Biggest Tyres Without Mods

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Biggest Tyres Without Mods

Post by Reinart21 »

Okay, maybe not without Mods,

Have done:
Full OME Suspension
50 MM Body Lift

Going for a set of new Rims and Wheels.
Can I fit 33"s and just massage the body where they rub(good excuse to get fender flares :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: )

What fits on the SFA brake calipers without interfering, even when going the KZTE caliper with cruiser discs?

Wheel: 15x8.0|6x139|-19 15"
Tire: BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2 108Q RWL LRC GO This tire can be 33x12.5x15 or 33x10.5x15, less chance to rub on the 10.5?

Not exactly confident to move tha axle myself, and Allan is pretty much a road trip from us. :surrender: :surrender:

Should I just be happy with 32", want to go to walvisbay and take on the sand dunes :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Biggest Tyres Without Mods

Post by Mud Dog »

The OME should have given you close to 100mm improvement in the ride height, but remember that is negated with articulation. The 50mm body lift on the other hand will help quite a bit to accommodate 33" tyres, and for the best part you should be OK. Depending on the rim offset and the tyre width you might find it still rubbing against the foot-well panel while articulation occurs together with a turn. A little 'creative panel beating should be able to solve that issue, but I would still do the axle shift. You will also have to re-adjust the steering stops so that the bigger tyres don't foul against the leaf packs. In this regard the narrower tyre profile will allow for just that little extra turning arc, as well as being less likely to foul against the foot-well. :winkx:

That all being said, personally I would stay with 31" tyres as long as you still have the 22R motor in there, even for the dunes - just deflate them nicely for the bigger footprint. My opinion is that you will have much less power with the bigger tyre diameter and only a small footprint improvement - one will negate the other and I would prefer to be able to keep the revs up to maintain momentum. Just M2CW.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Something else to consider is open road driving ..... bigger tyres will mean poorer acceleration - can become an issue when you want to overtake a "slow-coach" and you don't have endless windows of opportunity. A more important factor will be the decline in braking power with bigger tyre diameters.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

dont want to up-end your project ....

but for dunes you want HORSES .... ride height is one of the lesser issues for this type of playing.

but they just look SO much better with nice tekkies ....
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Post by JohanW »

Horses coming soon..... viewtopic.php?f=98&t=39214
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

JohanW wrote:Horses coming soon..... viewtopic.php?f=98&t=39214
okkaaayyyyyy ... :D: :clap: :thumbup:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

you should be okay-ish on 32"s... but on 33"s you definitely going to get problems.. :shock2: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Post by Reinart21 »

Funny story.

The 265/75 R16 Which is a popular size for the Vigo shape hilux, the OD is 10MM larger than the 32"x12.5xR15 Wow. And they don't even rub, well with an OME suspension, but still.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

Turn the steering all the way to the right and then fully depress the suspension, if it does not rub then you will be ok.
Image Link Broken
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Knuppel wrote:Turn the steering all the way to the right and then fully depress the suspension, if it does not rub then you will be ok.

I can do that, but I must first buy the wheels and tires... Need to know what will work before I purchase.. :beg:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Stay with the popular sizes if you will be away from big centres...
Not very nice to have to travel to find the correct tyre size when things get difficult...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

You will need to move the front axle forward if you dont want it to rub with any thing bigger than a 31x10.5x15. With an OME suspension it will not rub until you get a full articulation axel twister and then you either rip the knobbelies off your tyre or it eats away at the mud flap and footwell floor panel.
Image Link Broken
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Would it be a better bet to go with 16" Rims if I am worried about the calipers and disks. Or just stick to 15"'s and get a more negative offset?
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

Why would your calipers be a problem with 15" rims Reinhart? It came from the factory 15"s
Image Link Broken
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Knuppel wrote:Why would your calipers be a problem with 15" rims Reinhart? It came from the factory 15"s
Alot of the guys recoomend an Fj75 disc with KZTE calipers and master cylinder etc as a very good upgrade when increasing the size of the engine to something with more horses as in our case the lexus 8 pot.... :surrender: :surrender:
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Was wondering if those upgrades would fit with the 15"rims
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

Yes they will, a 75 cruiser came from the factory with 15"rims
Image Link Broken
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

So I put in a order for 15x8.0|6x139|-10, 15" hope the offset is not too much as the OEM Rims offset is positive 30 and the 0 offset rims were not in stock.

Tires, went with an All Terrain as I am going to be driving a bit more on-road than off.
33/10.50 R15

I'm hoping by taking the narrow version of the 33" it will have a bit less chance of rubbing when turning full lock, with an inch smaller on both sides... :beg: If that makes sense. :laugh2:
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Knuppel wrote:Yes they will, a 75 cruiser came from the factory with 15"rims
:celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate:
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

Positive 30 offset rims are going to bite you in the a$$

My rims I have are 10"wide 15" diameter and have an offset of aprox MINUS 45. They JUST miss the tie rod ends enough to fit a wheel weight without it catching.

If you are going to use 8" wide rim with a positive offset then ..............................

Image Link Broken
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Knuppel wrote:Positive 30 offset rims are going to bite you in the a$$

My rims I have are 10"wide 15" diameter and have an offset of aprox MINUS 45. They JUST miss the tie rod ends enough to fit a wheel weight without it catching.

If you are going to use 8" wide rim with a positive offset then ..............................

Okay, so I may have made a mistake. Took the 8" negative 10 offset :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

I unfortunately don't have time to strip a wheel off today to calculate what the actual distance should be.
Maybe tomorrow i will get a gap and measure, you may just be lucky
Image Link Broken
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Knuppel wrote:I unfortunately don't have time to strip a wheel off today to calculate what the actual distance should be.
Maybe tomorrow i will get a gap and measure, you may just be lucky
I might, or I might just have a brand new set of wheels up for grabs :slap: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Will probably pick them up tomorrow as they where couriered yesterday morning.

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”