What to do with R10000?

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
grobbepj
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

What to do with R10000?

Post by grobbepj »

Okay this might sound silly but everytime I walk through any 4x4 store I want to buy some other "essential" thing. Now if I am looking to spoil my Legend 35 kzte a bit what do I do next?? I have the following:
OME suspension (with gabriel safari shocks)
ARB lockers
Long range tank
Cruise control
Alucab canopy and drawer system
Helia spots on bullbar
Intercooler and unichip.
What do I do next?? I have heard of rock sliders, replacement bumpers, winches, EGT monitors, tyre pressure monitors, dual battery systems, awnings and a lot more. We want to use the Legend mostly for touring, camping but also enjoy the weekend trials. So it needs to be a blend. Or do I just keep
The money in the bank and wait for the tyres to wear down?? Any ideas welcome... I am ussually a sucker for gadgets and spend too easliy on my Toy...
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Re: What to do with R10000?

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

I would've suggested a roof rack, but I'm sure you have one?

If I had 10k to spoil my Legend35, I'd do a body and suspension lift. Next I'd fit Bilstein fully adjustable shocks.

T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
TOYODA
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '89 YN67R with Ford V6 3.0

Post by TOYODA »

For touring, I'll go the Alucab canopy and drawer system or long range tank.

For trails, I'll upgrade the suspension or ARB lockers.

Or, save another R20k and buy more than one thing at a later stage.
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

Legend35-ZN wrote:I would've suggested a roof rack, but I'm sure you have one?

If I had 10k to spoil my Legend35, I'd do a body and suspension lift. Next I'd fit Bilstein fully adjustable shocks.

T
Thanks
Just bought a roof rack for the canopy and is busy building a smaller frame/ rack to fit on the alucab...hopefully to support a 2nd spare wheel and some odds and ends. Camping gear also needs some upgrading...
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

grobbepj wrote:
Legend35-ZN wrote:I would've suggested a roof rack, but I'm sure you have one?

T
Thanks
Just bought a roof rack for the canopy and is busy building a smaller frame/ rack to fit on the alucab...hopefully to support a 2nd spare wheel and some odds and ends. Camping gear also needs some upgrading...
Hi Pieter, I know, you beat me by 30 seconds on the RR :celebrate:

I've got an African Outback on my cab, I've been looking for one for the alucab :surrender:

You should try and see Donkey's Hilux with the suspension and body lift, awesome looking truck.

T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Aesthetics are great, but I would concentrate more on functionality.

If you're going to be doing a lot of camping and if you're going to haul a camping trailer or heavy load, an EGT might be a good thing. Then perhaps go through your camping equipment and make sure it's all necessary stuff and that it's all in serviceable condition. Do a few practise outings to see what you can do without and that what you have is doing for you what you expect of it before doing equipment upgrades or buying more.

Sliders are great for sill / door protection, but are more for the rougher trails .... good to have them though because sometimes even over-landers encounter some rough areas. In addition they can provide useful jack-points.

A winch is seldom necessary but when you travel alone it provides assurance / peace of mind. When you do need one, it's an invaluable bit of kit.

Perhaps then you can look at items that are practical but have more aesthetic value, like an integrated bull-bar and bumper.

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Hi Pieter

Couldn't agree more with what is suggested above. Once you have a clear purpose/function/intention of what you need the truck for, that helps to decide what's needs in term of accesories.

@ Tony - thank you :welcome:

But here's what I've learnt so far:

1. Standard suspension is not adequate - but you're sorted out in this dept already
2. Off-road bumper = better approach angle = extra weight up front (extra weight also if you plan on a winch)
3. Good suspension means nothing without good tekkies, I prefer muds which = noise for other people (I love the sound anyway) - 31's are an adequate and give enough lift for a dual purpose truck i.e. overlander and weekend trials.
4. More weight = more consumption, but you should not be complaining about that if you drive a 4x4 anyway (so learn to pack light) and teach Swambo also how to pack light (good luck on this!). Last outing mine made jelly and insisted on some leafy stuff for supper - a 60 ltr fridge can only take so much, and my mother's milk was compromised as a result :aggresive:
5. Snorkel is a need.
6. Adequate recovery kit - I'm still working on this, is a need (also eats up space)
7. Compressor = need
8. Fire extinguisher = need (have 1 x 1kg at least) - this saved my truck from burning last year.
9. All accesories you wire up, make sure you solder and insulate properly, loose connections = risk of fire.
10. Medical kit = need.
11. Off-road radio = good to have if travelling with someone or a group, a good buy if you ask me.
12. Have an extra tent for kitchen/changeroom for Swambo - makes her feel accomodated and she'll be a lot more willing to come with next time, nothing is worse than a grumpy co-pilot on a long road
13. LED spotlights is now the way to go - my next project (also require less current to work)

The list is endless but once need to buy according to need as opposed to wants/good to have/for looks.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Donkey you be on the right track.... :clap:

First identify the purpose, then prioritize your equipment/purchases in terms of essential, nice-to-have and sommer for the fun of it in order for your vehicle to fulfill its purpose. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Lots of money has been wasted by many people (including myself) on purchases that after a while does not have a purpose any longer and ends up gathering dust in the garage. :silent: :silent:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

The best treat for your lux is to take it in a long trip.R5000 for fuel and R5000 for food and accomodation :celebrate:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
ForYota
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: Sold my beloved Lux..

Post by ForYota »

The money in the bank and wait for the tyres to wear down - Dink daai is jou antwoord vir nou...

