Sifu-Lux's Project Dual Transfer Case

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Sifu-Lux's Project Dual Transfer Case

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Well, with my previous project being complete, I suddenly felt a vacuum as I have been used to grafting in the garage on something to keep the brain ticking over :crazy: , so I decided that I will investigate the installation of a Marlin Crawler ( http://www.marlincrawler.com) additional reduction transfer box on my Hilux.

I have often found 1st gear low range a bit fast when driving over really rocky patches and wished I could go slower.

After reading Simon's (Syron Conversions) article http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/simon/marlin_ ... /index.php I decided to have a look. Marlin Crawler are having a year end special pricing until end December so that interested me immediatley :thumbup:

I did some browsing of the parts I'll need, and after much time piecing it all together in my head, I've figured out how it all works, and what I'll need.

You basically need the MC07 kit, speedo extension, 23 spline rear replacement shaft and output shaft (recommended as stronger to deal with the extra torque) and some other bits which I must still clarify.
mc07-k640.jpg
gearturboinput640.jpg
I aquired a full spare G52 gearbox that I'll use as the donor box for the transfer case.
Last edited by Sifu-Lux on Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Re: Sifu-Lux's Project Marlin Crawler

Post by Sifu-Lux »

With the help of the instructions from the Marlin Crawler site ( http://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/guide ... taller-old ) I decided to strip out the transfer case from my spare gearbox to see what goes on inside.

I have never opened a gearbox before :shock: , so here goes. Hopefully I learn something :lol:

Here is the donor gearbox (G52) and transfer case (RF1A - Gear Driven forward shift with 2.28:1 reduction ratio and 21 spline input shaft - Can be identified by the 7 bolt rear cover )
Toyota G52 standard gearbox and t case.JPG
I then drained the all the oil from the gearbox and transfer case and removed the rear output flange.
Removing rear output flange from gearbox.JPG
Rear output flange removed from gearbox.JPG
I then removed the rear 4WD gear cover
4WD section of t case split.JPG
Then I slid off the speedo gear, oil slinger, bearing etc from the output shaft
Speedo gear & oil slinger & bearing slid off shaft.JPG
Stripped some more parts...
Rear 4WD case gears and parts stripped out.JPG
Last edited by Sifu-Lux on Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

I then split the transfer case from the main gearbox
Splitting transfer box from main forward shift gearbox.JPG
Transfer box and rear 4WD section removed.JPG
Then, I split the transfer case from the rear 4WD section
Splitting transfer box from rear 4WD gearbox.JPG
Here is the transfer box output side view, followed by the input side view
Output side of transfer box to be used as crawler box.JPG
Input side of transfer box to be used as crawler box.JPG
Here is the main output shaft and gear removed. Next job is to remove the gear from this shaft, so it can be re-used with the adaptor.
Transfer box and output shaft with main gear which need to be removed.JPG

I will try to finalise what I need to get from the USA next week, and the prices. Looks about $ 450 for the parts, but I'm sure the shipping will be the killer :wth:
rock solid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Grand Junction
Vehicle: 85 extracab

Post by rock solid »

what transmission does your truck have?
are u going to convert the crawl box to a top shift setup?
if u have any questions about reassembly, let me know, ive assembled over 10 of these.
Bandit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port alfred
Vehicle: 2008 Fortuner V6 4x4

Post by Bandit »

Hey Andrew, looks like your hilux is going to be a machine of note when it's completed one day...
You really need to get a hobby, like opening a hilux workshop!
Enjoy all the same, look forward to reading this article, and thanks for the front diff redo, have just finished mine, really satisfying work.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Hey Philip, my Hilux has the same transmission as the one I'm stripping above. As far as I can tell, it's a G52.

Trans Date Range 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Rev T/Case
G52 1984-86 3.928 2.333 1.451 1.000 0.851 4.743 Gear

Output Spline T/C Shift Notes
21-spline Forward 25.5" long, 80x20mm open-face input bearing

I plan to forward/remote shift the first crawl box, and I'll have to top shift the rear transfer box. Just got to find out what I need to be able to do this.

