IFS Suspension upgrade and Seats

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
Worldwideworker

IFS Suspension upgrade and Seats

Post by Worldwideworker »

Gentleman

Congratulations on a great and informative site! I need your advice on topics that have probably been flogged like a dead horse.

1. I have a KZ-TE 2001 DC 4x4 (110 000km), and want to upgrade the suspension, with the main aim to obtain a softer ride. Currently stock standard suspension with Gabriel Safari shocks. According to Darrell the MIKEM upgrade will cause a 30mm lift at the rear with the option of adjusting the torsion bar in the front to obtain similar lift. Downside is possibly harder ride in front. One other option is the Procomp lift option, I assume, but we're probably looking at R20 000 for this option as new rear leafsprings are not included in the standard kit. I do not mind spending the money to obtain an exellent result.

2. In addition I want to throw out the seats (front and rear); mention was made of BMW 3 series, Corolla, Tazz and RunX. Are there any aftermarket seats available and does anyone have experience in changing seats on this model?

I appreciate your input on the matter.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: IFS Suspension upgrade and Seats

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi WWW,

Welcome to the forum! We try to be informative :)

I have OME suspension all round on the 1999 2.7i, and the ride is a definite improvement on the original suspension. Having said that, the vehicle was only some three weeks old when I did the conversion, so the suspension had not yet seated in.

The OME was firm at first, but like all suspensions, it soon settled in and gives a most pleasant ride, not harsh at all. My torsion bars were adjusted for about a 50mm lift to match the lift I gained in the rear.

Where are you located? If you intend selling your old seats, please keep me in mind, I would be interested in purchasing same for my SFA.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Worldwideworker

Thanks u F_D

No sweat. You can have the seats. No cost. Just moved to George. I'll be down there again in 2 weeks and so, as soon as I have an alternative sorted out, we can arrange to have it sent up to you.

Regards
Worldwideworker

F_D

Leather seats, grey, exellent condition.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Shot - I will arrange for collection when you are ready :)

Much appreciated.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Hi WWW

I bought a Procomp kit for my SFA and to be honest I was not too impressed. At the price you mentioned I am sure you can get away with OME at much less and then you can have the confidence that it has been used successfully by others.
Worldwideworker

Thank you Benhur

Appreciate your advice.

Now is there anyone out there with experience in changing the front and rear seats on this particular model?
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Justin (Cookie Monster) posted a thread here on replacing his SFA seats with BMW seats, not sure how it would relate to the IFS models, but can't be too different.

The thought arose that Jazz/Conquest seats do not give enough comfort adjustment, likewise for Cressida seats. I wonder how Camry seats would fit?

-F_D

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

One thing about Camry seats. The original leather was not of too great a quality. Luckily when I bought my wife's Camry the seats were newly re-abolstered but when I was looking at different Camry's ( +-10years old) most had cracked leather. If I compare it to the BMW seats I am used to the quality is rather bad. And comfy wise as well the BMW seats are far superior then any Toy seat I ever sat in, and I am very critical about seats comfortability do to my size ( my friends do not call me tiny for nothing :shock: )
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi WWW

Welcome to the forum quick question what is the reson for changing the seats? As this info may help with the desition on what seats to fit :D
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Worldwideworker

Reason for changing seats: generally not very supportive seats and base too short; thus not very comfortable seats for long distance driving.

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”