Hi & 22R EFI (Again)

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
charliedave
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 95 HILUX SFA 2.4 4X4

Hi & 22R EFI (Again)

Post by charliedave »

Hi Everyone, :wave:

New to the forum. (First Post)
I have just bought a 1995 Hilux SFA 2.4 (22R) (off of an ad placed on this forum).
I am very excited about the vehicle and very happy with it (Drove her up from Cape Town to Joburg and she went very well indeed!).
Also looking forward to reading lots of advice from other owners and hopefully dispensing some at some point as well??

The first question I would like to post however is the question of the 22R EFI conversion.
I know there are a number of posts on the subject already, and I have read most of them, I think.
This conversion is definitely something that I would like to do in the not to distant future.

So I was wondering, more specifically:
1. Where one would acquire the parts? (Are there local importers of the EFI manifold?).
(I know someone mentioned US and Aussie imports but how does one go about that? What are the contacts?)
2. What pros and cons have people who have done the conversion found?
3. Would a completely new engine not be a better answer? Such as the 2.7i or the 2.4 VVTi (2AZ-FE) out of a RAV4? (as I know you can get both these engines from the local importers!)

Any advise?

Thanks in advance. :thumbup:
Last edited by charliedave on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
1995 Hilux 4x4 DC 2.4 (22R) (slow & adventurous)
2012 Birkin 7 (fast & furious)
CraigC
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: White River
Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Hilux 2700i 4X4 D/C

Re: Hi & 22R EFI (Again)

Post by CraigC »

Howzit David, welcome to the forum. I am sure you will get all the advise and help you can ask for. I myself will be asking those same questions about the 4y EFI conversion, finding these parts are not that easy. Good luck and enjoy your bakkie!

NB! Congratulation on your purchase as well, good choice!
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

Hi David, and welcome to the forum... sure you are going to enjoy your vehicle....But always have to laugh at you guys.... conversions, conversions, conversions... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: and here I am just happy with my 2.4 22r just as it is... what can I say... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi David,

The EFi conversion is definitely worth it, problem is to get the manifold. AFAIK the 22RE was only sold in the USA in the 80's, very scarce. I bought mine on Ebay, but they are very scarce there now as well.

Good luck,

C
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Just completed my EFI on my LTD and I must say it was worth it. Got mine from someone that converted to Lexus; fortunately he was willing to sell the EFi seperately :thumbup:

No matter what some okes tell you..fit an ICV. Took care of the cold start/idling problems I experienced, and if you can , get an optical pickup dizzy.

Conversion is dead easy to do once you have all the parts.
charliedave
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by charliedave »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far. (hope to get a few more) :beg:
Would particularly like to see if anyone has any thoughts on the RAV4 2.4L engine???
GI Jane wrote:Hi David, and welcome to the forum... sure you are going to enjoy your vehicle....But always have to laugh at you guys.... conversions, conversions, conversions... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: and here I am just happy with my 2.4 22r just as it is... what can I say... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
GI Jane . . . I totally agree with you . . . .I am also happy with her stock standard!!! Just a bit scared about what will eventually happen to my pocket as petrol prices rise and rise, thats all.
(I promise it is not about going faster!)

Thanks again.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

charliedave wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far. (hope to get a few more) :beg:
Would particularly like to see if anyone has any thoughts on the RAV4 2.4L engine???
Hi David,

Excuse my ignorance but the RAV4 only came out with a 2.0L engine with VVTi fitted. THe Diesel engine is the same engine that was used in the Toyota Avensis!!

VVT-I on a 2.0L motor for your SFA is not in my opinin going to worthwhile. The VVTi engines like to be revved and the gearing your SFA will be incorrect to match the engine charateristics. Rather stay with the 22R motor and do the fuel injection conversion. Also bear in Mind that the torque figure of the rav is not much higher than the 22R engine in standard form.

Other things to consider is cooling issues which can result from the transversely mounted engine with electrical fans vs the std in line 4 Setup with viscous fan.
Johan Marais
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

Spend a little time searching the forum, someone posted a link to a website where they sell complete EFI setups for around R7k. I know that you can get all the parts on eBay for a lot less if you look around a bit but you might not find them all in one place and have to buy from several sellers.

Here is the link
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
charliedave
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by charliedave »

Hi Johan,

I agree, a 2.0L engine is definitely not going to be strong enough.
However, as far as I can tell, the engine I am referring to is the 2.4 litre 2AZ-FE engine which is a 4 cylinder in-line 16 valve double overhead cam design with VVT-i
and as far as I can tell it is a petrol engine that was apparently fitted to RAV4's between 2004 & 2008 (though perhaps not in South Africa)???? (info from wikipedia - not the most reliable source - I know).

However, this engine is still available in South Africa through Japan Auto Trading in Benoni / Boksburg???

Thanks for the links to the R7k EFi setup .... Very very tempting :think: :thumbup:

Thanks for the comments.
Barrie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Zeerust
Vehicle: 94 Hilux 1UZ-FE Raider, auto

Post by Barrie »

Hi David and Nic,
The link has indeed a nice setup.
I sourced a simular, but used setup from a guy in USA (from a link I got from a forum member), for $100(With the exchange rate and commision at that time R1050). He even included the original distributor. The setup was in very good shape. (If you pm me, I wil gladly give you the guy's name. He is on facebook.)
I landed the parts for more or less R2800 in SA (Postage ($100)and import tax(R700) included).
I converted the distributor to a optical pickup dizzy. R550
The Dictator Management and Ignitor with wiring job, cost me +- R3000.
Fuel Pump and hp fuel filter R1000
Wiring, pipes, brackets and clamps also to be added.
It is certainly a valid option to consider. imo
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

The R7k manifolds is just the manifold. The injectors, fuel pressure regulator and in some cases not the throttle body included.

If you import also include the Efi distributer. Keep in mind sometimes when u import things can go wrong like a injector faulty, or even a fuel pressure regulator. Make sure there is almost 3 different 2.4 22RE setups. The early 80 to about 91', then you get the 92 to 94 and then from there the 95 onwards manifolds that had the option of the turbo with it.

Difference between the the lot is the throttle body mentioned in the 1st lot face downward, here you have to get the top waterhose for radiator with, the other 2 has the throttle body inline with the manifold, on these your injectors are diff to the earlier models with oval plugs, make sure with these models you get the injector plugs with.

:thumbup:

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”