Is dual stick top shift for the rear box the only option, or can you top shift in the conventional "J" pattern?
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Bandit wrote:Hey Andrew, looks like your hilux is going to be a machine of note when it's completed one day...
You really need to get a hobby, like opening a hilux workshop!
Enjoy all the same, look forward to reading this article, and thanks for the front diff redo, have just finished mine, really satisfying work.
Glad you found it useful :thumbup:
rock solid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by rock solid »

here is a good write up on the forward shift to top shift conversion.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/topshifter/
and u can keep a single shifter with the j pattern in the top shift setup on the rear transfercase.
ive done some searching, and all of the top shift conversion kits are for the crawl box only. to convert the rear t-case to top shift, u will need both shift rods , base plate, low/high range shift fork.

here are some of the kits availible

http://www.marlincrawler.com/hardware-t ... -crawl-box
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-c ... t-aluminum

http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/produ ... 7908e62e05

here is the best deal, and a compleate kit with everything u need
Kit B

http://www.trail-gear.com/top-shift-con ... -kits.html
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Great links, thanks
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilex
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by Toybox »

Andrew,

Do yourself a favour and give Ronald a call tomorrow. I think he has a 23 spline output lying in his workshop (he ordered two 21 spline shafts and got a 23 spline by mistake). He's also just done a top shift conversion to his crawler box. I recall him mentioning something about not being happy with the shift rails that he got sent and ended up modifying the old ones.
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

I'll be watching this topic closely :thumbup: :twisted:
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Great to see you embarking on another Technical Lux Project Andrew :thumbup: :thumbup:

Great text and peekchaz :clap:

Looking forward to the next chapter :mrgreen:
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Re: Sifu-Lux's Project Dual Transfer Case

Post by Sifu-Lux »

As you can see, the title of this project changed a bit. After battling with Marlin Crawler in the USA to just get simple answers, I got fed up with their customer service and contacted Ronald (Dieseldog) as per Jonathan's (Toybox) advice.

He brings in the Trail Gear (http://www.trail-gear.com) range. I have dealt with Trail Gear on the internet, and they actually get back to you when you make an enquiry!! They have everything I need, especially the forward shift to top shift conversion kit for the rear transfer case which Marlin Crawler no longer sells.

I had a long conversation with Ronald this morning, and he was really helpful. Lets see where we go from here !
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

The Trail Gear goodies look really good! Even the rock sliders look good... I'm beginning to get seriously jealous... one of my 4x4 buddies, Craig, has a 'crawler gears' type mod on his lux, Allan did it... using 2 toyota transfer cases... his lux is an awesome offroad monster... running 35" tyres and an EFi'd 4Y... only problem with his mod is the ratio/gearing is not selectable, but Craig does fine with it just like that!

mr b
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

OK, so I made up my mind, quickly :shock:

I have ordered the following from Ronald:

QTY: PART NO: DESCRIPTION:
1........... 100006-1-K..........Trail-Creeper Dual Case Kit, 23-Spline
1........... 105001-1-K..........Trail-Creeper 4.70 T-Case Gears, 23-Spline
1........... 100122-1-K..........Top Shift Conversion Kit C
1........... 120005-1-K..........T-Case Crossmember, 4cyl, 1984-1995
1........... 182501................Rubber Shift Knob, 2.28
4........... 100069-1.............Transfer Case Shift Detent Spring, Heavy Duty
1........... 107510-1-K..........Twin Stick Shift Boot Kit
dualadapter-600.jpg
470gear-600.jpg
100122-1-k-225.jpg
100122-1-k-225.jpg (20.85 KiB) Viewed 10415 times
crossmember-600.jpg
2008-1618-600.jpg
Now I just have to wait for the parts... :cry:
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

