TYRES

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Tinman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: perth
Vehicle: 1991 hilux surf with 31" kuhmo kl71's

TYRES

Post by Tinman »

both my rear tyres on my hilux only have about 20% left so im looking for new ones all round
IS it usual for the rears to wear quicker than the fronts? the front has about $50
i like the look and price of the maxxis Bighorn 33'' ($260 aus here)
can any one see a problem putting them on with a 2inch lift i will have to change the mud guards and probably move the under body tool box.
up front there is loads of room to fit them
im looking for tyres about $250 aus each(not sure what that converts too)
and mudterrain.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: TYRES

Post by Mud Dog »

If you still have a 4Y in there, you're going to find it a bit sluggish with the 33's. For me 31's seemed to be more acceptable iro power, and fit without any mods.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hi,

I'm running 33" Kumho's, I had to have to front axle moved forward a bit else the tyre clip on the body work! I have an EFI'd 2.2, so I don't have a serious issue with power, but of course more power would always be nice!

B
Tinman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tinman »

iv done the string test and the tyres should fit with plenty of room
it has a 2 inch lift and spacer blocks
the engine is still the 4y with the webber
a mate of mine has a the same ones on his thats got the 22r (webber) and seems fine.
Rockspider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4, Toyota Rav 4
Club VHF Licence: V69

Post by Rockspider »

By measuring with a string it may appear to fit but under articulation or even driving in your driveway may see some body contact. My rig was lifted by 50mm on the body and about 70mm or so on the suspension. I still cut away a small corner on the body and covered it again with a plate. Problem solved.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

With your steering turned and under articulation is where you will pick up the 'snags' ... (no pun intended :D: ).
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Tinman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tinman »

iv decided to just go for the 31'' by the time these need replacing ill have done the extra lift. :mrgreen:
im going with maxis 754 which are pretty similar pattern to my front ones, and iv got a 6th rim so ill just have them take the 2 rear ones off and make them my spares then put the two new tyres on the new rims and get them to ballance those.

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”