Choosing a locally made Bullbar

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Scotty
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: An SFA is in my future

Choosing a locally made Bullbar

Post by Scotty »

I've trawled through the forum, and thought it best to start a new topic here.

Enjoyed the thread about building your own ARB bumper. We have considered modding our current bumper, but are also considering some of the locally made options. So far I have investigated Nudge-m, Nomad4x4, Snyman4x4, Desert Stormer and Burnco bumpers.

Based on the feedback so far I am looking at the Desert Stormer or Burnco option.

Question1: Any feedback on the bullbars these places make :?: (Bennie - did you modify your Desert Stormer successfully?).

Question2:
How important is it to make sure airflow through the radiator insn't restricted? Mechanics I speak to freak out when I start speaking about bumpers and additonal lights - they think it will choke up the flow of air.

Specifically, check this out:

The Burnco bumper and Desert Stormer look quite similar, but the Desert Stormer seems to have some air-vents at the bottom off the bar.
Note the air-flow vents at the bottom.
Note the air-flow vents at the bottom.
Nice Bullbar - but is there sufficient airflow??
Nice Bullbar - but is there sufficient airflow??
If I look at my Hilux it looks like there are three important places air goes through: 1. The big grill at the top in front of the radiator 2. Behind the licence plate ( guess it doesn't suck much air!!) and 3. There is the long narrow vent just visible above our current long, thin bar.
OME Fitment 1.jpg
So should I be worried? Would both bars, with lights in the A-frame allow enough air to pass through? Most Hilux guys say they don't experience overheating problems with BBars, but surely even a slight increase in temperature will affect fuel consumption and engine-life over time?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated :)
(And if any of you want to know what quotes I've received, feel free to send me a PM)
2009 X-Trail (great car, but not an SFA)
1997 Defender 90 2.8i (great vehicle, but not an SFA)
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Re: Choosing a locally made Bullbar

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Scotty

I a busy having a bumper built similar to the bars you have mentioned at a local engineer. Cost of which will be about R3000 all the mounting will be done in 10mm plate with 10 high tensile bolts that plate will also in clude recovery eyes. I am busy thinking the same thing and I will have vents made in the sloped area at the bottom and will maybe make deflectors behind to chanel the air in to the radiator

CM
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

I tested the effect of the bulbar on my vehicle and it has no influence on engine temperature at all.

I was also told that the bulbar was the causing the problem that I had with the engine running hot. I then experimented to see how much effect the bulbar had to the engine temperature. I first made a little scoop with plate underneath the bulbar to force airflow upwards and thought the radiator. It did not make any difference at all to the engine temperature. At one stage I totally removed the BB and drove without it for 2 weeks. Still no difference. During the hottest weeks in summer last year the engine temperature remained at 92 degrees on my digital temperature meter, which is correct according to the thermostat and the service manuals for the Supra engine. My problem with heat hat to do with the aircon condenser generating too much heat which was then transferred to the radiator behind it. If I did not use the aircon I experienced no problems with overheating

I will modify my bumper after the body lift and the new radiator is fitted.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Scotty

I have the Burnco bumper.I have not experience any heat difference.

Regards
George
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Scotty,

I have never had over-heating problems in either of these vehicles, which would have shown up with slow

rock-crawling.
Hilux 2.7 Front NNP.jpg
4x4 020 (NNP) 640x480.jpg

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Hi Scotty, I also have a NudgeM bull bar, the same as Family Dog's. I have no heating problems at all. I had a look at various of these bumpers and to me the NudgeM is one of the nicest ones round.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Is yours a "fully integrated" bumper? (The air bag thing)
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Eish, I do not know. Was on the bakkie when I bought it. All I know is it has place for the winch as well which leaves three extra big holes in the front that can help with air flowing to the radiator.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

In 1999, only the Raider (we're talking DC, 4x4 here, don't know about any other Raiders) came out with Airbags, so my guess is that Piet's BB is (should be) Airbag compatible. My ARB definitely is.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Scotty
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: An SFA is in my future

Post by Scotty »

Thanks for the feedback. Still working out what to do.