RustyRod wrote:The Trail Gear goodies look really good! Even the rock sliders look good... I'm beginning to get seriously jealous... one of my 4x4 buddies, Craig, has a 'crawler gears' type mod on his lux, Allan did it... using 2 toyota transfer cases... his lux is an awesome offroad monster... running 35" tyres and an EFi'd 4Y... only problem with his mod is the ratio/gearing is not selectable, but Craig does fine with it just like that!

mr b
Bretton, I have to do something, you have EFi :lol: :lol:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Andrew, just enlighten me here a little .... with that setup, would you still have an H4 option, or would it be just L4 and Crawl-4?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Andy, to borrow another pic from another forum,
crawler3.jpg
crawler3.jpg (23.27 KiB) Viewed 10408 times
Setup is:

Gearbox - 2.28:1 Front Crawl box - 4.7 rear transfer box and 4WD section.

Front Crawl box has:
Gear selector Hi/Lo for selecting 1:1 or 2.28:1 ratio
Rear Transfer box has:
Gear selector Hi/Lo for selecting 1:1 or 4.7:1 ratio
Gear selector for selecting 2WD/4WD

A total of 3 gear sticks + your normal gearbox stick for 5 speed.

You do not loose your high range and can run like this:

Front Crawl box 1:1 then Rear Transfer box 1:1 = normal 5 speed high range.
Front Crawl box 2.28:1 then Rear Transfer box 1:1 = 5 speed low range range.
Front Crawl box 1:1 then Rear Transfer box 4.7:1 = 5 speed extra low range.
Front Crawl box 2.28:1 then Rear Transfer box 4.7:1 = 5 speed super duper low range.

Total of 20 forward gears, and 4 reverse combinations :shock:

My setup will look similar to this pic, except that my front crawl box will remain a forward shift box (the front box here is top shifted).

Rear box will look like the pic.
2008-2172-b-500.jpg
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks .... enlightened! :D: So then you'll only need to cut one more hole in the tunnel for the rear sticks? :think:
The lower gearing could also come in handy with surfaces that would cause you to loose traction because of too much torque :think: . Pity the existing X-fer box did'nt have another low gearing option. :D

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Yip, only one hole to cut. It will end up looking like Simon's Marlin Crawler mod below,
243217686b44901ef33f8e3ed6eec6a7706b5f0959885577c0c43b6c.jpg
243217686b44901ef33f8e3ed6eec6a7706b5f0959885577c0c43b6c.jpg (97.25 KiB) Viewed 10395 times
You can just put 4.7:1 gears in the existing transfer box, which is much cheaper, but then you have normal H4, or very slow L4, no intermediate ratios. 3rd and 4th gear aren't as strong as 1st and 2nd, and you'll end up riding in 4th L4 in some cases which could potentially lead to gear damage.
rock solid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by rock solid »

you are gonna love the dual ultamints, thats what i have in my 1985 toyota with 4.37 axle gears
what axle gears do u have, and what size tires?
u might want to also upgrade your front axle shafts (birfs) all of the added torque will bust them real qiuck.
i broke 9 birfs on 33's in one year
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

I'm running 4.88:1 axles with 33"'s
rock solid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by rock solid »

if u dont get the front tires in a bind, u shouldnt have too many problems.
im running the same setup with 37' wrangler mtr's on stock birfs. only broke 1 so far in my 1990 4runner
my 1985 hilux has longfield super axles, 30 spline chromoly birfs. with chromoly hub gears.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

chromoly
Do you mean 'Chrome alloy'? :D

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Sifu-Lux wrote:Yip, only one hole to cut. It will end up looking like Simon's Marlin Crawler mod below,
243217686b44901ef33f8e3ed6eec6a7706b5f0959885577c0c43b6c.jpg
You can just put 4.7:1 gears in the existing transfer box, which is much cheaper, but then you have normal H4, or very slow L4, no intermediate ratios. 3rd and 4th gear aren't as strong as 1st and 2nd, and you'll end up riding in 4th L4 in some cases which could potentially lead to gear damage.
Well that shelves the centre console project I had in mind :D: (for now anyway). Andrew, I'm sure you will but keep a tally of the costs involved. :wink:

Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

For the moment I think I will stay with electricity it is not complicated :twisted:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Mud Dog wrote:
chromoly
Do you mean 'Chrome alloy'? :D
Andy, it is chromoly, this was the material to have your BMX frame made from when I was a laaitjie.

