Disconnecting Anti Roll Bar

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
peetvdw
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Jeep

Disconnecting Anti Roll Bar

Post by peetvdw »

For those of you that are interested,
I have disconnected my anti roll bar on my Hilux. If your front suspension is in good shape there is about 5% more body roll going around corners on tar which means that the steering response isn't as good as it was before I removed it.
There is a big difference off-road, much better suspension flex than before. This is a great help in most situations as your front wheels work independently providing better pull from the front.
I also found that it made a big difference on normal dirt road driving where the front pulls according to traction meaning that if there is different traction on the wheels it will not accelerate in a straight line.
I will not recommend this to novices but to people with skill both off and on-road because you always need to take this into consideration. Come to think of it novices will never use their 4x4 in places that this really makes a difference.
There was no difference driving in a straight line (obviously).

any comments welcome :wave:
Peet van der Walt
http://www.youtube.com/user/MonsterHilux" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Re: Disconnecting Anti Roll Bar

Post by JohanM »

Hi Peet,

Welcome here, hope you enjoy your stay on the Forum! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

One thing that you might not be aware of is that if your Hilux is involved in an accident and the assesor sees that the anti rol bar is disconnected, they will most likely not pay out your claim as the vehicle will be classified as unroadworthy due to the fact that the saftey feature of the anti roll bar not doing its work which could have helped to avoid the accident or lessen the damage. :wth: :wth:
Johan Marais
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Peet,

I am just wondering what would happen in the event of an accident - will Insurance not possibly decline the claim as the car is now 'non-standard'? Just a thought that came to mind...

-F_D

Edit: Hmmm... see Johan also mentioned this.

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

peetvdw
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Jeep

Post by peetvdw »

Sekerlik sal versekering elke moontlike manier kry om nie uit te betaal nie. Ek weet nie wat doen hulle in die geval as jy die disconnect kit op sit nie.

Ek sal maar die verskering kontak en hoor... tot dan geniet ek die disconnected roll-bar. :thumbup:
Peet van der Walt
http://www.youtube.com/user/MonsterHilux" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Hi Peet,

Ek weet van baie mense wat dit doen... Goeie idiee, hou maar daai part agter jou agter seat, net ingeval jy in 'n prang :stars: kom, dan connect jou hom sommer weer :laugh2: net incase insurance jou crap gee
Sent from my iPhone
hatvani
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Dar es Salaam
Vehicle: 2002 Toyota Hilux 2.5TD D4D. 4" lift with 32x11.5x15 tires, A-bar, Hannibal roof rack with Eezy Awn tent..

Post by hatvani »

The bushes on my anti roll links keep popping off very often specially if I do a good amount offroad. Is there something I should do to adjust on my suspension?

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”