Of skenk dit aan iemand met n SFA :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :siffler:
ImageImageImageImage

If I can't go in my Hilux I ain't Going
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

Thanks Donkey! Some nice ideas. The snorkel, compressor, fire extinguisher and medical kit I have. The SWAMBO education is a slow process... Especially with 2 toddlers in the mix. I am looking onto the radio thing as it makes the trials much more fun if there is communication between the cars. Can you post a pic of your bakkie? Im curious...
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

george wrote:The best treat for your lux is to take it in a long trip.R5000 for fuel and R5000 for food and accomodation :celebrate:
i like!! Also leaning towards this... And SWAMBO support is much easier on this option as oppase to new toys...
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

grobbepj wrote:
george wrote:The best treat for your lux is to take it in a long trip.R5000 for fuel and R5000 for food and accomodation :celebrate:
i like!! Also leaning towards this... And SWAMBO support is much easier on this option as oppase to new toys...

why is that we need to justify all the toys? is it not enough we just want to enjoy the finer things in life? they have there chat rooms with other mommies, we have THE LUXES to care for
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
Club VHF Licence: B338

Post by Ali3n »

MMMMM, R10k wont get me far... :twisted:
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

skenk maar aan die man as jy regtig niks kan vind om te doen met dit nie. kan dit BAIE goed aanvent.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

Hope this helps. Below the RTT is a kitchen that can cater for 4. Fridge sits behind my seat (seat is cut and fridge permanently mount), so in effect it's a 3 seater.

Future projects include:

Long range tank, make space for tools/recovery stuff, make slides in the bin because stuff gets wet and dusty (will be aluminium to save on weight), rear wheel carrier with recovery and hi-lift points, rock sliders. Behind the rear seat sits the back wall organiser, very handy (from Niel - Thunder 02), have a dash cover for smaller things, little inverter to charge laptoppies on the go.
The rest of the stuff appears on my profile, got the truck standard like yours and built it to how I want it and have it now over the last 4 yrs. Note the 3rd extinguisher on the load bars, just in case truck is locked and momentarily cannot find keys, :thumbup:
Attachments
DSCF7370.JPG
Serindipity
(66.58 KiB) Downloaded 1235 times
Photo%20May%2005,%2010%2006%2033%20AM.jpg
Serindipity1
(139.96 KiB) Downloaded 1235 times
Photo%20May%2005,%2010%2017%2052%20AM.jpg
Serindipity
(145.94 KiB) Downloaded 1235 times
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Best mod I did on my truck was the intercooler and chip!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

Nice truck Donkey!!! Cant help but live our toys...
Thanks for the sharing. I like the idea of a rear seat organiser to pack some of the recovery gear ets stowed away. Utilising the available spaces. Will do some searching...
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Thank you, sir :welcome:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
4x4Maniac
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Hilux 1 wrote:
grobbepj wrote:

why is that we need to justify all the toys? is it not enough we just want to enjoy the finer things in life? they have there chat rooms with other mommies, we have THE LUXES to care for
Correct we men have the LUXES to care for and they women have LUX to care for them. :evil:
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I have heard of rock sliders, replacement bumpers,.....
I would have started at the rock sliders

It prevent very expensive damage to your cab and that damage happens much quicker than one think.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

pietpetoors wrote:
I have heard of rock sliders, replacement bumpers,.....
I would have started at the rock sliders

It prevent very expensive damage to your cab and that damage happens much quicker than one think.
Any suggestions on a brand or where to start the window shopping? Any idea of the price range? Dumb Q: dont they lower the ground clearance? I see some trials mention to remove any running boards ( or does this not hold for rock sliders?)
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=31144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Speak to Francina :thumbup: , rock sliders do not affect ground clearance, standard side steps offer no protection whatsoever, you may want to remove them while in a good condition and sell them for a six pack of mother's milk or something.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

Donkey wrote:viewtopic.php?f=41&t=31144

Speak to Francina :thumbup: , rock sliders do not affect ground clearance, standard side steps offer no protection whatsoever, you may want to remove them while in a good condition and sell them for a six pack of mother's milk or something.
The previuos owner already removed the side steps...
Wow it seems like a cool design for rock sliders. Lived the idea of hi lift jack points (a hi lift jack is on my list but dont currently have jacking points). Did you build the sliders yourself or did he design and build the sliders?? My diy skills with a welder is shocking...
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

The Bakkie so far...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370012976.119371.jpg
louis fourie
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Thabogrobler wrote:Best mod I did on my truck was the intercooler and chip!
+1
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

If you go offroading now and you damage your door sill they will most probably have to cut out a piece to repair. It is not a just a loose panel to be replaced.
With proper rock sliders you do not loose much ground clearance, they far better than the useless aluminium steps that comes standard.

As for supplier?; don't you have a handy friend? Most dealers charge about R5,000 to R6,000 for a set which can cost you less that R2,000 if u build it yourself, but it will take 2 Saturdays of your time.

Check out these posts, they the same as your model Hilux
viewtopic.php?p=1182#p1182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and
viewtopic.php?p=330102#p330102" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

pietpetoors wrote:If you go offroading now and you damage your door sill they will most probably have to cut out a piece to repair. It is not a just a loose panel to be replaced.
With proper rock sliders you do not loose much ground clearance, they far better than the useless aluminium steps that comes standard.

As for supplier?; don't you have a handy friend? Most dealers charge about R5,000 to R6,000 for a set which can cost you less that R2,000 if u build it yourself, but it will take 2 Saturdays of your time.

Check out these posts, they the same as your model Hilux
viewtopic.php?p=1182#p1182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and
viewtopic.php?p=330102#p330102" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wish!!! George's ones is excellent (both are). After our weekend at Berakah I can see where this will be useful. There were some seriuos rocks and some
Of the guys' vehicles got damaged who did not have the ground clearance. Will definetely look into options for this... Thanks.

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”