41xx steel is a family of high-strength low-alloy steels (HSLA), as specified by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Alloying elements include chromium and molybdenum, and as a result these materials are often referred to as chromoly steel or CRMO. They have an excellent strength to weight ratio, are easily welded and are considerably stronger and harder than standard 1020 steel.

While these grades of steel do contain chromium, it is not in great enough quantities to provide the corrosion resistance found in stainless steel.

Examples of applications for 4130 include structural tubing, bicycle frames, AK-47 receivers, clutch and flywheel components, and roll cages. They are also used in aircraft and therefore 41xx grade structural tubing is sometimes referred to as "aircraft tubing".
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

We live and learn! :D: Thanks Andrew :wink:

Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Since I got a nice pair of snap ring pliers from SWAMBO for Christmas, I decided to work off the Christmas over-indulgence this evening and carry on stripping the donor transfer case. I ended up buying a pair of 90 deg jaw ones as well since they were "only" R 145 ea :shock:
Jonnesway flat jaw snap ring pliers.JPG
Here is the transfer case stripped of all the internal gears etc.
Transfer case stripped with all gears removed.JPG
With all the parts stripped, I needed to get the get the low speed gear off the main shaft as it will be re-used with the adaptor kit. To remove the gear, you first need to remove the 6208N bearing from the shaft.

I supported the bearing on two 8mm steel plates on top of my wood vice and then tapped out the main shaft with a nylon hammer. It came out quite easily, so a press was not needed.
Removing the 6208N main shaft bearing from output shaft.JPG
6208N main shaft bearing removed from shaft after light tapping.JPG
I then re-assembled all the parts I will not need again for this project. They will be my spares :wink:
Parts that will not be needed for the dual case conversion.JPG
Shown below are all the parts that will be re-used once my Trail Gear adaptor kit arrives. I am going to bead blast the transfer case housing to clean it up when I am back at work.
Donor parts that will be needed to make up the front crawler box.JPG
I am also playing with the idea of re-using the 4WD indicator switch on the front case, but tapping the blank hole on the opposite side and installing it there so it can be used as an indicator switch for the crawl box to show if it's in low range. I will have to grind a cam slot into the high/low shift rod to activate the switch. Will have to see how hard the material is.
Last edited by Sifu-Lux on Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

On Xmas day!! :o: .... Now that's dedication!!! :D:

Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

And I thought I was the only guy who lost his marbles and will do things like that on x-mas day :lol: :thumbup:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Andrew :!: :?: :?: :!: You still married :?: Or are you sleeping in the garage :?:

Looking good man :!:
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

After I thought I would need to buy a speedo cable extension due to the transfer case moving backwards, I was advised that it is not necessary, and that the speedo cable can be re-routed to allow extra slack.

I re-routed the cable this afternoon, and did gain a bit more length. Whether this will be enough, I'll have to see.
Speedo cable re-routed for more slack.JPG
I also removed the front output flange from my spare 4WD transfer case which I will re-use on the rear output as I will probably go the route of removing the center bearing altogether and install a lengthened front propshaft in reverse with the double cardan joint.

