Giving Big B...lls some attention

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Giving Big B...lls some attention

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

:yahoo: At long last I have managed to scrape together some extra cash and I have purchased a set of new OME front and rear springs for my little Hilux, for many years since I threw out the broken Black Diamond springs and I had fitted normal std spring packs into my Hilux I have seriously been scared of side angles, not forgetting putting the bakkie first on the left side and then at a 4x4 challenge in Molteno two years back I put the bakkie over onto the right side.

I am not embarressed to say that I am scared of side angles, but hopfully now things will be better, I have also fitted a 2nd hand right tie rod end (ball joint) and another 2nd hand straight tie rod bar.

The truck is going into the auto electrical guys tomorrow for them to have a look at the headlights, they seem to be dim or maybe my eye sight is the problem, I did fit new connection plugs to the rear of the head lights a few months back, the light connection behind the battery is normally the first one to give problems.

Then it will go into the wheel alignment guys to have the wheel alignment checked and adjusted.

Once the alignment is sorted out, I will then remove these Bridgestone 33" x 12.5 x 15" mud terraine tyres and 8J rims and then fit the brand new set of five Mickey Thompson Baja Claws also 33" x 12.5 x 15" also fitted to brand new Pro White 8 J steel rims.

I still want to re-mount the spare wheel on a bracket that swings out from the tail gate, the place where it is fitted now is too high and a real bugger to get to if it is needed to use the spare.

Anyway as I go along I will get my mate Andy to post some pic's.

:yahoo:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Re: Giving Big B...lls some attention

Post by Froll »

Sounds good, waiting for some pics. :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

IMG_4020.jpg
IMG_4021.jpg
IMG_4025.jpg
IMG_4026.jpg
IMG_4027.jpg
IMG_4028.jpg
IMG_4029.jpg
IMG_4030.jpg
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

So what does the ride feel like now! :D:

I see you've still got those damn revolver shackles at the back! :eh: I still think you should replace them with standard ones. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
SYRON CONVERSIONS

I was unsure or I am unsure what to do with them, they originally cost me about R4000.00 when I purchased them from Austrailia, the reason is because the mounting bracket that I had to weld onto the chassis is different from the std bracket that the Hilux comes out with.

Or is it because you know that you cannot keep up with me on a 4x4 rough trail and you want them for your truck instead?
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

How do those revolver shackles work?
Does it have big advantage over the STD or extended shackle?
What the disadvantage of having them...

Reason for the questions, I have been looking at getting som for MOFASA...
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

They can be 'locked up' in the shorter configuration for on road driving and 'released' off road, allowing for longer extension of the shackle if required.

Depending on how well they are manufactured or on how much wear they have, the extra joints may allow excessive side-way flex which results in increased instability.

I'm not a fan of these units ... I think that ordinary extended shackles would be better, but still prefer standard length.

SYRON CONVERSIONS

So I have now fitted the new set of Mickey Thompson Baja Claws the sizes is as follows 33" x 1350 x 15" they have given the bakkie a little more lift as well, yesterday while driving down the road, I saw this cardboard box in the road, well instead of swerving out of its way, I just drove straight over it and the bakkie did not even touch it and the box did not change shape.

The next thing now is to sort out a rear swing out or down spare wheel carrier, I am getting too old to have to lift the spare wheel off or back on from on top of the roll bar and it makes the bakkie top heavy as well

IMG_4374.jpg
IMG_4375.jpg
IMG_4377.jpg

simoan
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Awesome tyres! :thumbup: :thumbup:

(Hmmmm :think: ..... I wonder how small that cardboard box was! :twisted: )

:D:

SYRON CONVERSIONS

I will also be removing ALL the Bridgestone advertising now, my intentions are to re-spray the bakkie the same colors as my Toyota Forklifts, but then I will frown when I scratch it, or roll it over onto the sides, I now want to advertise my forklift hire business on it instead.

Concerning the box that I drove over, it was actually a Lion match box.

Have you still got honey or have you given it all to your wife to eat to make her sweet?

simoan
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm still waiting for the last ones you promised me! :D: I told you, honey doesn't last long in this house .... and Sheridene is not the culprit! :lol:

SYRON CONVERSIONS

What are you giving it to the dogs, I am sure that they will eat anything, even Hilux tyres or are you giving it to your daughters pet, I will have 2nd thoughts about where I go in your house after last time...................

simoan
AM Racing
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

If Bridgestone doesn't pay for the space take it off. As for the colour....

Well all the great Hilux's are white :twisted:
ImageImageImage

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”