Is chipping a 2.7i worthwhile?

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: D-4D Hilux Raider 4x4

Is chipping a 2.7i worthwhile?

Post by Buff »

Hi Gents,

Has anybody on the forum chipped their 2.7i and changed to a free flow pipe and was it worthwhile?

I chatted to two guys about this and got conflicting views (what's new :D: )

Roddy from Power Flow recons I should just do the SS free flow mod and leave the motor as is. Apparently the FF will improve the torque by around 5%.

Deon from Gogh&Chooper recons the dyno charts show a 10% improvement in performance (torque & power) with the chip & pipe.

Questions:
Is the 10% noticable at all?
Is it worth the money you're paying?
Does it improve the fuel consumption (chip)?

Thanks, looking forward to some feedback to help with my decision :thumbup:

Cheers
Brett
Hilux 2.7 Raider D/Cab 4x4
MORNE
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Isuzu E/cab 3.0 D-tec

Re: Is chipping a 2.7i worthwhile?

Post by MORNE »

Brett I chipped mine and I will not spend that money again. Gained 1 kw and 3 nm. Petrol consumption the same maybe a .3 exstra km/l on the long haul.
Listen to Roddy , he knows what his talking about.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

no
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I was also advised to leave White Fang as is. Apparently, these engines are pretty well optomised in standard form.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Buff »

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I'm hearing from everyone I spoke to. I've yet to meet a person that's had a petrol motor chipped and is happy with the result and that includes the Cruiser crowd.
The claimed petrol consumption improvement hardly ever materialises although they claim it's there but you're just riding harder/faster so you don't see it... hmmmmm :problem:

I came from a 6 cylinder Nissan 3l to the 4 cyclinder Hilux 2.7i and I have to be honest and say I miss that Nissan motor. I reacon that 3l nissan motor in an IFS would be a great match :thumbup: Don't get me wrong, the Hilux is outstanding in the dirt and on sand but it's pulling a trailer on the open road that frustrates me a bit. Maybe it's time for 4l ;-)
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Post by 3RZ »

I don't agree, I have played around a lot with the Unichip on these vehicles and a chip, branch and freeflow is the best bang for buck you can get on on the 2.7, BUT it depends on who does the mapping for you. You will not be able to make a huge difference on fuel consumion but it does make the vehicle a lot more driveable.

When I got my Legend I got a consumption of 6.2Km/l consistant, after chipping, branch freeflow and gasflow and all the rest I can easily get 7km/l. I will not recommend doing the head as it is expensive an the gains are not as big as would be expected. Maybe it was just the shop that did the work. I have a second head that may be going to someone else but that is a different story.

My last long trip best was 8.4 Km/l, worst 6km/l, average was about 7.2 to 7.4km/l mostly 120km/h on the GPS.
Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Buff »

My bakkies consumption is not that bad as long as I'm not pulling anything behind it (like a Landrover :evil: ).

I did a trip to Caledon a few weeks ago and specifically tried to see how light I could drive it. Bakkie was empty without canopy driving at 100/110 km/h and it gave me 9.2km/l, so it can be done... if you're not in a hurry :lol:

I'll start with a free flow from Roddy and take it from there.

Thx
Skudwa
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 4x4 '94 2.2 SFA, VW Jetta 5 '07 1.9Tdi DSG, Honda Transalp '08 XLV700

Post by Skudwa »

My father in law drives a 4x2 2.7 '02. He bought it chipped with powerflow system. A year or so back the bakkie 's idleling started to go funny and after taking it to Toyota N1 City they told him the the bakkie has a chip and that is what's stuffing it up. Cost him R800 to remove it and he was sorely dissipionted with the results. I don't know the spesifics but he got worse fuel consumption and when he came to visit up in JHB he complained alot about power loss.

Another friend of mine also chipped his 2.7 and raved about it and he owns his own mechanic bussiness.

My opinion is this - most guys get the same consumption after chipping due to the fact the - Wow check this bakkie go !!!! Some guys drive it more aggresive because it goes faster.

Is Theo still working at Deons place?.... I used to deal with him ... Electrical fundi on chips and he will tell you staight to do it or spend the money on something else... on the other hand Robbie wasn't born yesterday when it comes to toyota's and exhausts. Another guy you can speak to is Hein at Steves in Milnerton or even Cosie Swanepoel in Stikland. These guys are experts in the field.