Here you can see the difference between the front and rear transfer case output flanges. Different diameters and bolt hole PCD's.
Rear and front transfer case output flanges.JPG
I also ordered two new flange nuts and two new transfer case drain plugs from Toyota today.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Is there a difference in the diameter of the front and rear output shafts, or is the rear just stepped down at the splines? With a carrier bearing on the rear prop there would obviously be less stress on the rear output shaft .... smaller bearing would suffice. If it is smaller then you would have to machine the casing out to accept a bigger bearing. :think:

Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Andy, I am trying to understand your question, but here's a pic of what I plan to do. Same as Simoan Morris, and pic courtesy of his Marlin Crawler conversion.
36975164164be4227b6c42df12d465b78eca7651255e18125fd9f4e7.jpg
36975164164be4227b6c42df12d465b78eca7651255e18125fd9f4e7.jpg (100.11 KiB) Viewed 9220 times
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I do understand all that Andrew, but the two flanges you show above have different internal diameters (possibly a different no of splines as well) ..... my question was therefore, are the out-put shafts the same diameter for the front as for the back, or is the shaft for the smaller i/d flange stepped down at the splines? :D:

Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Mud Dog wrote:I do understand all that Andrew, but the two flanges you show above have different internal diameters (possibly a different no of splines as well) ..... my question was therefore, are the out-put shafts the same diameter for the front as for the back, or is the shaft for the smaller i/d flange stepped down at the splines? :D:
Ah ha! Well clarified dear sir :mrgreen: The flanges are interchangeable. The internal splines are the same. Only the flanges mating face diameters and hole PCD's are different, because a UJ is used at the back and a cardan joint (CV) at the front in standard setup.

Oh, I just looked at the pic again and I see your confusion :? The flange on the left still has the washer in place from under the nut, making the ID look smaller :oops:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks for "un-confusing" me ... :D: :wink:

Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

OK, so back at work this week :cry: This does have some advantages though :twisted: I prepared the donor parts and taped off the areas I want to keep protected when I get them bead blasted tomorrow.
Transfer crawler case and parts ready for bead blasting.JPG
I ordered new transfer case output flange nuts and new oil drain plugs from Toyota. The nuts and plugs arrived yesterday, but the parts guy ordered me filler plugs for the t/case instead of drain plugs with the magnet in :x

So, stuff it, I decided to make my own, as the filler plugs are a lot cheaper than the mag drain plugs. I got some Neodymium rare earth magnets today (10mm OD x 5mm thick). The filler plugs have a 10mm ID recess, which I drilled out to 10.5mm. Roughed up the inside, sanded the magnet surface and glued them in with metal epoxy. All done in 15 minutes ! :D:

These magnets are flippin strong for their size. I could pick up my BIG shifting spanner with one :shock: . Should suck all the metal out the oil enol.
Converting transfer case filler plug to mag drain plug 1.JPG
Converting transfer case filler plug to mag drain plug 1.JPG (21.28 KiB) Viewed 9181 times
Converting transfer case filler plug to mag drain plug 2.JPG

The Trail Gear parts from Ronald were shipped from the USA just before Christmas, so hopefully will be here in the next 2 weeks.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Bead blasted all the donor parts today. They look like new now :thumbup:
Transfer crawler case and parts bead blasted clean.JPG
Transfer crawler case and parts bead blasted clean.JPG (23.62 KiB) Viewed 9166 times
missouriman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Rapid city south dakota
Vehicle: 85 toyota

Post by missouriman »

just a bit of input.
for the twin shift, don't forget to leave out the inter lock pin.

as for those heavy duty springs, try one before you put the cases in the truck!!
My wife could not shift hers at all, even with both hands.
I could pick up the transfercase by the shifter and it would not shift.

I ended up taking the stock springs and streching them about 1/4 inch.

for your floor hole make a saddle out of a piece of tin. to cover a much larger hole then the twin shift boot.
mount the twin shift boot to your saddle the the saddle to the floor.

the hole for the twin shift. only cutting that hole in the floor has to be perfect.
or you will hit the floor pan with the shifters as the drive train moves around.

also chain down your motor mounts.
I used 3 chain links and just bolted it to the steel on each side of the rubber mount.