Here is another thought........(question more like!)

Is it better to have a lower bullbar? Pro's - protection from lower-lying solid objects.....like warthogs? Con's worse approach angle.

Or better to have a higher bullbar? Better approach angle, but things like small antelope etc. might pass right under the bar and get to know the sump/ front diff a bit better.

And is it just me or are fewer Hilux guys fitting Bullbars with "ears" :?:
2009 X-Trail (great car, but not an SFA)
1997 Defender 90 2.8i (great vehicle, but not an SFA)
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Hello Scotty :wink: (just given Scotty a piece of cheese) my jack Russel. :)

Concerning the subject concerning ventilation holes for the air flow to the radiator, there are pros and con's to have these holes, let me explain why:

First of all, a person will find it difficult to actually clean the sections of the radiator surrounding these holes, mud and other debri will be forced through these holes and cause worse cooling compared to not having them, thus this is why on my front bumper that
SYRON CONVERSIONS manufactured no additional holes were made in the design.

I do not experience any overheating problems with this front bumper fitted.

When an after market front bumper is fitted to a vehicle, you have to decide what options you want to have, either that the air bags will not function correctly or you would rather have the protection of the front bumper instead, airbags might protect you in an accident however they also have negative aspects to remember.

Now concerning front bumpers on vehicles, the basic bottom line to remember is the actual fitment of the bumper, how, where and what crumple zones have been thought about.

It would be interesting to actually see the results of the various tests that have been carried out that the various brand named after market bumpers actually still allow the air bags to activate, yes I know that it is also a sensor that activates the actual air bag, But

what is important is the factor of Time
that it takes to activate the air bag, from the point of impact to protecting the various parts of the human body from injury.

However some people just fit these aftermarket front bumpers because they look good macho feeling, image to uphold etc

Some people fit them because some front bumpers also have the correct mounting points for the fitment of winches and also the jacking points for various other applications.

If it is a Landrover, it would have to have both front and rear recovery points fitted :wink:

Some people fit a tow ball to the front of their vehicle for the launching of boats and sometimes if they want to move a caravan or trailer into place.

Depending on the application and usage of the vehicle concerned, will determine if the front bumper can be fitted low or heigher, however body lifts also have to be considered when the fitment of these aftermarket bumpers are fitted.

On some vehicle's, these front bumpers will shorten the Life Span of the front suspension of a vehicle, espicially vehicle's that have independant fron suspension fitted, the vehicle's shocks will also take more of a hammering and another item to remember, if you fit other shocks to your vehicle, the garantee period might not be awarded if you have an aftermarket front bumper fitted this is a "Loophole" that the supplier ofr the shocks can use if you experience any failures with the shocks.

If you do fit the bumper heigher up, you could also consider the fitment of an under belly rock slider which will protect your engine sump from damage caused from small animals or rocky terrain.

I do not like the "ears" that sometimes come out on these front bumpers, reason been, they sometimes disturb the rays of your headlights, in other words distortion takes place.

One other thing, do not chrome your front bumper, it will blind you when the sun rays hit it at certain angles.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

My bullbar has the "ears" and it is chrome.

Regarding the "ears" disturbance of the light rays: My bumper has integrated spotlights fitted.
These are adjusted to the outside to compensate for the disturbance, which BTW is only in close proximity to the vehicle, to the sides.
I also fitted larger spotlights with 100W globes(Don't tell the authorities)

Re the chrome that reflects the sun: This is also true. I just went out and I took of my sunglasses. Reflection is not lekka.
Solution: wear sunglasses.

BTW even with the spotlights fitted I have not noted a difference in the temperature. So I guess both are safe.
ImageImage
frik
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: KZTE 3.0 4x4

Post by frik »

Die is my ONCA wat ek laat opsit het met n bietjie modifikasies soos die twee ligte is nie standaard nie.
Attachments
DSCF7693.JPG
Everything keeps going right Toyota

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”