Good luck !
Skudwa
Skudwa
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 4x4 '94 2.2 SFA, VW Jetta 5 '07 1.9Tdi DSG, Honda Transalp '08 XLV700

Post by Skudwa »

Alternetively - try and get hold of someone with a chipped bakkie and drive it...
Skudwa
yotaman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartenbos Western Cape
Vehicle: '99 2.7i Hilux 4x4 S/C

Post by yotaman »

Buff wrote:Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I'm hearing from everyone I spoke to. I've yet to meet a person that's had a petrol motor chipped and is happy with the result and that includes the Cruiser crowd.
The claimed petrol consumption improvement hardly ever materialises although they claim it's there but you're just riding harder/faster so you don't see it... hmmmmm :problem:

I came from a 6 cylinder Nissan 3l to the 4 cyclinder Hilux 2.7i and I have to be honest and say I miss that Nissan motor. I reacon that 3l nissan motor in an IFS would be a great match :thumbup: Don't get me wrong, the Hilux is outstanding in the dirt and on sand but it's pulling a trailer on the open road that frustrates me a bit. Maybe it's time for 4l ;-)
The2.7i engines are donkeys and lasts forever! On top of this, I reckon the Legend 35 shape remains awesome. I think I'm going to fit a powerflow and then most probably settle to have the engine supercharged! Moving to a 4L, I reckon will cost me a lot more. Grateful if there's anyone on the forum who can share some info/advice on the 2.7i supercharge route.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

When I bought hound Dog, there was a Dastek chip fitted to it. The chip was tuned for max power at low revs and it certainly did make a difference. There was not much difference in performance once the revs picked up, buit that was because the chip was optimised for power at low RPM. I had problems with idling and Hound Dog would stall if I had the A/C on. I found that one rubber hose that may have had something to do with this was disconnected at one end while another rubber hose was missing completely from the engine. I removed the chip because I did not really need it but in the interim it seems to have developed legs while Hound Dog was being serviced, as it is now just missing.

Removal of the chip entails fitting a blanking/shorting plug in its place, a one-minute job and the chap did it for me for free.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Johannes van die See »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In my opinie maak jy nie n voud om die SAC conversion te doen as jy meer poeier soek nie, hier is my weergawe.

Ek was by SAC en het met die manne gesels voor ek die job laat doen het.

Blykbaar as jy vra vir die UniChip maar vra nie vir n spesifieke map setting nie dan sit hulle vir jou n 50/50 map setting chip in, wat beteken dat dit gestel is vir 50% consumption en 50% performance.

Wat wil jy uit jou SAC conversion he?

Wel ek het vir die manne gese ek is klaar gewoond aan swak brandstof verbruik so gee my 100% performance!, No problem, die UniChip was ge-remap volgens wat ek wou he en ek is nie vir een dag spyt nie, my brandstof verbruik het verbeter want ek trap daai lepel nie meer so diep vir die krag wat ek soek nie maar ek het sakke vol poeirs ekstra!
Mens kan n map selctor switch ook laat installeer maar dit is veel duurder en volgens my nie die moeite werd nie.

Doen jouself n guns en gaan raadpleeg SAC eers en hoor of hulle vir jou die conversion kan doen met n meer economic map setting.

Ek het die SAC UniChip met full performance map setting, Powerflow exhaust, en branches laat doen, geen head of air filter jobs nie.
Nadat ek die 33" Bighorns maak pas het, het ek baie krag op die 2.7 verloor, dit is hoekom ek die rigting genaan het, en nou is ek weer baie gelukkig, kom toes my loerie as jy wil. Piet Petoors het self erken dat my Hilux lekker trek met die 33" en n boot agterna, vra hom maar wat hy dink......
http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters
AllTerrain
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 3.0 D-4D 4x4 Automatic Legend 40

Post by AllTerrain »

My 2 cents...

I drive a chipped 2005 Legend35 IFS 4x4 2.7. My dad drives a 2001 IFS 4x4 2.7, not chipped, however he does have a branch/exhaust conversion.
Both our bakkies have the same tyre size. One major difference is, his extras are heavier than mine

I bought my bakkie already chipped, but obviously knows what my dad's bakkie drives like. You can definitely feel the difference with a chipped bakkie. I get a very consistent 7 km/l, with a lot of power. Very lekker for dune driving as well!