I made a new front drive shaft out of receiver hitch square tube.
had the rear made with the thickest tube they had.

if you have any questions I run two of these trucks.

oh yeh, here is the write up for part of it.
all of this was done in a gravel drive way. :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=6705
missouriman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by missouriman »

oh, one more thing.
I stuck with the 21 spline because there are so many out there that in case of failure I can just grab anouther case and stick it in there.

save your old drive shafts just in case of failure, that way you can toss in a single case and still get it home.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Cool, thanks for the tips. If I get the parts this month I'll probably start in February when I'm back from Germany. Can't wait :)
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

OK, so on with the show. My parts finally arrived end January just before I had to go to Germany, so I spent the whole time wishing I was back :roll:

I must say, a very comprehensive kit of parts, nuts, bolts, seals and gaskets etc. Here are some pics of what I got
TG Dual adaptor kit.JPG
All the nuts, bolts, seals etc, and top shift conversion kit
TG top shift conv and adaptor parts.JPG
Here's the adaptor, very well made and machined
TG Dual adaptor.JPG
and the 4.7:1 gear set for the rear transfer box
TG 4_7 to 1 gear set.JPG
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Also got a whole selection of gearknobs for the twin stick conversion kit and front crawl box high low selector. This is how they come, made from good quality rubber
TG 471 gearknob.JPG
TG 471 gearknob.JPG (13.51 KiB) Viewed 9172 times
But, these look a bit boring and you can't really see the lettering so easily, especially when you have 4 gear sticks in the vehicle :lol:

So, I painted the inlay to make it stand out better
TG gearknobs painted inlay.JPG
TG gearknobs painted inlay.JPG (24.01 KiB) Viewed 9172 times
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Hey Andrew, glad you've finally got your mitts on the goodies, was wondering how your project was going ;-)

Full steam ahead nou :?:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup: I was wondering when you were going to pick up on this thread again! Glad to see your parts arrived .... will be watching out for the progress reports! :D:

Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Last night I built the crawl box up into the adaptor. I won't go into all the details of assembly here, but Trail Gear's web site had excellent instructions and video clips if you are interested.

First I had to weld a piece of key stock onto the existing high low shift rod so the high low gear stick cannot slip out.
keystock welded onto hi lo shift fork.JPG
keystock welded onto hi lo shift fork.JPG (22.12 KiB) Viewed 9172 times
Then I assembled the existing 2.28:1 gearset from the donor transfer case onto the adaptor.
2_28 gear set installed onto adaptor.JPG
Closed up the box and installed the shift rod into the shift fork, all done :thumbup:
crawl box assembled onto adaptor.JPG
TG adaptor mounted to crawl box front side.JPG
TG adaptor mounted to crawl box rear side.JPG
So now I need to make some time to start stripping the Hilux's transfer box and prop shafts. :think: will have to dodge SWAMBO a bit...
LoneRanger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 95 Hilux 2.2 4y double Cab 4x4

Post by LoneRanger »

Hey Andrew
I've seen cars with Articulated Steering - :shock:
and now you going for Articulated Gearing - :crazy:

Are you going to employ a permant gear changer coz you got to keep at least one hand on the steering and I doubt you have 4 arms :lol: :lol:
My Toys - and freedom
Old man emu suspension,snorkel,PowerFlow exhaust and branch,burnco bumpers front and back, burnco aluminium canopy,awning, 31" Bridgestone A/T,dual battery system, long range fuel tank and water tank and rear lockers.
1100cc Honda Blackbird 2002
missouriman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by missouriman »

a little spray paint on the inside of your rear case will show you IF or where to clearance it.
also don't grind to much off the oil valley's on the sides, just a bit will do it.

I used two transfer case mounts to hold them down, also so you are not putting all that force on just four bolts tapped in to the aluminum case.

tail gear makes some really nice transfer case and motor mounts.

