Alternative Power steering box

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: '90 Hilux

Alternative Power steering box

Post by Willied »

Hey guys, I am looking to add power steering to my '90 model SFA and the power steering box is the one remaining part I need. Seems they have gained a bit in pricing since the posts on the forum.. Since the R 1500.00 it has gone to R 8500.00 on some of the auction sites. This is just crazy!

Is there an alternative power steering box to use in the place of the original? Looking on Toyodiy.com the box of the SFA and the KZ has the same part Number (44107), would it work as a replacement?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Alternative Power steering box

Post by Mud Dog »

No, the KZ is IFS. The Pitman tracks left to right / right to left, not front to back like the SFA (Could be that USA / European models were different to ours for corresponding years). You could however use the IFS box if you did the cross-over steering conversion, either high or low steer, but hi-steer would ber better in that the tie-rod if lifted out of harm's way. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

If I were you Willie I would look at cross-over steering right away. The cost of the original SFA powersteering boxes is totally crazy. I guess this is because they're becoming pretty scarce. The other problem is the 2nd hand ones are often worn and require overhauling, which in itself is flipping expensive. For that 8.5K you would spend on the SFA ps box, you could probably do the whole cross-over steering conversion(parts and labour). The co-steering uses the IFS steering box, which is a hang of alot cheaper and available... R 2000 to 2500 K for a very good condition one. There are examples of SFA cross-over steering on the forum... just do a search!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I believe BlumTRD could help with some of the parts needed.
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: '90 Hilux

Post by Willied »

Hey guys, sad to hear it is not as easy then.. Question had to be asked. I looked at the conversion a while back and most of the guys are just to far from me to do it. I would have to go drop the vehicle off over 500km away and it is just not feasible.

Got a good deal on a second hand unit that I bought this morning so for now the conversion is out, but if I had to look at it I would talk to Ronald at http://www.4x4traction.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I have seen some of his work and the quality is superb.

Still strange that the part numbers are similar but the parts differ, am I missing something, some sub number not listed on the site maybe.

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”