If I had to have a 2.7 without a chip, will I chip it again? Most definitely.
Uncle Et
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: 2.7i Hilux

Post by Uncle Et »

I have a 2003 Hilux and had it chipped on 34000 km. There was a huge difference at top end, 34% more power. At 170 000km had it checked after replacing a coil and the power was even more. Now the temperature and pressure might have been different than the first time.
Peak torque moved from 4000rpm to 2000rpm and it resulted in better drive-ability.
Fuel consumption? I don't know if it is better but i get about on average 7.2 km/l at 120 km/h GPS speed.
Will i do it again? Yes! it helps in the namib desert and when you get the odd dice with a 3.0 l....
I will try and post the graphs
Uncle Et
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: 2.7i Hilux

Post by Uncle Et »

The graphs of the dyno tests.
Attachments
Doc1.docx
(14.26 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
yotaman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by yotaman »

I follow this thread with great interest. I see the results re: chipping or not to chip, lean towards "YES" its worth it. I'm almost convinced it depends who does the job. SAC I think wins the day for me.
Still have'nt made a decision whether to chip, go stage 2, 3 or supercharge. What is a definite is the fact that I will not leave it to remain standard. I must admit its kinda nice to sit and watch/contemplate even if just for a while longer
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
ChrisSwart
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johanesburg
Vehicle: 1999 2700i Hi Lux

Post by ChrisSwart »

I put a freeflow pipe on my 2.7 about a year ago and it is a lot better to drive, I have never had the bakkie on a dyno (before or after) so I can't coment on actual improvement, it just feels better.

The old exhaust needed replacement and a freeflow pipe was the same price as a bolt on Bosal, would not have done it otherwise.
In my oppinion, it is not worth spending the money if the original exhaust is still in good condition. Just my 2CW
Last edited by ChrisSwart on Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
Club VHF Licence: B338

Post by Ali3n »

My 2 c worth…

My father-in-law recently only had his 2.7 chipped, no free flow. On the dyno print out it mad a big difference. (will scan and post tomorrow). I personally tested the vehicle all over and I could feel a difference. Most noticeable was driving 55 km/h in 5th gear going around a corner with no hiccups and as smooth as a baby’s bottom. Long road it does better on fuel but fuel econ depends on your driving style. You can feel the power. I personally would recommend it. After all, his Hilux might just become mine someday. :twisted: Good luck with your decision. Tough one.
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"
yotaman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by yotaman »

Tks Chris / Francisco - I see another West Rander on the forum - Westonaria!

Albert Einstein
Gideonvanzyl
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 D/C 4x4

Post by Gideonvanzyl »

Good luck with your choice, the supercharger option sounds awsome. If money was not an issue, I would have gone this route.
Toyota Hilux 2.7 Legend 35 (Bullnose) 2003 d/cab 4x4 with Cooper Discoverer AT 3's on with unichip and Powerflow exhaust. Name: Blouwillebees
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

interesting thread
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Ali3n »

Here is the pic of my father-in-law's dyno print out from SAC Vanderbijlpark. Unfortunately I am unable to scan in colour but the I think you will be able to make it out. :thumbup:
Attachments
dyno small.JPG
dyno small.JPG (22.67 KiB) Viewed 11633 times
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
yotaman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by yotaman »

Tks francisco - the graph confirms the statements and other graphs I've laid eyes on. Condidering that the majority of comments from people evident in this thread are pleased with the chipping option for the 2.7i, and the cash lay out of +- R9K for a SAC chip, mapping, FF s/Steel exhaust and performance filter it sure looks like it may be worth the effort/expenditure.

Albert Einstein
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Ali3n »

yotaman wrote:Tks francisco - the graph confirms the statements and other graphs I've laid eyes on. Condidering that the majority of comments from people evident in this thread are pleased with the chipping option for the 2.7i, and the cash lay out of +- R9K for a SAC chip, mapping, FF s/Steel exhaust and performance filter it sure looks like it may be worth the effort/expenditure.
From one West Rander to another, I would not hesitate to have it done! :thumbup: :thumbup:
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”