I have to ask. how much was shipping??

pretty odd to "talk" to some one on the other side of the world about doing the same thing I did in my drive way here in South Dakota, USA.

the other thing that I will do on my next over haul of the trucks.
I will cut out the center hump from my truck and a slightly larger center hump from a donner truck so I can remove the whole thing for service.
from up under the radio back to where I can reach the rear transfer case drive shaft mount. And maybe over so I can get at the front drive shaft.

ps, before you pull your transfer case use some card board or paper and mark your shift hole that you have now.
then set it over your dual case set up to figure out where to cut the rear hole.
also my twin shifters hit the floor of the truck when the motor flexed around.

so I cut some thick rubber, (inner tube) mounted that to the floor and mounted the twin stick shift boot set up to that.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Thanks for the input, I was going to use some marking blue to check the clearancing area, I guess spraypaint would work too.

I will use two transfer case mounts, my original, and a used donor one from the crawler box original transmission. I bought a Trail Gear replacement dual transfer case cross member as well which takes 2 mounts
TG dual transfer replacement crossmember.JPG
TG dual transfer replacement crossmember.JPG (23.89 KiB) Viewed 9141 times
Not sure about the shipping cost, bought it through a local importer. I would guess about US$ 1000 :shock:
missouriman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by missouriman »

1000 for all of it.. or just for shipping... :wth: :o:
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

No, JUST the shipping !! I did a quick calc now, $1028 parts, ~$800 shipping
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Eina, maar die regte goed kos altyd geld, jy sal nie spyt wees nie :thumbup:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
missouriman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by missouriman »

OUCH.
but I guess that is not to bad for half way around the world.
where do you guys post up pictures of your runs?

ps how do I read what is in the above post?

I am so mono lingual...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

missouriman wrote:OUCH.
but I guess that is not to bad for half way around the world.
where do you guys post up pictures of your runs?

ps how do I read what is in the above post?

I am so mono lingual...
The guys post pics directly in the topic or otherwise they provide a link to something like 'Photobucket'
Eina, maar die regte goed kos altyd geld, jy sal nie spyt wees nie :thumbup:
Translation
"Ouch, but the rightt stuff always costs more. you won' be sorry. :thumbup: "

:wink:

Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

This afternoon I started work on stripping the Hilux. First up was to remove the interior seats and vinyl mats so it will be easy to work when I need to cut the floor pan for the extra gear sticks.
Interior stripped.JPG
With that done, I removed the front and rear prop shafts, then put a jack under the transmission to support it. Next to be removed was the cross member. The original one is quite light compared to the heavy steel plate that will replace it. I will have to find some other things to remove to compensate for the weight gain :shifty:

Next, drained the oil from the transfer case, disconnected the 4WD switch wiring, speedo cable and removed the Low range gear stick.
Prop shafts removed and crossmember.JPG
I then lowered the transmission on the jack as low as I could so I could get access to the two top bolts which hold the transfer case to the transmission.
This is a really tight fit and you only get about one click of movement on the socket ratchet. Luckily all the bolts came loose easily. For the middle two bolts you need a universal joint on your socket to get access to the bolt heads.
Transmission lowered to allow removal of t-case bolts.JPG
With the bolts removed, I tapped the transfer case a few times with a rubber mallet to seperate it from the transmission.
Transfer case split from G52 transmission.JPG
I then lay on my creeper with a piece of wood on my stomach and pulled the transfer case and 4WD section off and onto my stomach and slid out from under the Hilux to see SWAMBO staring at me with that :wth: expression. "You just drove it this morning, so why is it now in pieces :?: "
G52 transmission with transfer case removed.JPG
And finally the transfer case out and ready to have surgery tomorrow... 5 hours well spent :thumbup:
Trnasfer case and 4WD section removed from vehicle.JPG
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Nice going Andrew, keep up the good work on this thread! :D:

Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Vredenburg
Vehicle: '03 Colt 2.8TDI DC 4x4; Wilderness Offroad Camping Trailer

Post by Numbnut »

Very nice thread Andrew! Soon you'l have to start thinking of publishing all your ideas and upgrades!
How does the title "Hilux Upgrades for Dummies" sound for your fisrt book?? :lol:
Everything Works Better When It Is Properly Lubricated...!!!
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Looking good Andrew cant wait to see it all finnished!!!
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”