

simoan
Andries
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Dordrecht
Vehicle: '94 2.2 4Y Hilux S/C, '87 2.2 4Y Hilux D/C

Post by Andries »

We want some photo's of the conversion, please? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Hey Andries why did you put the phone down on me last night, you are a :twisted: farmer (boer)

simoan
Andries
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Andries »

Simon!

I did not put the phone down, it just went dead, happened with my wife earlier this evening as well. :lol:
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Put some diesel in the Lister and charge the phone dude, while I am chatting to you, I sold FUGLY and still have a transfer case as well as three propshafts for sale, tell your mates.

Do you still have that red Golf car, the one that you do not use, you mentioned that your father has a car to sell as well, what is it and how much, what year model and milage.

Come on hurry up waiting waiting typical plank boer.

simoan
lindsay
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by lindsay »

Syron

Kirkwood 2005 you tried to convince me to take my lux on the challenge( it was black then). you did it, i didnt :lol:

got some nice pic of your rear end though :lol:

SYRON CONVERSIONS

Damn who were thoughs mad guys in that Hilux trying to get up that steep hill :roll:

simoan
Andries
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Andries »

Kan iemand my sê as jy die Golf carb. op 'n 4Y sit, moet jy die gemaakte adaptor plate bo-op die 4y se baseplate sit of moet jy die 4Y se baseplate afhaal en net die gemaakte adaptor plate + die Golf rubber baseplate opsit? Rede vir vraag! Die base plate wat jy van Capri Spares in PE kry het nie die breatherpyp aan soos die skets wat Lindsey vroeer opgesit het?de Vraag: as jy die carb opsit sit jy hom op dat die accelarator kabel meganismesna die firehall wys soos bestaande carb of sit jy hom dat dit na voor wys? :wink: :wink:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Andries,

Does this help?
4Y respray 039.jpg
4Y respray 040.jpg

-F_D

Andries
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Andries »

Famly Bulldog!

Dankie vir die foto's. Volgens die foto's neem ek aan jy doen die selfde met die Golf Carb as jy dit op die 4Y sit. Net vir sekerheid, haal jy die keremiek baseplate van diue oorspronklike carb af? :wink:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Andries,

Sorry, wou gese het dit was vir 'n Weber. Maar as ek reg onthou, het ons dit afgehaal. Die Weber is nou ook in tussen afgehaal, ek het nou 'n EFI stelsel in.

-F_D

lindsay
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by lindsay »

Andries

die adaptor word direk aan die manifold vas gemaak en dan die rubber een bo op dit en dan die carb. ek het nie die onderste breather pyp op gesit nie en dit net af ge blok. ek het net die een wat op die donaldson se kant konekt sodat gasse wat van die motor af kom net weer gebrand word en exhaust toe gaan. my petrol kabel het een van die "ball" fittings en het net so aan die golf carb gepas

hoop dit help jou
freeflyd
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by freeflyd »

Lindsey,

Thanks for the pics.

I'm also busy with he conversion. I bought the carb brand spanking new, and bought the normal adaptor plate from Goldvagen for R80. Bennie is busy making a an adapter to fit the VW one on the manifold. It seems pretty simple.

I also bought the "air filter" adaptor for a cone filter from Goldwagen. The problem with that is that the intake points towards the firewall and there is no space to get the pipe from the Donaldson to the intake. I'll probably just go the same route as you have and have an exhaust place make up something for me.

I assume the exhaust place only made the pipe with the bend in it and you made the hole for the breather pipe and top bolt yourself?
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Dawie, with regard to the air filter housing.

Why not ask bennie to machine an adapter plate for the top of the carb that effectively turns the golf air filter adapter 90 or 180 degrees?

It would mean using a 5/10mm aluminium plate and having bolt holes for the carb and new ones for the adapter at 90 degrees.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Scooter

I pretty much decided to do what you said. I will have a little adapter made that can bolt onto the carb and then I can rotate the air filter fitting to the best position and then drill 3 new holes and tap them to fit the 3 bolts it requites.

Lindsay

I see you made the adapter plate has an extra vacuum pick up. Why is that? The carb that Dawie bought has a more that one vacuum pick up some of them is blanked of with covers that can be removed if needed.
lindsay
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by lindsay »

Ben

when I made the plate I had no idea wich route to go or what was going to happen so i just made a simple plate wich resembled the toyota plate. The breather on the bottom is just a secondry outlet for gas that builds up under the tappet cover so I decided to go for the top breather instead( i turned up a special little fitting that fitted in to the breather and used it at the top planning to make another :lol: wich has never happened). the vacuum pipe is on the manifold so im not too concerned about that. the plan was to make it all look better if it worked but it works so well I dont want to fiddle :lol: when I have some time i will re-machine everything and make a new inlet and get it looking a bit more original, i will also use the bottom breather as it was designed like that so there must be a reason for it.

Its interesting to see that golwagen and so many others are making adaptors( it must be working :lol: ) glad to know that us east cape guys actually discovered something that works quite well :wink:

Freeflyd

took some exhaust pipe cut at 45 degr.welded together and then flared the ends. this was all done the night before leaving for Lesotho so it was drill here weld there and make a plan and hoped like hell that it would last the trip, its been over a year now and still going great so like I said, it works so I aint fiddling :lol: those pix were taken when I got back from lesotho, since then i have at least tightened up all the screws to stop the sweating :lol:
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: SFA Hilux 2.2 BFi

Post by Big D »

Freeflyd. Where did you buy the carb from. Orig VW?

Bennie. Sal jy ons laat weet as julle klaar is met die conversion, en as dit wel werk, dalk n paar plate maak en verkoop vir ons ouens met twee linkerhande? :)

Sit met n Weber, en is hierdie ding dors.

Dankie
'94 lux, 3rz, Dual Tcases, 4.7, Lifted, Locked, 33"
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”